ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Punya Pratap

Country flag
All right guys I would like you all to list out YOUR take on Mk 2. I am sure we all have a wish list ;)

Jagdish58

Tejas Mk2 team targets 2017 for first flight | idrw.org

With Separate Project team from ADA and HAL already in place for Tejas MK-2 , MK-2 Team are targeting to carry out first flight in early 2017 as per sources close to idrw.org . under MK-2 Project HAL will roll out two Prototypes by 2016 which will be be powered by the more powerful GE-F414-INS6 engines .
In 2013 Initial contract for 8 GE-F414-INS6 engines was awarded to Ge and GE will start delivering engines by end of 2015 and will also help in Integration of the engines with the MK-2 airframe in India for which a dedicated team will arrive from US , Currently GE team in US has carried out design reviews for integration of the engines in the MK-2 .

MK-2 Project team also been tasked to make it more Maintenance friendly and increase operational availability of the aircrafts once it enters service with IAF. MK-2 not only will get new engines but also will get Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar , onboard oxygen-generating system; an advanced Electronic Warfare (EW) suite,Pilot friendlier cockpit display, retractable mid-air refuelling system . older PV-1 aircraft currently has been used has a Test Bed for Electronic Warfare system.

MK-2 Project team learning from the past mistakes , will source all required systems and components to be integrated in MK-2 before actual work on first Prototypes begins so that delays can be avoided for want of one particular part from one lab. Team plans to field both test aircrafts around same time so that certification of various components are not delayed due to lack of aircrafts and also enter Production once they are certified .

Clearly it will be a uphill task for ADA and HAL team to put together an aircraft which Internally will require lot of changes and upgradation to its current systems, but also need to certify and enter production in shortest period of time to keep the technology developed for the aircraft relevant in 2025 when IAF will induct MK-2 in large numbers .

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Double Post!!

Tejas Mk2 team targets 2017 for first flight | idrw.org

With Separate Project team from ADA and HAL already in place for Tejas MK-2 , MK-2 Team are targeting to carry out first flight in early 2017 as per sources close to idrw.org . under MK-2 Project HAL will roll out two Prototypes by 2016 which will be be powered by the more powerful GE-F414-INS6 engines .
In 2013 Initial contract for 8 GE-F414-INS6 engines was awarded to Ge and GE will start delivering engines by end of 2015 and will also help in Integration of the engines with the MK-2 airframe in India for which a dedicated team will arrive from US , Currently GE team in US has carried out design reviews for integration of the engines in the MK-2 .

MK-2 Project team also been tasked to make it more Maintenance friendly and increase operational availability of the aircrafts once it enters service with IAF. MK-2 not only will get new engines but also will get Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar , onboard oxygen-generating system; an advanced Electronic Warfare (EW) suite,Pilot friendlier cockpit display, retractable mid-air refuelling system . older PV-1 aircraft currently has been used has a Test Bed for Electronic Warfare system.

MK-2 Project team learning from the past mistakes , will source all required systems and components to be integrated in MK-2 before actual work on first Prototypes begins so that delays can be avoided for want of one particular part from one lab. Team plans to field both test aircrafts around same time so that certification of various components are not delayed due to lack of aircrafts and also enter Production once they are certified .

Clearly it will be a uphill task for ADA and HAL team to put together an aircraft which Internally will require lot of changes and upgradation to its current systems, but also need to certify and enter production in shortest period of time to keep the technology developed for the aircraft relevant in 2025 when IAF will induct MK-2 in large numbers .

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
If it is delayed it's chances for high numbers are not bright, because by the FGFA would have arrived or something like that to the effect.
While the writer says about all the new challenges of fitting the engines and many subsystems, what he does not say is with the tech back ground of tejas mk1 it will be far less daunting task.

Writers give whatever color they want to give a news item according to their preferences.For example most of the ticklish issues like ground bombing, Air to air missile firing would have been finished by mk1 itself .
Thanks ..... I think i didnt present my query well....

I meant by 2017 First flight them after 8 years the writer is talking about mass production whereas My estimation was 2022 ... keeping all your points in mind only.... dont you think 2025 is too late.... Though with the history like ADA HAL DRDO anything is possible.....

Pulkit

Country flag
Welcome to the Dhruv Tejas Brigade... lol....
Get ready to be called with many other names like Fan boy and all.... but keep going...

I think the number of Rafael will impact the FGFA numbers more than anything..... Tejas being a relative cheaper fighter and a replacement for Legacy Mig's will also suffer. That is why I oppose a 22 Billion $ lock up of funds for a 4.5 generation fighter that shall restrict IAF from acquiring a 5th Gen cutting edge fighter :(

Pulkit

Country flag
I think it was the wish list not the standard requirement...... FOC cannot be a wish...............
I will take Tejas I & II in any colour provided it completes FOC and enters service on schedule

Pulkit

Country flag
Correction.... Wishes are things which is not there and we need it,,,, or want it....
whereas FOC is a reality and its is a mandatory thing to be done...

Still its just how you define Wish....

I wish it has new Radar from beginning..... Wish the orders are more.... Wish Quality of production is good.....

Correction...as of now FOC and rest are all **WISHES**

Dhairya Yadav

when will mkII be inducted in air force ? Obviously it would be delayed, but by how much?

Pulkit

Country flag
The way the present govt is giving priority to defense and keepin check on it... the timeline set up 2018-2020 is achievable.....

when will mkII be inducted in air force ? Obviously it would be delayed, but by how much?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Raha, also Chairman of Chief of Staff Committee, said, Army is there, BSF (Border Security Fore) is there, the Air force is not directly involved, but things are not that bad. To a question, Raha said, "There is a lot of thrust being given on indigenous production of military hardware and I think this (Narendra Modi) government is also serious about pushing it further to take it to higher level."

Asked about delay in projects relating to indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft and Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT), Raha said, "...they are delayed slightly, but this happens in any indigenous production. First time we are doing it, there are many countries who have been at it for many many years..."

Declining to comment on whether any kind of replacement for IJT was being considered, he said "...We will get the IJT on time."

The IAF chief was here to inaugurate the 54th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Aerospace Medicine (ISAM). Addressing the conference, he emphasised the role of Aerospace Power in recent conflicts and brought out that it was the weapon of choice due to its reach, precision and speed of operations.
Pak ceasefire violations no cause for worry, we are prepared: IAF chief - IBNLive

Well , unlike a few self declared panting IAF fanboys here the present IAF chief is realistic

So unlike another set of IAF gents tearing into tejas for the delay in the vayu stratpost conference repeatedly caling it below Mig-21 bisons and asking for stopping the program,

rohit b3

Country flag
They are simply trying to kill the programme. I would like to meet the people who brought in the logic that Tejas mk1 should be an "Advanced trainer"

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
They are simply trying to kill the programme. I would like to meet the people who brought in the logic that Tejas mk1 should be an "Advanced trainer"
They never sat in tejas cockpit, but the guys who actually flew tejas and worked on it for years has this to say,

"here is what P Rajkumar (IAF) who was involved with the LCA says -
quote -

Philip Rajkumar on May 1, 2012 at 6:01 am said:

philip rajkumar

I worked in the LCA project for nine years from 17 Sep 1994 to 31 Aug 2003 (actually 17 days short of nine years!). I was deputed to ADA by the IAF to oversee the flight test programme of the Technology Demonstration phase of the project. Having been on both sides of the fence i have a few points to make.
1. Development of a capable aeronautical industry is a small step by small step evolutionary process.Infrastructure and skill sets of the work force have to be built up over decades with considerable effort. All this requires investment of money and managerial resources. Mainly due to financial constraints and lack of vision in the IAF, HAL and the GOI we allowed capabilities built up during the Marut and Kiran programmes to atrophy. While the world leapt ahead with several technological innovations like fly by wire,digital avionics and use of composites for structures HAL did not run a single research programme because it was not the practice to do research unless it was linked to a specicific project.
2.The LCA project is where it is today thanks to one man-Dr VS Arunachalam who as the SA to RM in 1985 had the gumption and clout to go to the GOI and convince them that India could build a fourth generation fighter. It was a leap of faith no doubt.
3. HAL feels wronged about being asked to play second fiddle to ADA. This pique continues to hurt the project even today.
4. Without help from Dassault of France,BAE Systems UK, Lockheed Martin of the USA and Alenia of Italy we would not have succeeded in developing the fly by wire flight control system,glass cockpit,and composite structures for the two TD aircraft.
5. So far the flight safety record of the programme has been good. I pray every day that it remains that way. The loss of an aircraft early in the programme would have surely lead to its closure.
6.All pilots who have flown the aircraft say its handling qualities are very good. It means it is easy to fly and perform the mission.

7.It needs to be put into IAF sevice as soon as possible to gain more experience to iron out bugs which are sure to show up during operational use.

8.Programme management could have been better. IAF is to blame for washing its hands off the project for 20 years from 1986-2006. A management team was put in place at ADA in 2007.

9.Dr Kota Harinarayana and all those who have worked and continue to work have done so with great sincerity and dedication.
10.Indian aeronautics has benefitted immensely from the programme. It is a topic for separate research.

11. It was a rare privilege for me to have been given an opportunity to contribute to the programme by setting up the National Flight Test Centre and putting place a methodology of work which has ensured safety so far.

12. According to me the project can be called a complete success only when the aircraft sees squadron service for a couple of decades. We will have to wait but it is progressing on the right lines and we as a nation have nothing to be ashamed of."

Dhairya Yadav

tejas below MiG21? Stupidity knows no bounds. Btw, what is this Vayu Stratpost ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles