AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Scrutator

If this is the final design, then pilot is going to have serious visibility issues
The bubble canopy is old school - where the pilot would require visual confirmation before engaging in close air combat etc. New age fighter pilot doesn't need to turn around to look. There's the concept of sensor fusion - all to onto the pilot's helmet display!!

Flame Thrower

Yes, absolutely they have taken.....

Thanks to HMS, WVR & Pilot visibility has become even more important...

In 1960's Gun was considered old school, but Americans learnt it in the hard way... Hope same doesn't happen for us too.

I'd wait for PV, IAF evaluation and responses.

My only concern is after all tests IAF may say that we need more visibility thus leading canopy changes and entire stealth tests and delay in the program.

Last edited:

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Yes, absolutely they have taken.....

Thanks to HMS, WVR & Pilot visibility has become even more important...

In 1960's Gun was considered old school, but Americans learnt it in the hard way... Hope same doesn't happen for us too.

I'd wait for PV, IAF evaluation and responses.

My only concern is after all tests IAF may say that we need more visibility thus leading canopy changes and entire stealth tests and delay in the program.
Same with the LCA, in an incident or a trail of system failures; rear visibility should be encouraged. I agree with your point sir.

Vijyes

The bubble canopy is old school - where the pilot would require visual confirmation before engaging in close air combat etc. New age fighter pilot doesn't need to turn around to look. There's the concept of sensor fusion - all to onto the pilot's helmet display!!
Even F22 doesn't have helmet display:crying:. Russian PAK-FA first thought of that concept and now F22 will get that upgrade by 2022, before PAK-FA is completed. So, helmet displays aren't yet confirmed. I don't know if that can be done so quickly for AMCA by 2023-4.

Scrutator

Even F22 doesn't have helmet display:crying:. Russian PAK-FA first thought of that concept and now F22 will get that upgrade by 2022, before PAK-FA is completed. So, helmet displays aren't yet confirmed. I don't know if that can be done so quickly for AMCA by 2023-4.
Most Indian aircraft are being upgraded with helmet displays; all future aircraft will have helmet displays as standard!!
In fact, India paid several hundreds of million $$ just to integrate Israeli HMDs onto the Rafaels (custom work) !!

Vijyes

Can anyone tell me if the metal frame of canopy causes stealth to be reduced? Isn't frame free bubble canopy true stealth? F22 and J20 have them. Though I don't think bubble canopy is useful as the pilots are tightly fitted that turning around 180 degrees would be difficult. Planes like F35 don't have it either. But the metal frame is a bad idea IMO

Last edited:

Silent_Monk

OK define 'zero stealth' configuration ?

no stealth or less stealthy...............?????????????????
It's full blown attack mode where aircraft will not hide it's weapons in bay. So it no stealth mode. Though RCS could be less than 4.5 gen fighters with same configuration as air frame is stealthy.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Can anyone tell me if the metal frame of canopy causes stealth to be reduced? Isn't frame free bubble canopy true stealth? F22 and J20 have them
I think the problem here is everybody knows where everybody is thats why our great designers have tried to showcase mind communication by saying 'we dont want to hide too much, but we know the details'. Apart from the obvious kuddos to the team for a fantastic aircraft and a future filled with entralling the world audience with our honesty.

Last edited:

alphacentury

Country flag
Ignore my ignorance, but I think stealth is overrated.
--------
The design now looks good, but wing area looked too little to me in initial design.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles