ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Just few pages back you said late-2022/early-2023 is firm schedule and we should have faith in our scientists.
Now you say that schedule is ambitious. You got any further info? or care to clarify those scientists deserve our faith or else.
I...-Have-nothing-to-say.jpg

Shuturmurg

Country flag
14 Sukhoi

5 Mig+ Mirage

2 Rafale

2 Tejas

That's 23

Add 1 Mig 29

Possibly one Mirage Sqd from second hand purchase

4-5 Tejas Sqd by 2030

And atleast 2 Rafale

That's 32 squadrons by 2030.
Aren't all migs supposed to be retired by 2025. Also, I expect spare parts availability for Russian parts to go down if they are so heavily sanctioned, causing decline in availability rates for su-30

RocketMan

Country flag
Aren't all migs supposed to be retired by 2025. Also, I expect spare parts availability for Russian parts to go down if they are so heavily sanctioned, causing decline in availability rates for su-30
Majority of our air fleet is of Russian origin . If sanctions truly bite hard , we are fvcked .
Boggles my mind why didnt our Airforce foreseen this earlier . Least they could have done was to expediate indigenous platforms :shoot:

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
OMG that article! :confused1:

Extracts:

R. Madhavan- So we are trying to do it as quickly as possible, but then that is a total leap as far as the technologies are concerned. So we have new technologies, internal-efficient storages, then a few sensors, stealth features. So there are so many new technologies. It takes some time, because it’s the first time we are trying to develop many of them. So it will take some time. It’s not like it is an upgrade from Mark1.

Manish K. Jha- So it’s like entirely a shift to 6th generation aircraft?

R. Madhavan- And also from a single engine to a dual engine version. So all these things are involved and then it has a new, like 360 degrees situational awareness. There are so many things – new sensors – so it is a new development and that takes time.

Manish K. Jha- So the ‘stealth’ is a key feature of MK2?

R. Madhavan- Stealth is there. Super cruise is one of them--The super cruise speed.

So are they talking about Tejas Mk2 or AMCA? Dual engine Mk2?

I tried to make some sense of it, but I had to resort to paracetamol. When that didn't work, alcohol.
Taking about amca mk2

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
OMG that article! :confused1:

Extracts:

R. Madhavan- So we are trying to do it as quickly as possible, but then that is a total leap as far as the technologies are concerned. So we have new technologies, internal-efficient storages, then a few sensors, stealth features. So there are so many new technologies. It takes some time, because it’s the first time we are trying to develop many of them. So it will take some time. It’s not like it is an upgrade from Mark1.

Manish K. Jha- So it’s like entirely a shift to 6th generation aircraft?

R. Madhavan- And also from a single engine to a dual engine version. So all these things are involved and then it has a new, like 360 degrees situational awareness. There are so many things – new sensors – so it is a new development and that takes time.

Manish K. Jha- So the ‘stealth’ is a key feature of MK2?

R. Madhavan- Stealth is there. Super cruise is one of them--The super cruise speed.

So are they talking about Tejas Mk2 or AMCA? Dual engine Mk2?

I tried to make some sense of it, but I had to resort to paracetamol. When that didn't work, alcohol.
He is talking about AMCA. Tejas Mk2 doesn't match the words put forward by R.Madhavan sir.

Also When he said that "And also from a single engine to a dual engine version."

What I think so he meant was that AMCA would be the 1st Indian twin engine Fighter program. All our programs like Tejas were single Engine. AMCA is our 1st Program to develop a twin Engine Aircraft.

So I am pretty sure that he is talking about AMCA. But still I am confused as well.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Only Mig21s . They will be sent in reserves.

Mig 29 s are different.

Mig 29 spare parts can come from different routes you needn't worry we have enough support for that.

For Su 30 too we can build most spare parts ourselves if needed so and will procure from Russia anyway. No need to worry on that part either.

rohit b3

Country flag
14 Sukhoi

5 Mig+ Mirage

2 Rafale

2 Tejas

That's 23

Add 1 Mig 29

4-5 Tejas Sqd by 2030

And atleast 2 Rafale

6 Mig29+Mirage2000 , not 5.
6 Jaguars
So total is maintained at 30 by 2025.

2025-2030 :
4 Tejas mk1A
2 Rafales(hopefully)

Thus 36 by 2030.

There wont be any additional Mig29 or Mirage2000 squadron.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
6 Mig29+Mirage2000 , not 5.
6 Jaguars
So total is maintained at 30 by 2025.

2025-2030 :
4 Tejas mk1A
2 Rafales(hopefully)

Thus 36 by 2030.

There wont be any additional Mig29 or Mirage2000 squadron.
Jags will be reduced to 3 by then and almost of not much use without engine upgrade and up for retirement.

Mig 29 have three squadrons and Mirage 2

The additional Mig 29 we are in discussion for long can make it 4

Rest you can do the math little bit here and there I gave the concrete numbers.

rohit b3

Country flag
Jags will be reduced to 3 by then and almost of not much use without engine upgrade and up for retirement.

Mig 29 have three squadrons and Mirage 2

The additional Mig 29 we are in discussion for long can make it 4

Rest you can do the math little bit here and there I gave the concrete numbers.
Jags wont be retired till Tejas mk2 is ready. I can sign on a paper with that claim. I mean we are still using 1950s Mig-21 now in 2022.

And im pretty sure i read we have 3 Mig29 and 3 Mirage2000 squadrons currently. Mirage2000 squadrons are smaller with around 16 fighters each and Mig29 are around 22 fighters each.

Again, there wont be any Mig29. I can sign on that too. :p

johnj

14 Sukhoi

5 Mig+ Mirage

2 Rafale

2 Tejas

That's 23

Add 1 Mig 29

4-5 Tejas Sqd by 2030

And atleast 2 Rafale

Thanks,
14 su30 mki, 2 rafale, 2 lca, 5 mig/mirage, 4 jag plus 4 mk1aesa and 1 rafale and plus two sqn. mig and mirage not happening and more su30 depends on spare overall around 34 sqn. 2023 give a good picture of iaf sqn strength in 2030.

Last edited:

johnj

So
Jags wont be retired till Tejas mk2 is ready. I can sign on a paper with that claim. I mean we are still using 1950s Mig-21 now in 2022.

And im pretty sure i read we have 3 Mig29 and 3 Mirage2000 squadrons currently. Mirage2000 squadrons are smaller with around 16 fighters each and Mig29 are around 22 fighters each.

Some jags will retire by 2030. IAF keep upgraded ones.

Flying Dagger

Country flag

Don't signin too much... Specially when you don't know...

1. There are two Mirage Squadrons not 16 fighter each as you presume.

Both based in Gwalior

No. 1 and No. 7 squadrons of IAF operate them.

12 are trainers 2 recently bought as second hand from France Total 50.

There are additional 8-11 jets that can be converted if we pay for upgrade kit. ( Which is something we may or not do and probably many of us won't know )

2. We have three Mig 29 squadrons Yes as I have said before.

59 UPG

And the talk for 21 to make it 80

4 Squadrons.

Now coming to Jags and it's comparison with Mig 21 .

Well Mig 21 had spare supply and we could make some ourselves as it was pretty easy nut and bolt game and our vast reserve of retired migs to use for Spares.

And we arent using migs built in 60s but those which were new and inducted in 80s and are being retired now.

Jags on the other hand we had to buy second hand Jags for spare supply the other 40-60 IAF Jags will also be used for the same purpose to make sure remaining fly.

Pretty much down to 3 squadrons. And those won't be of much use either with no engine in sight.

Sign on it jump on it be happy... Now.

SimplyIndian

Country flag
14 Sukhoi

5 Mig+ Mirage

2 Rafale

2 Tejas

That's 23

Add 1 Mig 29

4-5 Tejas Sqd by 2030

And atleast 2 Rafale

We should assume 2 dedicated assembly line coming at war footing for mk2 and amca. That may be additional 4 to 5. ( that's my wish)

flanker99

Country flag
additional mig and sukhoi's should be ruled out at least wont be possible in next 2-3 years

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles