AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

p2prada

The point is we should develop a fully indigenous engine which has equal thrust of FGFA engine.

Kaveri Mk-2 is for AMCA and MK-3 for FGFA

We can use kaveri Mk-3 for LCA Mk-3(If we develop a stealth variant like F-35 in future) as well.
Oh! You mean our own engine for the FGFA. I would rather have us start development of own heavy 6th gen UCAV by 2025 and develop an engine for it instead.

I meant a whole new engine design for our own AMCA rather than having a Snecma-GTRE engine on the operational models.

Time will tell.

LCA Mk3 will never happen though. AMCA is a way better option. It will either be an AMCA or a LCA Mk3. Pick your choice.

p2prada

As AMCA is going to be twin engined I dont think each engine must have 120 KN. But having 120KN will help when they make rectangular exhausts for IR signature reduction.
I based the 120KN more on powering avionics like Plasma stealth, High powered radar and jammer, directed energy weapons, HPW etc rather than aiding it's flying capabilities.

plugwater

Kaveri is not an heavy class engine It is a smaller engine. You cant compare AL 31 with the RD-33 can you? They belong to different classes and Kaveri has it's limits. We can just use what we learnt from Kaveri and use it to develop a new engine of the heavy class.
I may have mentioned it as Kaveri Mk-3 but what i meant was a entirely new engine.

Oh! You mean our own engine for the FGFA. I would rather have us start development of own heavy 6th gen UCAV by 2025 and develop an engine for it instead.

I meant a whole new engine design for our own AMCA rather than having a Snecma-GTRE engine on the operational models.

Time will tell.

LCA Mk3 will never happen though. AMCA is a way better option. It will either be an AMCA or a LCA Mk3. Pick your choice.
AMCA anyday :)

With our reputation of completing projects on time i would not wish GTRE to develop an engine without any help.

p2prada

With our reputation of completing projects on time i would not wish GTRE to develop an engine without any help.
I don't mind a JV. But the Snecma-Kaveri engine is actually the M-88-2/3. It is not our own engine, it only uses parts of the Kaveri around the M-88 core.

A whole new engine with the latest 5th gen designs would be more welcome. JV or not, it does not matter. We can have Honeywell, Snecma, Saturn or even GE on the project.

The AL-41 being used on the PAKFA is considered to be an obsolete design and Saturn will develop an entirely new engine with new digital controls. If you consider the fact that compared to AL-41 our Kaveri is already obsolete, it obviously comes to light that we will need an entirely new engine for our production variant.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
I based the 120KN more on powering avionics like Plasma stealth, High powered radar and jammer, directed energy weapons, HPW etc rather than aiding it's flying capabilities.
Well if I am right it is the onboard generator that generates power for electronic appliances. and I dont think that a twin engine aircraft is yet capable of powering a plasma generator. High power Radar and Jammer I understand...But plasma generator? not yet.

p2prada

Well if I am right it is the onboard generator that generates power for electronic appliances. and I dont think that a twin engine aircraft is yet capable of powering a plasma generator. High power Radar and Jammer I understand...But plasma generator? not yet.
2025 is a long way off. :)

plugwater

I don't mind a JV. But the Snecma-Kaveri engine is actually the M-88-2/3. It is not our own engine, it only uses parts of the Kaveri around the M-88 core.

A whole new engine with the latest 5th gen designs would be more welcome. JV or not, it does not matter. We can have Honeywell, Snecma, Saturn or even GE on the project.

The AL-41 being used on the PAKFA is considered to be an obsolete design and Saturn will develop an entirely new engine with new digital controls. If you consider the fact that compared to AL-41 our Kaveri is already obsolete, it obviously comes to light that we will need an entirely new engine for our production variant.
Yes, We are only funding for Mk-2 but we don't have any other choice, do we ?

We need this engine before 2015 for AMCA.

We can start working in a new indigenous engine in parallel for 6th gen UAV or whatever aircraft with deadline 2025.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Kavari is good Engine so does F414 and other in same class...

AL-XX are big and very powerful, The are deigned for SU-30MKI and Other Heavy fighters..

Kavari and other in same class are for medium fighter and Light fighters..

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I would feel more convinced about the AMCA when I see the first prototype in flight. Till then the whole AMCA is still "up in the air". :-D

SuperCommandoDhruv

Tihar Jail
Banned
Kaveri is near success. That's why Snecma is jumping in now.

Dump Snecma import deal and let Kaveri finish off that last 10% in next 3 years. Stop jumping on GTRE's heads and let them finish their job.

India will not die, if it delays LCA-Mk2 induction by 3 years.

Last edited:

gogbot

Kaveri is near success. That's why Snecma is jumping in now.

Dump Snecma import deal and let Kaveri finish off that last 10% in next 3 years. Stop jumping on GTRE's heads and let them finish their job.

India will not die, if it delays LCA-Mk2 induction by 3 years.
Kaveri is both overweight and underpowered .
IAF wont use the engine in it's current form.

GTRE would need more materials research before then can even get the project one , it would cause inevitable delays in development and then testing of each individual technology.

And IAF will not induct LCA at all if it is delayed by 3 years.
Just Like IA does not want to Induct Arjun today.

Even IN will follow suit if it's nearing 2020 and LCA-N is nowhere to be seen due to engine issues.

It takes years to test the aircraft and even more to fully induct them , 3 years is far to long.

IF you want the engine in time for Tejas MkII , Schema has to bought in to provide the core of the engine and our Kaveri remodeled to fit around. The Kabani cores are not up to the mark yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrj

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Kaveri-Snecma engine to power AMCA ? | idrw.org

If sources are to be believed ADA has send a Technical requirement detail for the engines which will power India's locally developed 5th Generation fighter aircraft to the GTRE recently .ADA which is the prime development organisation of the Advance Medium Combat Aircraft is looking for an engine in 100 to 110 kn thrust range, and while the work on the preliminary designs are almost done and work on the AMCA Project will officially began from July 2011 onwards for which 2 billion Dollars have already been allocated for the AMCA Project.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Kaveri-Snecma engine to power AMCA ? | idrw.org

If sources are to be believed ADA has send a Technical requirement detail for the engines which will power India's locally developed 5th Generation fighter aircraft to the GTRE recently .ADA which is the prime development organisation of the Advance Medium Combat Aircraft is looking for an engine in 100 to 110 kn thrust range, and while the work on the preliminary designs are almost done and work on the AMCA Project will officially began from July 2011 onwards for which 2 billion Dollars have already been allocated for the AMCA Project.

DarklordRehan

Ideally AMCA should use 120 kN engines owing to its projected supercruise capabilities. Initial models can be powered by 95 kN Kaveri Mk2. But production models should have higher thrust.

Though many are skeptical about AMCA project, I am pretty sure DRDO will meet its 2017 first flight timeframe. DRDO has already achieved 94% Stealth.

NASHIK, December 31: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Air Force (IAF) jointly experimenting with the development of a Stealth aircraft, have achieved 94 per cent of radar invisibility.
According to Squadron Leader K P Gawd (from 7 Base Repair Dept, Air Force Station, Tughlakabad), who presented a paper on "Steps towards fabrication of an invisible aircraft" at the 13th National Convention of Aerospace Engineers held at the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) complex at Ojhar, a breakthrough had been achieved during experiments involving two scale models of an aircraft. According to Squadron Leader Gewd, Time Domain and Frequency Domain methods were used in addition to the two antenna method to determine radar invisibility and a 94 per cent invisibility was achieved. Efforts are being made to reduce the Radar Cross Section (RCS) signature of the aircraft to reduce detection by an enemy radar. The process is to coat an object with radar absorbing materials, which absorb energy from electromagnetic fields passing through them. Such materials have complex indices of refraction, which include magnetic and electric effects. There are two kinds of such materials-narrow band absorbers and broad bad absorbers. Besides, body shaping, impedance leading and chiroshield play a crucial role in fabricating an invisible aircraft. The DRDO and the IAF used an absorber having electromagnetic properties in KU band, following the two antenna method (spectrum Analyser) the time domain method and the frequency domain method. The drawbacks experienced were the RCS isolation error and the frequency response error. The former was caused by leakage between the antenna while the latter by non ideal frequency response of the cables, connectors, couplers and antennas. The errors were subsequently rectified and zero reflection for all frequencies achieved.

The development of an invisible aircraft is being done on the lines of the B 2 Stealth Bomber of the United States Air Force. Experts believe thatit is possible to make retroreflectors such as ship and submarines invisible to sonars.

Copyright © 1998 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd.

then check this out below

Scientists develop stealth tech - Times Of India

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
India to build its own stealth fighter jet

India to build its own stealth fighter jet - India News - IBNLive

India is getting ready to add another fighter aircraft to its fleet with the DRDO working on an Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft.

In a little over a decade from now the Indian Air Force will be needing replacements for its MiG-29, Mirage and Jaguar fighters. The DRDO through its Bangalore based Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) will unveil the design for that replacement to the air force brass next year, an indigenous design for a stealth aircraft

Director General VK Saraswat DRDO said, "Our requirement is to look for a fighter aircraft which will be required after 2025 and that aircraft should have all capabilities in terms of agility, maneuverability, load carrying capacity, low radar cross-section, super cruise."

The Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft could be in the 20 tonne range and composite materials will comprise much of its structure. Weapons will be carried in internal concealed bays and It will be powered by two "Kaveri" engines.

"It will be powered by our modified 'Kaveri' engine. It will have additional features in terms of better fuel consumption, thrust vectoring, serpentine intakes and also some of the technologies critical for high fuel efficient and high turbine temperatures," said Saraswat.

Originally the Kaveri was to power the Light Combat Aircraft 'Tejas' but is yet to develop the required thrust forcing the authorities to opt for the GE414 engine. Given that experience, the DRDO through the ADA plans to collaborate with a foreign engine manufacturer to speed up the development and testing work.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Kaveri-Snecma Engine To Power AMCA Indian Stealth Fighter ~ INDIAN DEFENSE NEWS

Kaveri-Snecma Engine To Power AMCA Indian Stealth Fighter

ADA has send a Technical requirement detail for the engines which will power India's locally developed 5th Generation fighter aircraft to the GTRE recently .ADA which is the prime development organisation of the Advance Medium Combat Aircraft is looking for an engine in 100 to 110 kn thrust range, and while the work on the preliminary designs are almost done and work on the AMCA Project will officially began from July 2011 onwards for which 2 billion Dollars have already been allocated for the AMCA Project.

GTRE has successfully carried out first batch of on board trials on a modified IL-76 Test Bed in Russia. Even though Kaveri engine project has been delinked from LCA Project few years back , GTRE is still hope full that current Kaveri engines might power Tejas MK-1 aircrafts when their GE Provided F-404IN engines will come up for replacement.

GTRE and French for long time wanted to work on a new Kaveri Hybrid based on M-88-3 Eco, but due to GTRE engine already been delinked on LCA Project , French wanted specific commitment on the engine order , now if the news is correct then the joint venture might finally start off .

ADA is taking very similar approach like it did with LCA Project and will roll out first Technological Demonstrators (AMCA TD-1 and TD-2) in next 5 to 6 years and have first flight in next one year after the roll out. Experts believe that ADA might use GE Provided F-414IN engine which has been already selected by ADA to power Tejas MK-2 jets.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
atleast hope this wont become another LCA...

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Propaganda to deviate national attention from immediate matters. Simple as that. How many times do they need to keep announcing when AMCA is already going on? What do these newspaperwallas take the people to be? Idiots? :doh:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This is bull shit, we have such project just to show the world "We to can do it" and incur losses to the nation and merely try catch up what the West is doing. We need to make profits in the jets we make and not just catch up to the west we must be doing certain projects which in the future will give us a lead in certain areas. Lead in technology is not to see whose penis is bigger but to make money with the new technology.

Articles