Al-Khalid MBT And Pakistani Armour

Andrei_bt

Re: Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

Aorak may not be on par with Duplet YET but it will reach there at some stage
What do you know about "Aorak "? it is a "Contact (4c22)" non licensed copy, if you where inside tank you may think another wise.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

Space tech are 60-years before period in USSR (Ukraine).
And may I, to somebody forget, that "pride" of nation may make somebody blind to facts.

All I can say - without modern defence like "Duplet" Pakistan tanks like T-80UD and AL Khalid a very velnurable. You disagree?
USSR is USSR and Ukraine is ukraine.you seperated.they gave you land not there identity or achievements.Period

Indeed they are.but as i earlier said at the moment we are not at war and All the Basic AK will under AK1 upgrade..

Let us see the new regiment of AL khalid I(If we consider the manufacturing started in late 2009,(the photo i posted is from feb 2010 and might not be the first)
Consider the Production rate of 21x2 in 2011-12.than by now we have almost manufacture odd 80 Al khalid I tanks...We dont know which ERA and what more the Al khalid I has externally)

I agree without ERA tanks under 50 tons are not much Good

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

Dazzler

What do you know about "Aorak "? it is a "Contact (4c22)" non licensed copy, if you where inside tank you may think another wise.
i have been inside, twice, both AK and AZ but Aorak has no connection with 4S22

Dazzler

Iranian ERA details....

Iranian explosive reactive armour systems
Date Posted: 22-May-2003

Development / Description

In late 1996, it was revealed that Iran had developed an Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) system which could be fitted to new and existing armoured fighting vehicles to improve their battlefield survivability against attack by Chemical Energy (CE) and Kinetic Energy (KE) attack over the frontal arc.
The Iranian ERA package is very similar to that currently manufactured for the home and export market by the Russian Federation and Associated States and this also provides protection from both CE and KE attack. For some years, Iran has been building the Russian T-72 MBT under licence and this is also fitted with ERA. First-generation RFAS ERA only provided protection against CE attack.
This Iranian ERA system, which it is understood has not entered volume production so far, is manufactured by the Shahid Kolahdoz Industrial Complex, which is part of the Defence Industries Organisation (DIO). During trials it stopped the main armour of an undisclosed MBT being penetrated by an Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) fitted with a tandem High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) warhead.
The Iranian armour comprises one composite layer that provides protection against KE and CE charges and an additional energetic material layer (explosive) that has the ability to protect against CE projectiles.
The complete ERA package consists of a number of small blocks which are attached to the MBT, typically on the glacis plate, nose, frontal part of the turret and skirting.
The T-72 ERA turret package weighs a total of 416 kg while the hull front (glacis plate and nose) package weighs 281 kg and the hull side (skirts) package weighs 494 kg. This gives a total weight of 1,191 kg.
When allowing for spaces for the sighting systems, main and secondary armament, between 60 and 65 per cent of the turret front is protected by the ERA while for the hull front it is between 70 and 80 per cent and for the hull sides 60 to 62 per cent.
According to the Iranian manufacturer, this ERA package is applicable to any type of MBT, for example Russian designed T-54, T-55, T-62, T-72 and T-90 as well as Western-designed MBTs such as the M60, with some modifications of the attachment assembly.
Main advantages have been summarised as low weight, low cost, high level of protection, easy to install and maintain, waterproof and cannot be activated by gas arc welding and cutting.
The ERA packages will not detonate if dropped from a height of 5 m, give complete safety from small arms fire up to 30 mm in calibre, cannot be activated by grenades, are resistant to attack by napalm incendiary mixtures and provide safety from attack by 125 mm High-Explosive (HE) projectile fragments at ranges of less than 10 m.
Iran is now manufacturing the Russian T-72S export MBT under licence and this is also fitted with explosive reactive armour. It is possible that the Iranian explosive reactive armour system described here is linked to the Russian explosive reactive armour system.

Status

Understood to be in quantity production for installation of the locally manufactured Russian T-72M1 series MBT.

Manufacturers

Shahid Kolahdoz Industrial Complex.

Dazzler

@Andrei_bt

Algerian AGs, when was deal occurred?

still AZ...

nice and clean chamber ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

methos

Country flag

Will performance be radically affected?
The typical Soviet ring-type sabot weighs about 2.02 kg, while the sabot used on Polish 125 mm APFSDS rounds weighs 3.85 kg. This can lead to a significantly higher muzzle velocity.
However using a ring-type sabot requires greater fins, in order to prevent tumbling of the round inside the barrel... i.e. the fins have the same size as the barrel, so that they touch the inner walls. This has negative effects on the barrel life, the accuracy (the larger fins are more affected by wind, etc.) and on long ranges also on the velocity (the larger fins lead to a higher deceleration).

Also what sabot do they use and which is better?
I don't know. I only have seen the "conventional" spool-type sabot on photographs and in brochures. It could be that the new (?) round with ring-type sabot is only a research prototype in order to see how the round behaves at higher velocities. They also could use both rounds at the same time, saying that the one with ring-type sabot should only be used at short ranges, while the other one is used at longer ranges.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

France manufactured ERA called "BRENUS" (or "Brennus" sometimes) for AMX-30B2 tanks.

This is simple 1st generation ERA.
Ok i got this

*MOU signed with France for Co production of ERA,

KARACHI, Nov 21: The Pakistan Ordnance Factories Wah and the Geat Industries of France on Tuesday signed an MoU for co-production of 155mm state-of-the-art artillery ammunition, extended range and reactive armour bricks for tanks at the ongoing Ideas-2006 exhibition of military hardware.

President General Pervez Musharraf, Minister for Defence Production Habibullah Waraich and the Chief of Naval Staff were present when Lieutenant-General Syed Sabahat Hussain, Chairman, POF Wah Board, and Mr Pascal, representing the Geat Industries of France, initialled the MoU.

Co-production of the product would start at POF Wah in January 2007 and would be geared up for exports by next year. Both companies have also agreed for joint marketing of the product and export.

Meanwhile, Pakistan's prestigious National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM) also signed a $ 50 million defence sale MoUs with some Muslim and African states at the international defence exhibition and seminar at the Expo Centre in Karachi on Tuesday, said Pakistan's renowned scientist Dr Samar Mubarakmand while talking to newsmen at the Ideas-2006.

He said NESCOM exported conventional defence products worth US dollars 500 million during the last three years to friendly countries. He claimed that the NESCOM had achieved a minimum level of strategic defence for the country — a total indigenous effort with no transfer of foreign technology

It may be mentioned that Pakistan had exported air combat manoeuvring instrumentation system to Bangladesh and some other products to the UAE.

We indigenously produced weapon system of Shaheen-1 and Ghaznavi-1 missiles, co-produced Ghauri missile weapon system and twice test-fired Babar 600km-plus cruise missile.

He said that the NESCOM provided ground weapon system for Al-Khalid, a top main battle tank in the world and was now doing the same for Al-Zarrar MBT.

The Commission also provided radar-integrated system and batteries to the armed forces.

Meanwhile, the Institute of Industrial Control Systems (IICS) produces some of most valuable weaponry and defence equipment for the country's armed forces and emerged as a formidable exporter of such products.

IICS's indigenous Anza MK-II, a man portable shoulder-fired surface-to-air guided missile weapon system will soon have advanced version in Anza MK-III, and work on it is under way, said Karim Ahmed, renowned scientist and chief executive of the IICS.

Talking to newsmen, he said work was in progress on increasing range of Baktar Shikan anti-tank-guided missile system with a laser aiming device, with a capability of day and night firing and high-hit probability.

Answering a question, Karim Ahmed said: We have exported our defence products valued at $4 million during the year.

It may be pointed out that this export was in addition to the one that was made by the government. Pakistan had exported Baktarshikan to Bangladesh.

The IICS has also set up a state-of-the-art Printed Circuit Boards manufacturing plant being operated commercially. Other defence products include laser range finder which can simultaneously range multiple static and moving targets from 150m to 20m and automatic fire control system 37 MM anti-aircraft guns.

The Last Stand

Country flag

type-85/ 96 turret geometry...

As Damian says, Fanboyism.

A quick and dirty estimation gave me 618.8 mm as the worst result (on this image, with other images on comparison) when using a top view image with no perspective distortion. The image is extremely accurate, and was made by militarysta.

An estimation using a Chinese 2D drawing which had an abnormally gun diameter (not the barrel) and mantlet, I got around 890.4 mm.

My best guess would be ~700 mm of armour, maximum on the front turret

@Damian @militarysta @methos @STGN @Dejawolf @Kunal Biswas @pmaitra @W.G.Ewald @sayareakd @ersakthivel

I will follow up tomorrow.

Dazzler, this image you supplied could be in wrong proportions. Have no time now.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Last Stand

Country flag

Also, it must be mentioned that the armour values I mean are just the space for armour. We do not know composition or placement or resistance to impact.

Damian

Most likely it can be some sort of propaganda poster?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

Got this from facebook

fanboy stuff or could be true?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned

Got this from facebook

fanboy stuff or could be true?