ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Has the technologies that will go into Tejas mk2 been realised.
If so, why cannot HAL do simaltaneous manufacturing of Tejas Mk1A and Mk2 ??
Someone is saying they don't have money.
Others are saying let's give them order.
Me think, if the majority of parts will come from private guys they have to do expansion.
For that they have to take money but lets see first signing of deal between HAL and IAF.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Has the technologies that will go into Tejas mk2 been realised.
If so, why cannot HAL do simaltaneous manufacturing of Tejas Mk1A and Mk2 ??
Not all of it... Whatever Mark 2 is operational, is to be incorporated in Tejas Mark 1A. Like AESA, AAMs, SPJ etc.
That's the very reason for having that interim version, as Mark 2 ended up into MWF, a completely modified platform altogether.

Meanwhile tech from AMCA that'll be ready by 2025, is in turn going to end up in MWF, like partial stealth.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Not all of it... Whatever Mark 2 is operational, is to be incorporated in Tejas Mark 1A. Like AESA, AAMs, SPJ etc.
That's the very reason for having that interim version, as Mark 2 ended up into MWF, a completely modified platform altogether.

Meanwhile tech from AMCA that'll be ready by 2025, is in turn going to end up in MWF, like partial stealth.
That's good. Now only HAL needs to get its sh*t together and work hard to turn Mk1A, MWF from a scale model to solid, welded reality.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
So this is our Desi Rafale and going to be future replacement for all Su30MKI ???

So this means there is no more follow on Rafale orders ?
I just want to see the face of our so called USA, FRANCE and RUSSIA friends right now who might be now coming to the fact that "NO MORE 15 BILLION DOLLARS order" some might be even dialing to dalals to make sure airforce don't go for TEDBF but this plane will be perfect partner for tejas.... Systems commonality, engine commonality operations commonality and a new MSME buildup.
It's good if thing move in this direction.

captscooby81

Country flag
Lets not get carried away on first day of decade , We still don't have the fucking engine to fly all thse MWF, AMCA,TEDBF and ORCA so they will still laugh their way to bank accounts with $billion deal for supplying engines .

I see a smart american game in play by slowly pushing us out of France camp by putting so many models to which the engines will be supplied by them that itself is a good business if you are not able to make someone buy your jets than make them by your engines instead of buying someone else Fighters it still gives you a golden egg basket to fill your coffers .

Lets wait and watch

I just want to see the face of our so called USA, FRANCE and RUSSIA friends right now who might be now coming to the fact that "NO MORE 15 BILLION DOLLARS order" some might be even dialing to dalals to make sure airforce don't go for TEDBF but this plane will be perfect partner for tejas.... Systems commonality, engine commonality operations commonality and a new MSME buildup.
It's good if thing move in this direction.

ladder

Country flag
I think this is HAL proposed IAF specific twin engined ORCA patterned on Rafale using uprated HTFE 25 engines ( same what they did with LCA MK1A )

Quote from an interview regarding HTFE 25

" Q: Why build 25kN engine when HAL license mfg same thrust class engines (adour-871 et al). Why not make Al-55 replacement?

A: Initially 20kN was proposed. Since Al-55 is ~17kN, a 20kN would have been good for IJT MK2. But the higher authorities went with 25kN. Wrt adour871 advantage in technology (smaller size, PR 11 vs 20, ~600mm vs ~450mm Turbine dia – huge turbine operating at lower rpm for Adour) , weight and size. So This engine while replacing Adour would give better performance. This engine can be used for Jagaur (which has 28kN engine) as well. Just need to change mounting points (and perhaps LP module?). Its very easy to adjust the design to various thrust levels by changing materials etc. Analysis already done. With similar core 35-40kN is achievable easily. SFC for this engine 0.72, better than older engines.

Or it could be the so called HTFE 40 engines , though i have not found any official evidence for the same
The ORCA might have 25T max take of weight ( as proposed for TEDBF) so needs larger power plant than HTFE25. Even if it is uprated.

If I speculate, it might have 2x ge414 or similar power plant.

porky_kicker

Country flag
The ORCA might have 25T max take of weight ( as proposed for TEDBF) so needs larger power plant than HTFE25. Even if it is uprated.

If I speculate, it might have 2x ge414 or similar power plant.
Possible ....................................

Also TEDBF is a clean sheet design and not related to LCA

While ORCA is based on LCA

ENKS0meUEAAwdpt.jpeg

Did anyone note the MAWS on the sides of fore section ?

Also i can more or less confirm the rendering is from HAL other than the fact that it's test pilot posted it .

If you note the words on the outermost missile it is labelled as NG CCM which is the HAL nomenclature for ASRAAM

Last edited:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Atleast set up one more development agency now.

One single agency cannot handle so many programs at once and how are we going to fund it and where is the room for this aircraft in the air force?
Su-30 Rafale and Tejas will make up the numbers for next 20 years until AMCA comes into the picture.

We must make use of whatever resources we have properly.

ORCA (probably Omni Role Combat Aircraft). Sir Force version of Twin Engine Deck based Fighter?

Defcon 1

Country flag
Atleast set up one more development agency now.

One single agency cannot handle so many programs at once and how are we going to fund it and where is the room for this aircraft in the air force?
Su-30 Rafale and Tejas will make up the numbers for next 20 years until AMCA comes into the picture.

We must make use of whatever resources we have properly.
Yeah right. The current number of silos are not enough. Let create one more and create more problems in aircraft development.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Yeah right. The current number of silos are not enough. Let create one more and create more problems in aircraft development.
Tell me what other design institution in the world in handling about half a dozen big ticket aircraft programs(ie is designing and developing the aircraft)?

We only have 1 credible aerospace agency, having one more would create competition and will be good for the aerospace industry in the country.

Atcjurvin

Jf 17 have maws where as tejas has external ew pod as there is no place to integrate internal ew suite.

MonaLazy

MWF, AMCA,TEDBF and ORCA
Q for the gurus.. aren't MWF, ORCA, Tejas Mk 2 the same? Or am i missing something here? and TEDBF is just navalised Tejas Mk 2, just like NLCA to LCA Mk 1.. so IMO there may be many names but ultimately it is just

1. Tejas Mk1/Mk1a- single-engined light fighter (replace mig-21)
1a. NLCA - its navalised version (may serve on INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant),

2. Tejas Mk2 - twin-engined medium fighter (replace mig-27/mig-29/jaguar/m2000 as & when)
2a. NLCA Mk2 - its navalised version - TEDBF

3. AMCA being the 5th gen program

of course they will have twin seat/trainer complements as appropriate.

Last edited:

itsme

Country flag
Q for the gurus.. aren't MWF, ORCA, Tejas Mk 2 the same? Or am i missing something here? and TEDBF is just navalised Tejas Mk 2, just like NLCA to LCA Mk 1.. so IMO there may be many names but ultimately it is just

1. Tejas Mk1/Mk1a- single-engined light fighter (replace mig-21)
1a. NLCA - its navalised version (may serve on INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant),

2. Tejas Mk2 - twin-engined medium fighter (replace mig-27/mig-29/jaguar/m2000 as & when)
2a. NLCA Mk2 - its navalised version - TEDBF

3. AMCA being the 5th gen program

of course they will have twin seat/trainer complements as appropriate.
MWF/TejasMK2 is a single engine fighter.
NLCA MK2 is not TEDBF

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles