Al-Khalid MBT And Pakistani Armour

militarysta

this is the new round, AK autoloader was modified to fit these, i have been saying this for ages since i have seen it. Also, the brochure is NOT photoshoped because it is the one presented to Peruvians when MBT 2000 was tested there.
I will mesure this. there is simple way to check it. whole projectile lenght and hull width without track sjoud consist if not then its fake.

Dazzler

I will mesure this. there is simple way to check it. whole projectile lenght and hull width without track sjoud consist if not then its fake.
It would be good, regarding the brochure long rod, it is in service with AK, saw it during IDEAS 2008 too.

Dazzler

penetration given by janes in 600mm @ 2km?

125 mm NORINCO APFSDS-T ammunition (China), Tank and anti-tank guns

Development
This 125 mm Armour-Piercing Fin-Stabilised Discarding-Sabot - Tracer (APFSDS-T) ammunition was developed by NORINCO as a commercial venture to equip existing 125 mm tank gun users and to provide projectiles for use in the Chinese 125 mm tank gun, details of which have yet to be announced, installed on the Type 98 and Type 99 MBTs. The NORINCO rounds, the 125-I and 125-II, use a propellant system based on the Russian Federation original, but the projectile assemblies are completely different, based on Western tungsten-rod technology allied to an up-to-date sabot assembly. This round was first shown during 1993. The most recent and current model being offered is designated the Type II-M.Attempts to produce a close copy of the 125-I round have been made in Pakistan. According to reports, these attempts led to technical difficulties regarding the tungsten alloy used for the NORINCO penetrator, the results of which were in-bore break-ups of the penetrator rod when fired. A change was considered to the same tungsten alloy already used by Alsons to manufacture and machine 105 mm L64 APFSDS-T penetrators for manufacturing the 125 mm round, but the problem has been reported as rectified.India's Ordnance Factory Board has developed an almost identical 120 mm APFSDS-T round to that produced by China and Pakistan. This round may have been inspired by examination of rounds captured from Pakistan during action and is known as the T-2A. It has been in service with the Indian Army since 1997.

Description
NORINCO 125 mm APFSDS-T rounds are separately loading munitions. They are loaded into the breech and are surrounded, behind the sabot assembly, by an integral combustible propellant charge in a combustible case and are followed by a semi-combustible propellant case.On both the 125-I and the 125-II, the projectile assembly is made up of a light-alloy three-segment sabot and a monobloc tungsten-alloy penetrator rod forming the sub-projectile. The penetrator rod and the sabot are interfaced by a series of mating buttresses, and a plastic slipping obturator ring encircles the sabot. The 125-I penetrator rod has a diameter of 28 mm, is 554 mm long, has a length-to-diameter (L/D) ratio of approximately 19.8:1 and weighs 4.03 kg. The penetrator rod has a light-alloy windshield over the nose and a light-alloy six-finned fin assembly at the rear. It is assumed that the fin assembly contains a tracer element. The 125-II projectile assembly weighs 7.44 kg, and the penetrator rod is 26 mm in diameter, presumably yielding a greater L/D ratio.The two-component propellant system is carried over from the design of the Russian Federation 125 mm APFSDS-T. Both components are encased in what is described as a flammable nitrocellulose-based paper tube impregnated with TNT, which is totally consumed on firing. A steel stub case, weighing 3.4 kg and containing the electrical primer, remains to be ejected after firing. The case is 140 mm long and has a flange diameter of 171.9 mm.The muzzle velocity of the 125-I is 1,730 m/s. The armour

125 mm NORINCO APFSDS-T ammunition (China) - Jane's Ammunition Handbook

Last edited:

militarysta

Dazzler - You have right, there is indeed posibility to fit longer AZ series autoloader in Type-99 and Al Chalid hull if:
a) hull sides have max 40mm thickness on autoloader hight
b) they are longer casettes put in to autoloader.
Rest is fully possible:

Dazzler

AK estimated armour, can anyone explain this? @ militarysta, @ Damian

Dazzler

I am told that AK autoloader had 29 modifications to make it long rod compatible. Here is a prototype with indigenous 125mm gun...current autoloader is all solid state made by CARE pvt Pakistan

"The solid state Autoloader developed by CARE has eliminated the need for relay and utilizes the latest solid-state electronic devices to provide the control functionalities hence leading to most reliable system.

Completely solid-state design with NO RELAYS
Design based on programmable logic, processor and FPGAs
100% compatible with Tank's existing mechanical design / mounting as well as the wiring harness and connectors
Bi-directional carousal motion leading to substantial reduction in the maximum loading time for the farthest ammo
Simultaneous display of the number of each ammo type (i.e. HE/HA/AP) present in carousel magazine along with the number of empty trays"

militarysta

Ukraine to deliver 110 more tank engines to Pakistan
Im thinking about 6TD-2 ukrianian engine. Those 1200HP engine fit in 48t. AK whit frencht SESM ESM500 give time 0-32km/h equal to 10s. In the same time 1500HP MTU MB873 whit renk fit in 55t. Leopard-2A4 give time 0-32km/h equal to 6s. Even 62t. Leopard-2A6 have better 0-32km/h time then lighter AK whit 6TD-2. Strange - propably it's true that 6TD engines series have whorse Nm value couse to engine build.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Im thinking about 6TD-2 ukrianian engine. Those 1200HP engine fit in 48t. AK whit frencht SESM ESM500 give time 0-32km/h equal to 10s. In the same time 1500HP MTU MB873 whit renk fit in 55t. Leopard-2A4 give time 0-32km/h equal to 6s. Even 62t. Leopard-2A6 have better 0-32km/h time then lighter AK whit 6TD-2. Strange - propably it's true that 6TD engines series have whorse Nm value couse to engine build.

i doubt Because the 2nd tender of 6td2 1200hp was placed in 2008.initial tender in 2000 was of 300 engines.the 2nd one might be similar

and we dont have more than 400 Ak in service

this smaller order of 110 engines might either be of 6td3(1400hp) or 6td4(1500hp) for al khalid 2 which still is in prototype stages and is suppose to weight around 55tonnes aka a medium weight tank

or 2nd possibility is of al khalid 1 which weighs 51tonnes and in ideas 2012 Janes reported that even Ak1 will have a more powerfull engine and the only option available is 6td3

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles