AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

SavageKing456

Country flag
Yes. ACM Bhadauria said they are looking at 6th Gen concepts. Which is exactly what is needed. This time, it shouldn't be the same old "ASQR" crap. They need a dedicated team that shuttles between TACDE, ADA and College of Air Warfare. They need to develop the concept of a 6th Gen system of systems.

Had absolutely no idea that this was even possible for planes. How does it work?

Although this is not in use but still there's lot of research scope,we should not follow herd mentality after amca for 6th gen aircraft.

We should atleast begin research in that area and let's see what is the outcome if we managed to apply it then it would change how things work.

I'm serious

Last edited:

Trololo

Country flag
We must realize that in trying to catch up with Western military technology, we are trying to hit a fast moving target. Its clear that China and USA will field a 6th Gen in the early 2040s. I am talking with 2050 as the service date for our 6th Gen. This should be our goal if we aim to be a viable superpower. By 2050, Indian defence budget would be more than half the American budget, without the need to maintain an expensive list of foreign bases or forward positioning. Suffice it to say that in monetary terms, we would be putting in roughly the same amount of money as USA in military R&D in the late 2040s onwards (obviously, equal investment in R&D won't yeild us an equal result because we won't have the advantage of a knowledge based economy, knowledgr accrual, etc). Despite having such resources invested into R&D, if we are not aiming at being at least one step behind the Americans by then, it will be pointless. So we definitely should aim at fielding our 6th Gen fighter within 10-15 years of the Americans fielding theirs.

By 2036-37, ADA should be mostly free from AMCA Mk2 and there is no such thing as a TEDBF Mk2 yet. At that point, entire ADA and Air Force itself should start PDP on a 6th Gen fighter. Technologies required for it need to be developed continuously and in tandem with AMCA. While AMCA remains the focus area, there are technologies that will not make it into AMCA, but 6th gen fighter.

6th Gen is being defined as we speak and we don't know which way the meta will develop. But we do have some idea.
First off, the elimination of vertical stabilizers, canards, any other small feature on the fighter jet that can give a resonance return in the L-band. So while 5th Gen stealth is limited primarily to radar bands used for targeting (such as X and Ku bands), 6th Gen stealth will focus on being VLO even to early warning radars of L band. That alone affords a massive tactical advantage.
Another factor is that we need to think of 6th Gen as a system of systems. A 6th Gen fighter will only be a part of it. The wingman concept that is in its infancy with 5th Gen systems, will evolve to be far more distributed, connected, versatile and automated than the systems in design today.
Other areas include an adaptive cycle engine that will massively increase fuel efficiency and boost combat radius of 6th Gen planes.
Yet another area is CIWS. I believe 6th Gen planes will incorporate some form of missile and DEW based CIWS system, drastically improving their survivability beyond any 4th or 5th Gen airframe.
Increased computing power (enabled by increased electric power due to newer engines) will allow 6th Gen to launch coordinated cyber-EW attacks at unprcedented levels that will devastate enemy C2 networks and IADS.
Intelligent Vehicle Health Monitoring, self-healing and fault tolerance on 6th Gen planes will be a generation ahead of the 5th Gen counterparts.
6th Gen fighters will be more focused on air superiority role, thereby will likely be larger (Su-30, J-20 category), while also having a much larger internal weapons bay capability (entirely due to the adaptive cycle engines).

This is what I wrote about my understanding of a 6th Gen a few months ago:-

Yes some of these improvements, like advancements in AI, can be back-ported to 5th Gen. Yet others like L-band stealth, CIWS, larger weapons bay, better self-healing stealth materials can't be back-ported. Similar to how today you can only back-port part of the 5th Gen technologies to the 4th Gen airframe. So yeah, in 2035, it would be better to go for a new clean sheet design than to keep on sticking with AMCA upgrades till 2050. No doubt we should continue to buy and upgrade AMCAs, but the 6th Gen program needs to be started on the right time, or we lose our edge. The Chinese R&D would have matured by then, they'll be fielding formidable platforms against us.
In today's date it is possible to get massive amounts of onboard computing power in a small package with low power consumption. Fancy this architecture: A compute card with dual snapdragon 888s with 64 gb of onboard RAM. Slot 4 such cards together and interconnect the rams and persistent storages (regular tiny nvme ssds for e.g) using custom interconnects and you have a beast at hand with 32 CPU cores, 4 adreno 660 (idk how many gpu cores but each 660 is a monster). The hard part will be the software here which will need to tie all this together, along with the code that will run the onboard AI models. In fact such a system can be the entire mission computer.
I cited snapdragon 888 as an example. This can also be Indian RISC-V SoCs. So far the aircraft industry uses power pc based architectures for mission computers and microcontrollers for the FCS (since FCS is a tight rules based system you dont need massive computing power).
The RISC based system provides tremendous compute power with very low power consumption. We should absolutely leverage this. Commercial company ARM has shown what it can do. For EW the key thing will be onnboard electrical power generation. I do not know what is the current state of the art in this arena.

Last edited:

ALPHASsquad47

Country flag
The reason why the price difference is so high :
1. Astra, MMRFIC, Cyient have limited foundaries of GaN(all in abroad). Cyient and Astra in future will make GaN amplifiers in India, Cyient guys have good collab with IITs and IISc.
2. BEL, Datta Patterns, RFMW have good sources for GaN, thanks to Israel, Sweden and UK. Even BEL has inhouse GaN foundaries but their PSU mentality.
3.Centum guys have great capital and sourced foundaries, meanwhile they had invested in GaN early. They have plans for setting up foudaries in India.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
The reason why the price difference is so high :
1. Astra, MMRFIC, Cyient have limited foundaries of GaN(all in abroad). Cyient and Astra in future will make GaN amplifiers in India, Cyient guys have good collab with IITs and IISc.
2. BEL, Datta Patterns, RFMW have good sources for GaN, thanks to Israel, Sweden and UK. Even BEL has inhouse GaN foundaries but their PSU mentality.
3.Centum guys have great capital and sourced foundaries, meanwhile they had invested in GaN early. They have plans for setting up foudaries in India.
With reference to BEL. In light of points 2 & 3 mentioned, I am guessing, the price differential would largely be attributed to bloated costs on account of employee cost and overhead costs.

ALPHASsquad47

Country flag
With reference to BEL. In light of points 2 & 3 mentioned, I am guessing, the price differential would largely be attributed to bloated costs on account of employee cost and overhead costs.
Hence the reason why they lost to Astra Microwave for Uttam MK-2 radar. They got the ToT for Uttam Mk-1 from LRDE(we all know why) but for MK2, they couldn't beat the pricing

ALPHASsquad47

Country flag

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
This one is for Uttam Mk3. Radar of AMCA and maybe TEDBF. Super Su will have GaAs
Really? AMCA radar? Development complete so early? Man i am sorry but i am having a hard time believing this. About the Uttam mk2, according to Mr. Indranil Roy Uttam mk2 most probably going to have GaN based TSA antennas. And despite having GaN foundry why are we going for GaAs for Super Sukhoi?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Really? AMCA radar? Development complete so early? Man i am sorry but i am having a hard time believing this. About the Uttam mk2, according to Mr. Indranil Roy Uttam mk2 most probably going to have GaN based TSA antennas. And despite having GaN foundry why are we going for GaAs for Super Sukhoi?
Not ready but improving further

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles