ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Op Kahuta

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Quick question. I have been hearing a lot from these so called defense analysts on shitter that IAF is not interested anymore in Mk2 and that the reason being is that cuz our ACM hasn't said anything about it for a some time. I think it's a laughable logic but what do u people think? Also I read in a thehindu report that our ACM recently said that it's gonna take us 10-15 yrs to have 42 squadrons. So can anyone please tell me until then how is our air fleet going to be comprised of to take on china and pak?

UnderFingy

Country flag
Quick question. I have been hearing a lot from these so called defense analysts on shitter that IAF is not interested anymore in Mk2 and that the reason being is that cuz our ACM hasn't said anything about it for a some time. I think it's a laughable logic but what do u people think? Also I read in a thehindu report that our ACM recently said that it's gonna take us 10-15 yrs to have 42 squadrons. So can anyone please tell me until then how is our air fleet going to be comprised of to take on china and pak?
Not this again. lol.
There was a discussion on this last week. I think the consensus in this group was that IAF has no choice but to induct mk2.

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
On a Tejas LSP?? When and source pls
Seriously dude? Some more sensible questions or arguments is expected from a defence forum like this. Afterall this is not some twitter or reddit. Tejas is a single engine fighter. Kaveri is the first turbofan engine developed in house. Don't expect Kaveri to go into Tejas. Atleast within the next 5 or 6 years.
First it needs to go to a flying test bed(Russian Illuyish most probably) to demonstrate basic technology and parameters. These test need to be run for several hundred hours. In this stage, the engine intake is protected by the outer cover attached to the test bed pylon to prevent large items or particles from damaging the engine.
After proving stability, no vibrations etc.. engine impact test needs to be done to see how well the engine absorbs something sucked through the intake. ( Intake blades must not jettison out and strike other parts of the aircraft. The engine must absorb everything. Check GE and RR engine test footage in youtube ). Then water injection, ice injection tests all need to be done. Several hundred or thousands of hours.
Then only the engine will be fitted on a twin-engine flying test bed, like a MiG 29 etc... with Kaveri on one side and original engine of the Jet on the other side. In this configuration, the engine under test needs to be flown for thousands of hours in all atmospheric and weather conditions. Every part of the engine, from intakes to bearings, compressor section, single crystal blades, afterburner all must prove it can take abuse and still remain intact structurally.
After all these, if everything goes by smoothly(don't expect things to be smooth. It will be tough), maybe after atleast 15,000 to 20,000 hours, we may install it in a single engine fighter like Tejas. This will be a loooong process.
But one good news is that we are working on Ghatak. It's an unmanned platform. So we can afford to take more risks with the Kaveri if money is not an issue regarding Ghatak prototypes. So most probably Kaveri will fly with Ghatak prototypes for several thousands of hours.

JBH22

The irony being SAM/AD is actually one the the areas that has seen mammoth CAPEX flow from S400 to MRSAM and with Akash going from 1 to 1S to NG/2 there's a clear pipeline of very capable systems coming online not to mention QRSAM.
True it is one aspect where good improvement has been made. It is the foundation for fortress India.
Barak 8, Akash, S-400 is formidable combo. The only thing I don't understand is how different weapon system can operate in an integrated network. If some can shed some light.

This clown doesn't even know the basics of defence matters, he just likes the sound of his own voice and I don't know why he's considered an 'expert' by so many. He's been lobbying for foreign toys for a log time because he still thinks India is in the 1990s.
He craps out of his mouth many times. Once he said that airforce pilots will have trouble to adapt to Rafale, guess why!! He says quality of pilot not good and moreover unlike western counterparts who have played Playstation during their childhood, the latter have an undeniable advantage in training :)
Yes he said that. :crying::crying::crying::rofl::rofl::rofl:
We all know airforce is the service that attracts the brightest mind, and you have to be among the best to make it to fighter planes. Got the link, confidently phekh ta jara hain

Last edited:

Op Kahuta

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
True it is one aspect where good improvement has been made. It is the foundation for fortress India.
Barak 8, Akash, S-400 is formidable combo. The only thing I don't understand is how different weapon system can operate in an integrated network. If some can shed some light.

He craps out of his mouth many times. Once he said that airforce pilots will have trouble to adapt to Rafale, guess why!! He says quality of pilot not good and moreover unlike western counterparts who have played Playstation during their childhood, the latter have an undeniable advantage in training :)
We all know airforce is the service that attracts the brightest mind, and you have to be among the best to make it to fighter planes.
And raita wingers jerk to this bald dude's shitty opinion on defense matters:pound:

Brood Father

Country flag

We all know airforce is the service that attracts the brightest mind, and you have to be among the best to make it to fighter planes. Got the link, confidently phekh ta jara hain
abhijit-iyer.gif

abingdonboy

Country flag
Not this again. lol.
There was a discussion on this last week. I think the consensus in this group was that IAF has no choice but to induct mk2.
That’s not the consensus, that’s projection.

if IAF fixates on their MRFA pipe dream as they are doing then MK.2 will be sacrificed it’s as simple as that.

I bet you were saying 15 years ago the IAF would have no choice but to induct the LCA MK.1 in large numbers to replace all their MiG-21/23 squadrons and yet there will be Bison squadrons serving at least until 2025.

We’ve seen that the IAF will happily see its strength deplete in the hope they get some shiny foreign toys

UnderFingy

Country flag
That’s not the consensus, that’s projection.

if IAF fixates on their MRFA pipe dream as they are doing then MK.2 will be sacrificed it’s as simple as that.

I bet you were saying 15 years ago the IAF would have no choice but to induct the LCA MK.1 in large numbers to replace all their MiG-21/23 squadrons and yet there will be Bison squadrons serving at least until 2025.

We’ve seen that the IAF will happily see its strength deplete in the hope they get some shiny foreign toys
I didn't even know about the Tejas project until 2018. 🤣😭.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I pray to the Buddhas that PM Modi shoves this down IAF's throats.
1) Modi won’t be PM when MK.2 is ready for service
2) There’s no precedent for a PM making such procurement decisions on behalf of the services. That’s not how the system works- the executive can only sign off on plans the services make, they can’t specifically direct them what to buy.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Not only Mk2, but the whole developmental path to AMCA and beyond would be stunted due to lack of funds soaked by 90 (mfg. eco-system n tech on MK2 would be sharpened for future platforms) . In a no funds constraints situation (subjective), maybe the choices would be easier. Given that the government seems to be 'very' keen on defence exports (which also ties up the destination country to the supplier strategically for decades), it seems that MK2 would be inducted by IAF in large numbers.
* In my opinion, the only thing other than MK2 that would have changed government's mind vis-a-vis IAF requirement would be ORCA, had it been at a similar life cycle stage as MK2 (Still won't make sense from exports POV)
** I also believe that if IAF requires some more 4.5 gen aircrafts beyond the scheduled (we don't know the final number) purchase of MK2, it would be ORCA. Might look at it somewhere around the start of deliveries of MK2 and TEDBF.
*** Could a forum member educate me on why won't the airforce be interested in ORCA (if there is a logic beyond funds n interest in imported planes)
Edit: Have read the discussions on ORCA, but couldn't find a conclusion, therefore my query on ***

abingdonboy

Country flag
Not only Mk2, but the whole developmental path to AMCA and beyond would be stunted due to lack of funds soaked by 90 (mfg. eco-system n tech on MK2 would be sharpened for future platforms) . In a no funds constraints situation (subjective), maybe the choices would be easier. Given that the government seems to be 'very' keen on defence exports (which also ties up the destination country to the supplier strategically for decades), it seems that MK2 would be inducted by IAF in large numbers.
* In my opinion, the only thing other than MK2 that would have changed government's mind vis-a-vis IAF requirement would be ORCA, had it been at a similar life cycle stage as MK2 (Still won't make sense from exports POV)
** I also believe that if IAF requires some more 4.5 gen aircrafts beyond the scheduled (we don't know the final number) purchase of MK2, it would be ORCA. Might look at it somewhere around the start of deliveries of MK2 and TEDBF.
*** Could a forum member educate me on why won't the airforce be interested in ORCA (if there is a logic beyond funds n interest in imported planes)
ORCA doesn’t exist in any official document. It’s a defence forum/fanboy project only- not one official has ever mentioned it.

And yes MRFA impacts AMCA quite severely

Dessert Storm

Country flag
ORCA doesn’t exist in any official document. It’s a defence forum/fanboy project only- not one official has ever mentioned it.

And yes MRFA details AMCA quite severely
Well....if it does not exist in official documents, then why does it 'seem' to be off the table for IAF in forum. If TEDBF is going to be a reality, then from IAF's and export POV, Tejas MK1-MK1A-MK2-ORCA/TEDBF-AMCA seems to be a natural progression for our country (mfg/tech-eco-sysyem, exports) and the Forces.
*Can't quote any discussion per se. But thats the feel I got.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles