ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Tell that to the UK MOD. They decided to 'delete' the cannon in Typhoon as being unnecessary in a modern fighter. Several years and tens of millions of pounds in cost later (taking a cannon out changes the balance of an aircraft so something needs to be done to fix the problem) they decided to put the cannon back in but not use it. As far as I know things finally progressed to where Typhoon was to start with - an aircraft with a cannon and rounds for it in the aircraft.

Military procurement is appallingly badly thought out and managed. The Typhoon cannon stupidity was a real fiasco.
Typhoon is a capable platform but late in game , aesa is in tranche 4 ,while rafale got it earlier , that's the problem with multinational project under democracy

Spitfire9

Country flag
Typhoon is a capable platform but late in game , aesa is in tranche 4 ,while rafale got it earlier , that's the problem with multinational project under democracy
Yup, differing requirements and different scheduling of agreed requirements (eg AESA) in the partner countries have delayed enhancing capabilities in Typhoon. The Eurofighter international partners have been successful in getting capability added later than need be at a higher cost than need be. Such are the deficiencies of an international programme.

India has not suffered such complications with Tejas yet GOI have somehow managed to screw things up all on their own.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Yup, differing requirements and different scheduling of agreed requirements (eg AESA) in the partner countries have delayed enhancing capabilities in Typhoon. The Eurofighter international partners have been successful in getting capability added later than need be at a higher cost than need be. Such are the deficiencies of an international programme.

India has not suffered such complications with Tejas yet GOI have somehow managed to screw things up all on their own.
Tejas was delayed , not screwed , it's airframe is quite sturdy , avionics in mk1a will be incomparable for any other in it's class , and a drone mothership varuant is in deveolpment , name any other fighter of this class having such a development trajectory , not just plans but real trials in work

onlinpunit

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Tell that to the UK MOD. They decided to 'delete' the cannon in Typhoon as being unnecessary in a modern fighter. Several years and tens of millions of pounds in cost later (taking a cannon out changes the balance of an aircraft so something needs to be done to fix the problem) they decided to put the cannon back in but not use it. As far as I know things finally progressed to where Typhoon was to start with - an aircraft with a cannon and rounds for it in the aircraft.

Military procurement is appallingly badly thought out and managed. The Typhoon cannon stupidity was a real fiasco.
How about replacing the gun with a PoD ?

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
How about replacing the gun with a PoD ?
Till the time laser weapons have matured & miniaturised enough, I think gun should stay as it will be the perfect replacement of it!
laser weapons would have almost the same effective area of operation as guns do!
at least in the beginning...
added benefit will be use in offensive but as well as defensive role!
Remember the Vietnam war!!

Spitfire9

Country flag
Till the time laser weapons have matured & miniaturised enough, I think gun should stay as it will be the perfect replacement of it!
laser weapons would have almost the same effective area of operation as guns do!
at least in the beginning...
added benefit will be use in offensive but as well as defensive role!
Remember the Vietnam war!!
How much power does a laser weapon need? I read that the US Laser Weapon System Demonstrator is a 150KW beast. I think that is about twice as much energy as an F-16 generates.

I can see existing designs with modest electrical power generation hitting problems integrating lasers. I hope potential power demand by future electrical devices is not underestimated in aircraft on the drawing board now (eg TEDBF, AMCA).

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
How much power does a laser weapon need? I read that the US Laser Weapon System Demonstrator is a 150KW beast. I think that is about twice as much energy as an F-16 generates.

I can see existing designs with modest electrical power generation hitting problems integrating lasers. I hope potential power demand by future electrical devices is not underestimated in aircraft on the drawing board now (eg TEDBF, AMCA).
Single Xf 9 generate 180 kw of energy and it's not ace engine ,nor does it eliminate traditional shaft enectricity generation system , this is higher than f 35 engine , so we can expect upcoming indigenous engine to be able to fullfill power but that will require shutting down some AVIONICS and subsystem or lowering power supply to charge laser , that requires faster processing and other avionics to be much more efficient , and higher data relay speed , optic fiber channels especially

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Well design and development of intelligent power management system of AMCA has been completed.

SARTHAK

Country flag
laser weapons are far from reality
(at least 6 to 8 years for usa,hence 10 years min. for india) lets focus on all other state of the art electronic warfare and sensors on amca

MonaLazy

Shouldn't it be +20° (LEU) to -30°(LED ) ? o_O

Coming down to land...
My limited understanding is Tejas' canards will play only a minor role if any while landing (no elephant ears). Braking responsibilities will continue to be as before:

Just like this su-30mki, at take-off..

& landing..

The canards hardly move as the real air brake deploys.

Compare this with the very busy Rafale canards:

..similarly dancing on the Gripen:

.. infact here they deflect sharply from LEU just before landing to LED after touch down offering resistance to air.

All said and done though, canards are just another control (+lift) surface in the aircraft designers' book- they need not be over-hyped.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Shouldn't it be +20° (LEU) to -30°(LED ) ? o_O

My limited understanding is Tejas' canards will play only a minor role if any while landing (no elephant ears). Braking responsibilities will continue to be as before:

Just like this su-30mki, at take-off..

& landing..

The canards hardly move as the real air brake deploys.

Compare this with the very busy Rafale canards:

..similarly dancing on the Gripen:
I'm definitely not qualifed to comment on what should & shouldn't about the canard angle.

But my guess on the Su-30 is that it's not dependent on canards to takeoff or land, because that function resembles the the canardless Su-27... But I learnt in deltas they are used to generate -ve lift to press it to the ground (before that to pitch-up nose to allow approach at slower speed), except not as much as Gripen as MWF has seperate air-brakes. That's our reasoning.
Don't refer to videos for kind of technical concepts. Google & read the canards functioning.

Last edited:

MonaLazy

Google & read
👍

What about the tender document snippet tho?

Shouldn't it be +20° (LEU) to -30°(LED) [NOT -20° (LEU) to +30°(LED) in the tender] as shown in the AoA diagram in my previous post? Is it a typo or just casualness to get something so critical to the plane, wrong in the tender document?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

Shouldn't it be +20° (LEU) to -30°(LED) [NOT -20° (LEU) to +30°(LED) in the tender] as shown in the AoA diagram in my previous post?
I don't see what's wrong with the numbers... And I don't get why it can't be -20°/+30°.

You'll have to elaborate. Only thing I can deduce is (1) MWF will do high-AoA level flight at no more than 20-22°AoA (MWF canards are inherently bent forward, so max(-)ve will be slightly more than 20°).

IMG_20210525_191517.jpg

And (2) that MWF's max possible AoA (without TVC ofcourse) would no more than be 40°.
Canard-position-canard-deflection-and-main-wing-angle-of-attack-AoA-a-Canard-in.jpg

Last edited:

Articles