AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
I think its das[maws] not eots. das and eots both are eots.
I think it is AN/AAQ-37 DAS & not AN/AAQ-40 EOTS, but whichever it is, i think 1300Km is mind-blowing range. Sometimes i feel it is inflated figure to intimidate others.
It is said that an eagle can spot an ant while flying around at height of 10 level building, & human eye is around 576 MP. Then perhaps the DAS range might be possible.
The Russian OLS/IRST figure seems so inferior, i wonder how they reacted to this DAS video, if anybody knows pls share.
So for AMCA, to design a half-range sensor is also a challenge. People should ask the DoD guys about this & the DoD guys should give us some preliminary range like 300-500Km or something.

AZTEC

Country flag

johnj

I think it is AN/AAQ-37 DAS & not AN/AAQ-40 EOTS, but whichever it is, i think 1300Km is mind-blowing range. Sometimes i feel it is inflated figure to intimidate others.
It is said that an eagle can spot an ant while flying around at height of 10 level building, & human eye is around 576 MP. Then perhaps the DAS range might be possible.
The Russian OLS/IRST figure seems so inferior, i wonder how they reacted to this DAS video, if anybody knows pls share.
So for AMCA, to design a half-range sensor is also a challenge. People should ask the DoD guys about this & the DoD guys should give us some preliminary range like 300-500Km or something.
AN/AAQ-37 DAS having both irst and maws capability. Here it is like detecting pslv like rockets, huge heat signature. AN/AAQ-37 DAS having issue with irst capability, but AN/AAQ-40 EOTS irst is good but need upgrade. Agp 81 is the best sensor in f35, most advanced radar so far. I think LM making big claims to hide some issue and promise to fix later. I don't know LM fixed irst issues of das or not ?
In the case of amca, let see how sensor fusion of mwf works ? and maws ?

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
AN/AAQ-37 DAS having both irst and maws capability. Here it is like detecting pslv like rockets, huge heat signature. AN/AAQ-37 DAS having issue with irst capability, but AN/AAQ-40 EOTS irst is good but need upgrade. Agp 81 is the best sensor in f35, most advanced radar so far. I think LM making big claims to hide some issue and promise to fix later. I don't know LM fixed irst issues of das or not ?
EOTS is obviously better bcoz its aperture is bigger & with other moving optical parts of lenses & mirrors required. While the IRST capability of fixed DAS is possible due to digital image processing continiously tracking & classifying even the tiny suspicious sparks in FoV like a super CCTV cam. Same thing in F-22's AN/AAR-56 but no EOTS due to stealth concerns.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
The EOTS (Electro Optical Targeting System) which is to be added in AMCA has been confirmed to developed and is ready. Now Flight trials will be conducted to test the EOTS on a flying Testbed of DRDO.
I think they are testing bottom MAWS + fixed IRST with image processing, like in F-22, F-35, Su-57, Su-35-S, J-20, not the EOTS which requires moving sensor due to laser-designator function.
The tender doc says "mapping the IR data in industrial environment, regular terrain & sea environment".
Ad it is just 1st time preliminary research, the bump shape & size is not at all optimal for a stealth jet.
1646842149872.png

Even Su-35-S & J-20 have smaller aerodynamic sensors. And BTW, our MKI team is spending too much time in deciding the position of MAWS while the MKM has implemented at least something.

1646842102856.png
1646842309463.png

If AMCA's EOTS also includes LD function like in F-35 then it will be a big achievement.

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 142772View attachment 142773
Manufacturing Activities for AMCA has started but I am curious to know wwhat is meant by "RCS Test Box"? (Refer to 2nd Picture)
Okay but what actually is going on here?

1) HAL MD said AMCA (including prototypes) will be made by a SPV only, that doesn’t exist today*
2) it’s an RCS text box so is this unrelated to an airframe and just to be used to validate certain RCS parameters?

* as per HAL’s tweet they are working on behalf of ADA so this may not have anything to do with airframe production but a test piece ADA have outsourced

flanker99

Country flag
Okay but what actually is going on here?

1) HAL MD said AMCA (including prototypes) will be made by a SPV only, that doesn’t exist today*
2) it’s an RCS text box so is this unrelated to an airframe and just to be used to validate certain RCS parameters?

* as per HAL’s tweet they are working on behalf of ADA so this may not have anything to do with airframe production but a test piece ADA have outsourced
See the drdo twt i just posted

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
It appears to be leading-edge flaps, not just a test piece. I don't think HAL will make such a historic announcement if that metal is not actually a part of AMCA TD.
It could be but Leading-edge Flaps as you said but I am still curious why is it written "RCS Test Box" on the Metallic thick sheet below the Yellow arrangement which you are assuming to be 1 of the AMCA's Control Surfaces : Leading edge flaps.

Articles