AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Kyubi

Country flag
I would like to ask some pertinent question regarding the development process of AMCA, here in DFI we have had reports of initial CFD simulations carried out on the scaled down version of AMCA and now that the project will be started with renewed interest and possibly increased funding in years to come, my question to the senior members of DFI is that would there be a case study on other similar stealth class related projects irrespective of size and role of the aircrafts?? I am talking about F-35 JSF in particular with its ever growing cost's, delay's and setbacks w.r.t relevance of stealth technology.

I am not talking about the implementation of stealth per se but the change in requirements of stealth technolgy, also what would be the impact of economy on such a project to ensure its viability or sustenance ? Is there a mechanism or a scientific methodology to forecast economic growth and its subsequent influence on such a project?? Would the development history of F-35 fighter both in terms of techonolgy, manufacturing, logistics, supply chain etc would these be taken into account while developing the AMCA..

I would be very great-full if you following can pitch in on this and share information on this. Thank you.
@Kunal Biswas @ersakthivel @cobra commando @Twinblade @Ray @p2prada

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In Indian context, ADA would be more focus looking at Tejas development rather F35, We have enough technology to develop our own Stealth AMCA but coz of lack of specialized people, They are only able to focus on one at a time ..

The experienced learned at MK1 development are taken into account when making MK2, I am sure these experience would be taken when developing AMCA ..

Kyubi

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas i agree that the experience gained will be utilized for mk2 but that's a different ball game here we may have to deal with a whole new level of technology that at present we may not have the necessary infrastructure nor the technical know how of it, it may like reinventing the wheel as was in the case of Tejas where we went ahead with a tried, tested and proven airframe and built our aerospace industries. all that is commendable but here sir the case is slightly more complicated here we are dealing with a more advanced technology about which we have just started to grasp essence of it how do you think we can move forward from where we stand now ?? you say that first MK1 then MK2 and then AMCA , don't you think we might just as well fall into the same trap as in with TEJAS over time frame (also cannot claim embargo's or sanctions for reasons) etc..

My 2nd question to you is would the development process of F-35 be studied so as to improvise and create redundancies in various systems to minimize the offset costs?? I bet even T-90 tanks would have been exhaustively studied to improvise certain aspects of tank architecture in Arjun MBT

p2prada

I would like to ask some pertinent question regarding the development process of AMCA, here in DFI we have had reports of initial CFD simulations carried out on the scaled down version of AMCA and now that the project will be started with renewed interest and possibly increased funding in years to come, my question to the senior members of DFI is that would there be a case study on other similar stealth class related projects irrespective of size and role of the aircrafts?? I am talking about F-35 JSF in particular with its ever growing cost's, delay's and setbacks w.r.t relevance of stealth technology.
Yes, all current and future technology roadmaps will be studied before undertaking a project of this magnitude. ADA will benefit from the development of LCA while HAL will benefit from the development of Rafale, Super MKI and FGFA. The various companies related to these aircraft will also pool in their experience to help build AMCA. BEL, SAMTEL, ASTRA Microwave etc will also bring in their respective experiences.

I am not talking about the implementation of stealth per se but the change in requirements of stealth technolgy, also what would be the impact of economy on such a project to ensure its viability or sustenance ? Is there a mechanism or a scientific methodology to forecast economic growth and its subsequent influence on such a project??
Our threat environment outweighs the economic importance of this project.

Would the development history of F-35 fighter both in terms of techonolgy, manufacturing, logistics, supply chain etc would these be taken into account while developing the AMCA..
Without direct involvement in the F-35 program, it won't help much with AMCA. We have Rafale, Super MKI and FGFA anyway. So all 5th gen relevant technologies will already be gained from these projects. Foreign collaboration in certain technologies will help too. We will need Russian/European/American help for engines, Israeli help for radar, EW suite and networking and so on.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In terms of catagory, Indeed ..

But like i said, We have technology to have our own Stealth fighter AMCA by now, My confidence in this statement comes from those released data from DRDO tech focus articles where it is mentioned about radar reflective material and other stealth qualities being applied over Tejas and will be more in Tejas MK2, So does statement from Ex- DRDO chief about MK3, AMCA can be upgraded in production model rather in Prototype model which are main reason for delays. Other Countries follow the earlier suit..

Indeed, In development of Arjun MK2 both T-90 and Arjun MK1 were studied to archive better design, But in case of F35, We dont have F35 but FGFA and Rafale in future, And we can have more improved version of AMCA ..

@Kunal Biswas i agree that the experience gained will be utilized for mk2 but that's a different ball game here we may have to deal with a whole new level of technology that at present we may not have the necessary infrastructure nor the technical know how of it, it may like reinventing the wheel as was in the case of Tejas where we went ahead with a tried, tested and proven airframe and built our aerospace industries. all that is commendable but here sir the case is slightly more complicated here we are dealing with a more advanced technology about which we have just started to grasp essence of it how do you think we can move forward from where we stand now ?? you say that first MK1 then MK2 and then AMCA , don't you think we might just as well fall into the same trap as in with TEJAS over time frame (also cannot claim embargo's or sanctions for reasons) etc..

My 2nd question to you is would the development process of F-35 be studied so as to improvise and create redundancies in various systems to minimize the offset costs?? I bet even T-90 tanks would have been exhaustively studied to improvise certain aspects of tank architecture in Arjun MBT

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Are we sure that AMCA has fixed vertical stabilizers ? as far as we know through net is few animation at most, Its still in design phase ..

My question is related to my previous poast.wh question is.Why AMCA has fixed vertical stabilizers instead of allmoving vertical stabilizers just like pakfa.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
My question is related to my previous poast.wh question is.Why AMCA has fixed vertical stabilizers instead of allmoving vertical stabilizers just like pakfa.
There is a massive weight difference between AMCA and PAKFA. Control surfaces are designed keeping in mind the total weight , engine thrust, and aerodynamic considerations of the whole airframe.

So there is no point in getting fixated on one control surface as a silver bullet.

ubuntu

Tihar Jail
Banned
There is a massive weight difference between AMCA and PAKFA. Control surfaces are designed keeping in mind the total weight , engine thrust, and aerodynamic considerations of the whole airframe.

So there is no point in getting fixated on one control surface as a silver bullet.
I was thinking Fixed is 4th generation and all moving 5+ generation.correct me if i am wrong.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I was thinking Fixed is 4th generation and all moving 5+ generation.correct me if i am wrong.
One control surface does not make a 5th gen fighter. it is a total air frame solution that makes the difference.

Jagdish58

One cannot blame Russia their preference will be PAK FA complition , Indian Airforce has to make decision do they need FGFA if they put their money on LCA Mk3,AMCA,Rafale & Super sukhoi-30??

Instead of spending on Russian industry were they are not ready to give king share of partnership in project because they know soon for upgrades DRDO & HAL will not depend on them for FGFA hence it will be like cutting the duck which lays golden egg with equal share of partnership

Governtment of India & DRDO should make swift decision on AMCA taking reluctant Airforce & supportive Indian anvy into confidence & start up AMCA
If HAL order book involveing private company in big way

Please do not fall pray to attractive foreign toy & end up like T-90 saga & INS Vikramaditya:mad:

aerokan

Country flag

Santu

Hope they finalized design and started working on prototype.. Any updates??

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Will Kaveri with higher thrust be ready for powering AMCA??:rolleyes:
Lol kaveri will be used by Indian railway and Indian navy and even that is not a surity.
Some people even claim that kaveri will be powering AURA UCAV.

Glint

Country flag
Some people even claim that kaveri will be powering AURA UCAV.
By that do you mean the "Wikipedia" ?
Cause I found this when i was looking for "GTRE GTX-35VS"

-The Indian government plans to adapt and further develop the Kaveri engine design and technology to create a gas-turbine power-plant for armored fighting vehicles such as the Arjun tank.
-Kaveri Marine Gas Turbine (KMGT), a recently developed derivative of the GTX-35VS Kaveri engine for ships.
-Indian Railways has expressed interest in utilizing Kaveri to power locomotives

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles