ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Vamsi

Country flag
Have a source for the internal jammer ?
Here he mentions Maws and external jammer but nothing about an internal jammer.
watch the Tarmac interview by Ananth Krishnan with the Mk-2 Project Director. In that interview he clearly mentioned about the internal Jammer.

I also asked Alpha Defence & Sriram of Delhi Defence review, both of them confirmed me that the jammer will be internal.

Last edited:

THESIS THORON

Country flag
Have a source for the internal jammer ?
Here he mentions Maws and external jammer but nothing about an internal jammer.
regarding dcmaws-

does he says 4 or full ??

4 sensors or full sensors ??

then he says that it gives spherical coverage (if maws is giving spherical coverage then there will be 6 sensors not 4)

18:50

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
IDK, about any conformal antenna.
Don't think it's possible within the timeframe unless it's already under development. Most probably no!
Only for amca it's confirmed.

In one video i saw, ADA director saying 4axis maws for mk2:crazy:, however as per BEL (and logic), a 6 axis maws is required for complete coverage.

I hope what he said was wrong.
WTF is a 6-axis MAWS? Are you going to mechanically steer the sensor with 6 degree of freedom? :doh:

DeadCritic

Country flag
sorry if I am wrong.. but isn't 6 axis maws is about robotics?
How by program you can move robot,, either in 4 axis or 6 axis

4 is easy , cheap and more accurate.
6 is more sophisticated ,future proof but expensive

THESIS THORON

Country flag
sorry if I am wrong.. but isn't 6 axis maws is about robotics?
How by program you can move robot,, either in 4 axis or 6 axis

4 is easy , cheap and more accurate.
6 is more sophisticated ,future proof but expensive

it is not a robot, it is a sensor.

you need 6 such sensors for having 360 degree missile detection.

1- upwardfacing
2- downwardfacing
3- left
4- right
5- back
7- front

these 6 create sphere of detection around aircraft.

MonaLazy

tejas is has problems in transonic area. and that is due to bulged canopy, and that bulged canopy is due to ..
ig small shape
A bulged canopy is part of the solution, not the problem! In fact, it is the same trick as on the Boeing 747-800, which is to introduce a hump ahead of the wings. Read on!

The initial road to the Mk2
However, to meet the IAF’s stringent air staff qualitative requirements (ASQR) for the LCA project, ADA knew that substantial changes to the basic Mk1/Mk1A airframe were required and that is where the genesis of the Tejas Mk2 development program lies. There were two primary concerns: the IAF wanted a fighter that had faster transonic acceleration and a higher STR of about 18 degrees per second. As late as Aero India 2017, ADA displayed scale models that aimed to achieve this by extending the Mk1 with a 0.5 m fuselage plug and fitting a more powerful F414 engine with a maximum rated thrust of 98kN. The plug was to be inserted just behind the canopy where the area curve had the highest discontinuity (see Area curve in Figure 2). In addition to the plug, ADA studied a bulged canopy to improve area ruling even further. The combined effect was 6 percent lower supersonic drag, which in turn led to a 20 percent improvement in transonic acceleration and 2 percent improvement in maximum speed [4]. The fuselage plug and bulged spine would also provide space for more internal fuel and LRUs.

1645115188165.png

Figure 1

1645115199392.png

Figure 2

Compare above to this, the Ideal distribution-
1645115288572.png

Having said that Mk2 does not need the bulged canopy at all, thanks to canards-
The canards also help smooth out the discontinuity in the area ruling curve ahead of the wing that exists for Mk1 (see this). By employing a canard and a fatter spine, MWF no longer needs as bulged a canopy as recommended by earlier studies. While those studies predicted a 6 percent supersonic wave drag resulting in a 20 percent improvement in transonic acceleration and 2 percent improvement in maximum speed, MWF is expected to exhibit even greater transonic and supersonic performance improvements given a near perfect area ruling through the changes such as the addition of a nose plug, elongated and fattened front fuselage, optimized canopy shape and rear fuselage. The canards lower the trim drag across the flight envelope, further enhancing overall aircraft performance. As a matter of fact, MWF is expected to have a top speed of Mach 1.8 in level flight with two close-combat missiles (CCMs), which is a 12.5 percent increase over its existing performance.

https://delhidefencereview.com/2019...ows-a-pair-becomes-the-medium-weight-fighter/

the x-sonic acceleration inefficiency in Mk1/A is solely due to area ruling deficiencies- which could be solved by making the plane longer or bulged ahead of wing-like the Boeing 747-800, which has its signature upper deck "hump" placed in such a way as to make the change in cross-section along the plane's fuselage as smooth as possible.

1645114459540.png

..increased length, retractable IFR probe, more thrust from F414 and canards are to address that.

right word?
Dr Madhusudhana Rao is calling them sensors only (antennae less frequently). 4 sensor DCMAWS on fin forward, spine & belly for spherical coverage.

Same sensor terminology from an old DRDO book
1645116484683.png

Last edited:

THESIS THORON

Country flag
A bulged canopy is part of the solution, not the problem! In fact, it is the same trick as on the Boeing 747-800, which is to introduce a hump ahead of the wings. Read on!

The initial road to the Mk2
However, to meet the IAF’s stringent air staff qualitative requirements (ASQR) for the LCA project, ADA knew that substantial changes to the basic Mk1/Mk1A airframe were required and that is where the genesis of the Tejas Mk2 development program lies. There were two primary concerns: the IAF wanted a fighter that had faster transonic acceleration and a higher STR of about 18 degrees per second. As late as Aero India 2017, ADA displayed scale models that aimed to achieve this by extending the Mk1 with a 0.5 m fuselage plug and fitting a more powerful F414 engine with a maximum rated thrust of 98kN. The plug was to be inserted just behind the canopy where the area curve had the highest discontinuity (see Area curve in Figure 2). In addition to the plug, ADA studied a bulged canopy to improve area ruling even further. The combined effect was 6 percent lower supersonic drag, which in turn led to a 20 percent improvement in transonic acceleration and 2 percent improvement in maximum speed [4]. The fuselage plug and bulged spine would also provide space for more internal fuel and LRUs.

View attachment 138291
Figure 1

View attachment 138292
Figure 2

Compare above to this, the Ideal distribution-
View attachment 138293

Having said that Mk2 does not need the bulged canopy at all, thanks to canards-
The canards also help smooth out the discontinuity in the area ruling curve ahead of the wing that exists for Mk1 (see this). By employing a canard and a fatter spine, MWF no longer needs as bulged a canopy as recommended by earlier studies. While those studies predicted a 6 percent supersonic wave drag resulting in a 20 percent improvement in transonic acceleration and 2 percent improvement in maximum speed, MWF is expected to exhibit even greater transonic and supersonic performance improvements given a near perfect area ruling through the changes such as the addition of a nose plug, elongated and fattened front fuselage, optimized canopy shape and rear fuselage. The canards lower the trim drag across the flight envelope, further enhancing overall aircraft performance. As a matter of fact, MWF is expected to have a top speed of Mach 1.8 in level flight with two close-combat missiles (CCMs), which is a 12.5 percent increase over its existing performance.

https://delhidefencereview.com/2019...ows-a-pair-becomes-the-medium-weight-fighter/

the x-sonic acceleration inefficiency in Mk1/A is solely due to area ruling deficiencies- which could be solved by making the plane longer or fatter ahead of wing-like the Boeing 747-800, which has its signature upper deck "hump" placed in such a way as to make the change in cross-section along the plane's fuselage as smooth as possible.

View attachment 138288

..increased length, more thrust from F414 and canards are to address that.

Dr Madhusudhana Rao is calling them sensors only (antennae less frequently). 4 sensor DCMAWS on fin forward, spine & belly for spherical coverage.

Same sensor terminology from an old DRDO book
View attachment 138296
noted, Prof Mona :hehe:

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars now you are the most hated person in the Indian defence community. Yesterday many twiteratte were bad mounting you. The @Aditya Ballal saw that tried to defend you but in the last also bad mouthed you.
I badmouthed @ManhattanProject ? Lol I wasn’t even defending him, just took the case of some fanboy who thought weapon mounted accessories for SF personnel was not a “big deal”. Anyways not the ambit of this thread, reality and the truth hurts for some individuals.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
IDK, about any conformal antenna.
Don't think it's possible within the timeframe unless it's already under development. Most probably no!
Only for amca it's confirmed.

In one video i saw, ADA director saying 4axis maws for mk2:crazy:, however as per BEL (and logic), a 6 axis maws is required for complete coverage.

I hope what he said was wrong.
6axis is required for a amca like stealth fighter , and about conformal antenna ,once @Karthi quoted that it reduces performance

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I badmouthed @ManhattanProject ? Lol I wasn’t even defending him, just took the case of some fanboy who thought weapon mounted accessories for SF personnel was not a “big deal”. Anyways not the ambit of this thread, reality and the truth hurts for some individuals.
Where is this bad mouthing going on anyway, link me and let me defend myself.😂

anirban8

Country flag
Hey guys noob here. Just wanted to ask one thing. I have been checking out Tejas mk.2's specifications on the wiki and there I saw that it has a wing area of 44m^2. Now I have seen wing areas of various fighter jets and this wing area is comparable to rafale which is twin-engine aircraft. My question is won't this have an adverse effect on the dogfighting capabilities of this jet also if having more wing area is better then what are the advantages that this jet will have???

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles