AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

p2prada

Last checked a High Bypass ratio is feasible for requirements which demands good fuel economy or say thrust specific fuel consumption.
While low bypass turbo fans deliver a high power to weight ratio at the expense in fuel economy.
I think you misunderstood what Satish was trying to say.

He was comparing Kaveri's low bypass ratio to something like the higher level of bypass found on other more fuel efficient engines like the latest F-414 or M88-4E.

p2prada

2017 was the date specified by ADA. If the design is frozen this year, getting the AMCA flying by 2017 will not be quite realistic. 3-4 years to build the first prototype. Twice that of the FGFA.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
the first flight of LCA TD-1 was just seven years after the design freeze, For AMCA fly by wire tech development will be obviously shortened by the competence developed for the LCA fly by wire tech and control laws.

As this is the most critical technology ,besides stealth shaping. The initial stealth configuration seems to have been finished. And with the considerable experience of developing and testing LCA which too is a fully unstable fly by wire fighter with compound delta wing , the challenges on AMCA front are not as daunting as expected.

Only problem again will be the engine. The 3 year wasted negotiation time with snecma for k-10 development will be the most crucial issue for AMCA.

The initial prototypes may be powered by Ge engines(we have to get american concurrence for this. if not we may be forced to use k-9 , which could be flight certified on TEJAS prototypes ) which may not be ideal . But engine can be developed side by side as the test flight program develops,

Also the experiences gained for the AURA program too will play it's part in the aerodynamic configuration of stealth airframes,however smaller it may be.

Subsequent delays in LCA program was due to the wing redesign for the higher weight BVRs which impose much higher stress on airframe and change of specs dragging it to mk-2.

Well, lets hope the AMCA program won't be dragged through the same sordid requirement creep cycle.

Look at FGFA after much consternation we are quietly accepting a much lesser stealth ,single seater opposed to IAf demand of higher stealth,two seater variants.you can't fault SUKHOI for this, they have a production program to look after they refused IAf demands of fine tuning it further as FGFA. And delegated the responsibility to HAl.

I don't think HAl has any design experience to finetune a complex fighter like PAKFA. So in effect we are getting the same russian pakfa with some cosmetic changes.

So once specs are given they shouldn't be altered for AMCA.

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
the first flight of LCA TD-1 was just seven years after the design freeze, For AMCA fly by wire tech development will be obviously shortened by the competence developed for the LCA fly by wire tech and control laws.

As this is the most critical technology ,besides stealth shaping. The initial stealth configuration seems to have been finished. And with the considerable experience of developing and testing LCA which too is a fully unstable fly by wire fighter with compound delta wing , the challenges on AMCA front are not as daunting as expected.

Only problem again will be the engine. The 3 year wasted negotiation time with snecma for k-10 development will be the most crucial issue for AMCA...

Subsequent delays in LCA program was due to the wing redesign for the higher weight BVRs which impose much higher stress on airframe and change of specs dragging it to mk-2.

Well, lets hope the AMCA program won't be dragged through the same sordid requirement creep cycle...

So once specs are given they shouldn't be altered for AMCA.
Exactly! we have already worked hard for LCA to develop such critical technologies and that shouldn't be a bar to us to get the AMCA prototype soon in the air, I also feel that AMCA's main problem will be the engine able to provide sufficient thrust and supercruising capability, as other problems in designing a fighter aircraft have been understood and dealt with LCA project.

The Fox

its just a mock up or perhaps they might have a cannon in there

A chauhan

Country flag

Why this gap ? if you see F-22 and Pak-Fa there is no gap!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Why is that gap between the fuselage and the air intake at both the sides?? doesn't it creates drag during flying??
Those are diverters, without it can create uneven/irregular airflow inside the intake that can create shock waves and stall the engine.

a new innovative idea for fixed inlet is DSI that is employed in F-35/JF-17/J-20

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Correction PAK-FA should employ variable inlet to control airflow, Variable inlet is available in Su-27/30 models I think. While F-22 is fixed inlet design like that of AMCA.

Last edited:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Where is the intregrated IRST system :fu:

I hope it comes with retractable refueling pod fitted

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Why is that gap between the fuselage and the air intake at both the sides?? doesn't it creates drag during flying??
No. If you want to know why , You should look at the angle at which this gap smoothly curved down in this photo.

prestigiousindian

Look at the two pics the distance between the wings and the horizontal stabilizer seems large. And the vertical stabilizers are placed such that it fills that gap. I think u get what i meant to say... Pls explain why the latest pic luk different. I hope my question is atleast little meaningful.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
The total configuration should have been changed according to latest ASR from IAf is the only possible explanation.

the wing shapes are completely different.

prestigiousindian

Lot of things look differnt even the older wind tunnel testing model looked better.... Hope DRDO n HAL don mess it..........

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Look at the two pics the distance between the wings and the horizontal stabilizer seems large. And the vertical stabilizers are placed such that it fills that gap. I think u get what i meant to say... Pls explain why the latest pic luk different. I hope my question is atleast little meaningful.
more length means more space for weapons, just my guess.

A chauhan

Country flag
^^ + it may have given better aerodynamic results than the old model :notsure:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles