ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Flying Dagger

Country flag
True. RR needs investment and will be willing partner to deal with.

F414 EPE for MK2? or TEDBF/AMCA?

That RR/GTRE deal should be highest priority. Production rate of those have to be off the roof for 200+126x2 + 56 x 2 and if MKIs than 200 x 2 more, all with 5-7 years.
F414 EPE should be for both program from the beginning as I highly doubt the Indian engine will arrive on time and their is no point in taking risk now and delay the program later.

Main advantage is Inc in dry thrust which will reduce the requirement of using after burner for Tejas when loaded or doing normal sorties. Same with AMCA and tedbf which will require more thrust for carrier operation unless we have other engine as option.

Ghost hale

Country flag
F414 EPE should be for both program from the beginning as I highly doubt the Indian engine will arrive on time and their is no point in taking risk now and delay the program later.

Main advantage is Inc in dry thrust which will reduce the requirement of using after burner for Tejas when loaded or doing normal sorties. Same with AMCA and tedbf which will require more thrust for carrier operation unless we have other engine as option.
EPE is not in any production flight yet right? Not even with US. Might be not fully developed.
Timeline of 10 years with RR involved should be suffice. A next gen fighter needs next gen engine. Not sure EPE is up for that role as tech is old. Low heat signature and fuel efficient/high speed characteristics are needed atleast for AMCA, useful for all.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
EPE is not in any production flight yet right? Not even with US. Might be not fully developed.
Timeline of 10 years with RR involved should be suffice. A next gen fighter needs next gen engine. Not sure EPE is up for that role as tech is old. Low heat signature and fuel efficient/high speed characteristics are needed atleast for AMCA, useful for all.
We need much higher inlet temperature , really really higher than what we have in others like m88 , ej200 etc .

Epe is far from reality , i fear ut may compromise on some other factors .

Anyone know something more on tempest

Ghost hale

Country flag
We need much higher inlet temperature , really really higher than what we have in others like m88 , ej200 etc .

Epe is far from reality , i fear ut may compromise on some other factors .

Anyone know something more on tempest
1 - Why???

2 - Haven't read anything. High thrust with new core shouldn't have that much downside. New core is what i read. If thats not the case then fuel efficiency will take a dip.

3 - As of last update few months back... Plan is pushed to late 2030s so lot of time is there similar to NGF of France Spain and Germany.

Trololo

Country flag
Unpopular opinion but we need to decouple from US engines by the end of the decade. Simply because of unreliable geopolitical situation (sanctions) or unbearable rent seeking behaviour. If the GTRE+RR pair up happens and work begins on new engines for India, then 1 focus area should be to ensure that there is no American technology involved in the product. Both from R&D PoV (software, tooling, etc) as well as production PoV (Machine tools, materials, etc).

Can some enlightened member tell me what will be the T/W ratio of the Mk2 with a 120KN engine for A2A and multi role load outs? And compare them to the same for the Typhoon and Rafale?

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
1 - Why???

2 - Haven't read anything. High thrust with new core shouldn't have that much downside. New core is what i read. If thats not the case then fuel efficiency will take a dip.

3 - As of last update few months back... Plan is pushed to late 2030s so lot of time is there similar to NGF of France Spain and Germany.
Improve core efficiency ,

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Unpopular opinion but we need to decouple from US engines by the end of the decade. Simply because of unreliable geopolitical situation (sanctions) or unbearable rent seeking behaviour. If the GTRE+RR pair up happens and work begins on new engines for India, then 1 focus area should be to ensure that there is no American technology involved in the product. Both from R&D PoV (software, tooling, etc) as well as production PoV (Machine tools, materials, etc).

Can some enlightened member tell me what will be the T/W ratio of the Mk2 with a 120KN engine for A2A and multi role load outs? And compare them to the same for the Typhoon and Rafale?
F 16 v class , we will simply increase max payload if pylons allow

Flying Dagger

Country flag
It is going to be developed for Super hornet they need it more than anything now since they have ordered new ones and are upgrading the others. US Navy is going to fund it if not we should depend on cost quoted .

And it's not old but the most efficient one available as of now and we will be needing it for 100s of Tejas AMCA tedbf etc.

A next gen engine isn't ready yet, neither have any timeline nor on offer yet and only paper Planes fly without engine. So GE engines are what we will be using for decades to come..

Flying Dagger

Country flag

Not unpopular we have to do a lot of things but fact is We can't we will be dependent on them.

That includes many unnecessary defense deal we made with them could have been avoided.

Ghost hale

Country flag
It is going to be developed for Super hornet they need it more than anything now since they have ordered new ones and are upgrading the others. US Navy is going to fund it if not we should depend on cost quoted .

And it's not old but the most efficient one available as of now and we will be needing it for 100s of Tejas AMCA tedbf etc.

A next gen engine isn't ready yet, neither have any timeline nor on offer yet and only paper Planes fly without engine. So GE engines are what we will be using for decades to come..
Adaptive cycle engine is believed to be next gen and work has been going on from late 2000s. Even EPE is not developed yet so not sure if that point holds.
Lastly, y this obsession with unproved engines that too also for single engine aircraft? Ur idea is right to have higher thrust engine but I guess engine is wrong.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Adaptive cycle engine is believed to be next gen and work has been going on from late 2000s. Even EPE is not developed yet so not sure if that point holds.
Lastly, y this obsession with unproved engines that too also for single engine aircraft? Ur idea is right to have higher thrust engine but I guess engine is wrong.
Unproved Engine? That must be the non exisiting next gen engine you are talking abt.

F 414 is the most reliable and efficient engine infact it is the F404 engine behind Tejas reliable safe flying record. EPE is mere upgrade to what already exist and GE can deliver it on time.

Adaptive cycle engine aren't available to us nor coming in near future do not just throw in anything which doesn't exist at all. I don't think this need further comment.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Unproved Engine? That must be the non exisiting next gen engine you are talking abt.

F 414 is the most reliable and efficient engine infact it is the F404 engine behind Tejas reliable safe flying record. EPE is mere upgrade to what already exist and GE can deliver it on time.

Adaptive cycle engine aren't available to us nor coming in near future do not just throw in anything which doesn't exist at all. I don't think this need further comment.
I termed unproved because as far as I read to get to that 120-130KN new core is to be used. That will surely be termed as unproved. Correct me if my info is wrong which can be as i haven't read too much about EPE.

F414 and F404 available currently, reliability is never in question.

RR and GTRE one is supposed to be with that Adaptive cycle with 110 KN + 20% upgrade possible. RR is already deep in Adaptive cycle and make sense to have that in proposed engine.

Lastly, till the time we can have civil point basis discussion, I can discuss.

flanker99

Country flag

USN isnt going to fund it.It was offered as an upgrade for super hornet but USN hasnt shown any interest till now.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I termed unproved because as far as I read to get to that 120-130KN new core is to be used. That will surely be termed as unproved. Correct me if my info is wrong which can be as i haven't read too much about EPE.

RR and GTRE one is supposed to be with that Adaptive cycle with 110 KN + 20% upgrade possible. RR is already deep in Adaptive cycle and make sense to have that in proposed engine.

Your info is completely wrong not just on GE but other things too and is only based on rumours.

USN isnt going to fund it.It was offered as an upgrade for super hornet but USN hasnt shown any interest till now.
They might Super hornet after Block III upgrade are wanting in thrust so they may opt for it as they have ordered new ones.

See there is no definite answer to it as of now but chances are they will go for it.

Also there are other customers around the world who would like to have it. So the cost will be recovered no matter what. But Then again someone have to take lead and I am not the one making decisions.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Your info is completely wrong not just on GE but other things too and is only based on rumours.

They might Super hornet after Block III upgrade are wanting in thrust so they may opt for it as they have ordered new ones.

See there is no definite answer to it as of now but chances are they will go for it.

Also there are other customers around the world who would like to have it. So the cost will be recovered no matter what. But Then again someone have to take lead and I am not the one making decisions.
Broad statement. Good idea will be to point fallacies.

Killbot

Country flag

Adaptive Cycle Engine? I've never seen that mentioned before. Where did you get this?

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Broad statement. Good idea will be to point fallacies.
Why should I point the obvious it's not broad but true.

First EPE isn't 130 kn class nor it's going to use an entire new core which basically means a new engine and no one is talking abt new engine other than F 414

It is upgrade of existing F-414 engine which is mentioned in all brochures of GE if you can simply Google and go through it or even care to read old posts in the forum itself.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles