Al-Khalid MBT And Pakistani Armour

Dazzler

Re: Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

MBT 2000 turret close up

turret rear, notice its slightly longer than what is commonly believed, and has blowoff panels

Dejawolf

so what is that cover thingy at the rear of the turret?
there's no ammunition stored in the bustle, only electronics, radios etc.
Al khalid uses T-72 style autoloader with ammunition carousel under floor.

Dazzler

ministry of defense yearbook quotes....

Dazzler

most of you must have heard of it by now

AARDIC

Dejawolf

old video, from 2001, A LOT has changed in AK since then
you don't change such a central system as the autoloader on a whim, and pictures of the interior of the latest al khalid shows this. pretty much all of the electronics and optics has been pulled out and replaced, but the autoloader remains the same.
and the gun looks like a 2A46 clone, instead of the much improved 2A46M.

Dejawolf

old video, from 2001, A LOT has changed in AK since then

this is a picture from the interior of the most bleeding-edge MBT-2000 upgrade available. on the right side in the picture you can see parts of the autoloader.
and i've made a 3d model of this autoloader, so i know this is the old one. you can see the chain for the lift that pulls up the casette with the round in it, and at the top is the motor that hoists the chain.

Dazzler

you don't change such a central system as the autoloader on a whim, and pictures of the interior of the latest al khalid shows this. pretty much all of the electronics and optics has been pulled out and replaced, but the autoloader remains the same.
and the gun looks like a 2A46 clone, instead of the much improved 2A46M.
i hate to be repeatitive but guess what i have to...

* video you posted is of 2001 i.e. 12 years old

* the carousel dimensions were just that i.e. the original AZ but since 2005, it is made by HIT with slightly wider dimensions for which they developed solid state electronics, its not the original Norinco carousel. I have personally seen the carousel of Type-85III and Al Khalid, both have multiple differences.

* The point is, carousel is still there but vastly modified with tray and electronic systems developed inhouse with all relays removed.

* lastly, the last pic is an MBT 3000 which in itself is an MBT 2000 revamped, the Al Khalid project as it stands today has only external resemblance to it. From electronics to gun to ammo to BMS to tracks to LDS to LWS, all indigenous, optics French, NVD local (gun is based on KBA-3 and NOT original 2a46 design, the one is Alzarrar is a 2a46 M local clone for cure)

Go through this thread please for further details...

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/pakistan/23364-al-khalid-mbt-2000-main-battle-tank-77.html

Last edited:

militarysta

gun is based on KBA-3 and NOT original 2a46 design,
KBA-3 history is very interesting. Polish sources give this gun mixed orgins: frencht barrel technology from middle 1990s. and..2A46M4 plans taken/stole(?) after CCCP fails. More or less KBA-3 is very modern gun and it was better then typical 2A46M4 technogy due to frencht barrel technology and very strong metalurgy industry on Ukriane, new 2A46M5 is diffrent story.
Source:

Dejawolf

i hate to be repeatitive but guess what i have to...

* video you posted is of 2001 i.e. 12 years old

* the carousel dimensions were just that i.e. the original AZ but since 2005, it is made by HIT with slightly wider dimensions for which they developed solid state electronics, its not the original Norinco carousel. I have personally seen the carousel of Type-85III and Al Khalid, both have multiple differences.

* The point is, carousel is still there but vastly modified with tray and electronic systems developed inhouse with all relays removed.

* lastly, the last pic is an MBT 3000 which in itself is an MBT 2000 revamped, the Al Khalid project as it stands today has only external resemblance to it. From electronics to gun to ammo to BMS to tracks to LDS to LWS, all indigenous, optics French, NVD local (gun is based on KBA-3 and NOT original 2a46 design, the one is Alzarrar is a 2a46 M local clone for cure)

Go through this thread please for further details...

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/pakistan/23364-al-khalid-mbt-2000-main-battle-tank-77.html
you were talking about a blowoff panel on the roof, but there's no point in having a blowoff panel on the roof if the ammunition carousel is under the floor.
about KBA-3, thats interesting. a few pics would be nice.

Dazzler

you were talking about a blowoff panel on the roof, but there's no point in having a blowoff panel on the roof if the ammunition carousel is under the floor.
about KBA-3, thats interesting. a few pics would be nice.
i agree with your assessment of blowoff panels, there are none on the roof, i thought the cover thingy at the rear turret with two handles is one? :D

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

@Dejawolf

Al khalid never had or pakistan never imported gun tech from either china or ukraine But from France until we got the capability of local manufacturing

ISLAMABAD, April 17: The first locally-produced tank gun is ready for delivery to the Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) for Al-Khalid and Al-Zarar tanks.

So far the HIT used to get 125 millimetre `blanks` from France for the two main battle tanks (MBTs) of the Pakistan Army. Blanks are the final shape of the gun barrel prior to its finishing and its fitting into the tank is done at the HIT.

The first blank has been jointly produced at the Heavy Mechanical Complex (HMC) in Taxila by experts of the HIT, the Peoples Steel Mills Limited (PSML) of Karachi and other defence-related organisations, in coordination with the army -- the end-user.

An HIT official told Dawn that the army had given a go-ahead for the production of 50 125mm barrels for the two MBTs at the HMC after a joint team assured it of meeting strict standards.
So HIT used to import the blanks from france and rest of work was done in Pakistan.(probably since 2000)
now in the mean time HIT got the capability of manufacturing 125mm smoothbore(probably from either reverse engineering/modifying/or got the capability of manufacturing a similar at home)

Now as per
@militarysta the KBA-series tank gun are made/developed in ukraine with assistance from france.

Locally-produced gun delivered to HIT for tanks - DAWN.COM

Now we dont have pics of the latest Gun..but as per a guy whose father works in HMC.he said the gun manufactured within HMC has a bigger calibre than the older one on basic AK..though no official proof to this

Last edited by a moderator:

Dazzler

we didnt import any guns from anyone, but Ukrainians did assist us in gun manufacturing. Ever wonder why ZPT-98 (original MBT-2000/ AK gun) was 50 ca, but AK locally made gun remained at 48 cal?

Just like the Ukrainian KBA-3 on T-80ud. Both guns are similar in performance and ammunition is interchangeable. Kobmat missile modification was basically for larger warhead and autoloader.

The new gun is being made for AK-1, first batch was completed last quarter 2012 and delivered, old AK guns will also be replaced. its likely to have 50 cal length.

Dazzler

here is old AK gun, note that the gun blank was still imported from France for both AK and AZ tanks

here is KBA-3