AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

The Mimic

Country flag
The engine developed for the AMCA Mk.2 will likely have much in common with the future propulsion plant of the European sixth-generation FCAS fighter, for which SAFRAN is the tri-national (Spain, France and Germany) project leader of that development pillar.

The signing of the contract could mean that India would finance part of the engine project for the future FCAS, lowering the costs of the program for the Europeans partners, or at least for the French side.

Source: https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/0...ine-for-amca-the-future-indian-5-gen-fighter/

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Yeah probably due to not enough airflow to create sufficient lift and the size of the air intakes to produce sufficient thrust.
F 35 has to carry huge payload from starting onwards as it was a multinational project and if the opening of envelope happened in stages it would have increased cost too much , as each plane had to be called to maintenance unit or factory for modifications and certification (although cost still inflated ,but reasons are different ) .

Blademaster

Even the Rafale can carry over 9 tons externally. It seems that stealth has forced the DRDO designers to make certain compromises with airflow efficiency.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Even the Rafale can carry over 9 tons externally. It seems that stealth has forced the DRDO designers to make certain compromises with airflow efficiency.
Amca is more leaned towards aerodynamics than any other 5th gen except ruskies who will suicide if one of their plane isn't maneuverable enough

Blademaster

Amca is more leaned towards aerodynamics than any other 5th gen except ruskies who will suicide if one of their plane isn't maneuverable enough
I think right now what we are seeing in modern day combat is that manueverability takes a lesser precedence than stealth. Stealth allows you to get in there undetected and you don't need to do fancy flying if no one can see you and you can slip by and drop your payload and get out undetected.

MonaLazy

It can only carry 6.5 tons? despite having two engines?? the F-35 can carry over 9 tons with one engine.
How is it possible that only AMCA has to sacrifice payload for steaith, but not F-35 which is also a steaith war plane?

Understating the specs has been a tradition with DRDO. The KF-21 with the same stealth "compromises" and the same engines will do about 7.7 tons- no reason for AMCA to be vastly inferior.

Serpentine intakes are a requirement of steaith design to shield engine from probing radar waves- that in turn lowers pressure recovery which is bad for thrust. Besides this delta wings for high lift are out of consideration because of stealth. But similar choices were made by all stealth planes.

Last edited:

karn

Country flag
I'm assuming that thrust vectoring will be there only on the amca mk2 . Cause 414 does not have thrust vectoring. Can anyone confirm this ?

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
I don't understand why you guys are worrying about AMCA's external payload carrying capacity. Don't you guys have anything better to ask? Like "what is the dimension of AMCA's weapon bay" or "how many Astra mk3 BVRAAM it can carry" or "can it carry 4 BVRAAM & 2 CCM missile at the same time in it's bay"?

AMCA is stealth plane which will be used in 99% of time in air superiority, SEAD & DEAD role. It's not a missile truck. We have Sukhois for that.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
The engine developed for the AMCA Mk.2 will likely have much in common with the future propulsion plant of the European sixth-generation FCAS fighter, for which SAFRAN is the tri-national (Spain, France and Germany) project leader of that development pillar.

The signing of the contract could mean that India would finance part of the engine project for the future FCAS, lowering the costs of the program for the Europeans partners, or at least for the French side.

Source: https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/0...ine-for-amca-the-future-indian-5-gen-fighter/
Not compulsarily but let's sincerely hope so. France has sometimes made independent decisions but it may also depend on influence of other members of FCAS/EU/NATO how much new technology would they want to be proliferated.
Apart from joint venture, our own R&D at GTRE, etc is also very important.

The Mimic

Country flag
naa...5 tons external + 1.5 ton internal....few pages back I had posted the screenshot about it...go check it
Yes, you are right. And for internal specs, it can carry 6.5 tons of fuel + 1.5 tons of weapons. Correct me if I am wrong. For almost around the same empty weight, F-35A can have MTOW to the extent of 31tons compared to 25tons of AMCA. F-35 can carry 8tons+ internal fuel. I think the reason is F-35 is geometrically a fat pig compared to AMCA. Only by looking at it, it is clear that AMCA is stealthier in aerodynamics. And for internal specs difference, I think AMCA will carry much more sensors internally (even more in Mk.2 version to make it as close to 6th gen as possible) than F-35...so only have 6.5 tons left for fuel which I think is very good if you want to make your fighter like F-22. AMCA can do all the things F-35 can. F-35 ﹰcan't supercruise. AMCA Mk.2 can do many things which F-35 can't even dream about. But what is surprising to me is that with lower internal fuel, how AMCA's combat range is more. What is the use of 8tons internal fuel capacity if your jet combat range is limited to 1400 km. Correct me if I am wrong always.

The Mimic

Country flag
How is it possible that only AMCA has to sacrifice payload for steaith, but not F-35 which is also a steaith war plane?

Understating the specs has been a tradition with DRDO. The KF-21 with the same stealth "compromises" and the same engines will do about 7.7 tons- no reason for AMCA to be vastly inferior.

Serpentine intakes are a requirement of steaith design to shield engine from probing radar waves- that in turn lowers pressure recovery which is bad for thrust. Besides this delta wings for high lift are out of consideration because of stealth. But similar choices were made by all stealth planes.
AMCA is not a dedicated air superiority fighter. It is a multirole fighter like F-35. But its makers wants to make it as simillar to F-22 and not F-35. AMCA is geometrically slimmer. That's why the difference I think.

johnj

Yes, you are right. And for internal specs, it can carry 6.5 tons of fuel + 1.5 tons of weapons. Correct me if I am wrong. For almost around the same empty weight, F-35A can have MTOW to the extent of 31tons compared to 25tons of AMCA. F-35 can carry 8tons+ internal fuel. I think the reason is F-35 is geometrically a fat pig compared to AMCA. Only by looking at it, it is clear that AMCA is stealthier in aerodynamics. And for internal specs difference, I think AMCA will carry much more sensors internally (even more in Mk.2 version to make it as close to 6th gen as possible) than F-35...so only have 6.5 tons left for fuel which I think is very good if you want to make your fighter like F-22. AMCA can do all the things F-35 can. F-35 ﹰcan't supercruise. AMCA Mk.2 can do many things which F-35 can't even dream about. But what is surprising to me is that with lower internal fuel, how AMCA's combat range is more. What is the use of 8tons internal fuel capacity if your jet combat range is limited to 1400 km. Correct me if I am wrong always.
F 35 can carry 1.1 ton weapon internally, others can't, it is the main advantage.
About range ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles