ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaka

People who are criticizing LCA for its delays should look at MMRCA. We are not getting it before 2015.

Every jet in the world goes through IOC/FOC process

It was a well known fact that Tejas will get BVR only after IOC. Nothing new there. Anyway it will be ready to fire BVR missile much before MMRCA is going to get IOC.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Jai Hind!

neo29

neo29

Landing Gear Issues Near Resolved, LCA Navy To Take Off Soon

Took this photo of Commodore CD Balaji, director of the LCA Navy programme at the Tejas IOC event on Monday. He's a man under a lot of stress and it showed. He looked distracted, he paced constantly. The LCA-N missed its December 2010 first flight deadline as a result of confidence levels over landing gear and other issues according to sources, though the team (with help from EADS) is working hard to get past niggles and put the jet into the air sometime in the next three months. More details soon.

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2011/01/landing-gear-issues-near-resolved-lca.html

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
"¢ Total of 4 Tejas (2 + 2) will be inducted before December 2011. (Antony)
"¢Tejas Squadron to be raised in Bangalore for operational convenience and then will be moved to Sulur. (CAS)
"¢To start with it will have 2 squadrons. (CAS)
"¢MCA project is moving ahead with funds for technology development released. (Saraswat)
"¢ The Sencma-Kaveri pact should bring the results in 3-5 years. (Saraswat)
"¢Tejas is in the class of Mig 21++, but not yet a 4th generation machine. It will eventually become one. (CAS)
"¢Initially HAL plans to get 10 Tejas per year and the scene will change with increased orders. (HAL)
"¢Tejas is currently 60% indigenous and eventually will be 75 per cent by FOC. (Saraswat)
"¢Money is not an issue and the government will fund any R&D project. (Antony)
"¢HAL modernization in the pipeline. (Antony)

thecoolone

Tejas has just reached semi-final stage: Antony
The euphoria over the success of Tejas notwithstanding there has to be a reality check, even if it seems harsh. Even union defence minister A K Antony has admitted that Tejas has reached just "the semi-final stage'' at this point.

As was first reported by TOI earlier, the overall developmental cost of the Tejas project, including the naval variant and trainer, has zoomed up to Rs 17,269 crore from the initial Rs 560 crore earmarked for it in 1983. With each Tejas to cost around Rs 200 crore over and above this, India will end up spending well over Rs 25,000 crore on the programme.

Moreover, the real induction of the first 40 Tejas jets will begin only towards end-2013, with the first two squadrons becoming fully operational at the Sulur airbase (Tamil Nadu) by 2015 or so, a full three decades after the LCA project was first sanctioned to replace the ageing MiG-21s.

That's not all. The first test-flight of the Tejas Mark-II version, with more powerful American GE F-414 engines, will be possible only by December 2014, with its production beginning in June 2016. And even then, the Tejas will just be a medium to low-end fighter, not a high-end air dominance one.

ACM Naik, in fact, described Tejas as a "MiG-21 plus-plus'', and made it clear that it was not even a fourth-generation fighter at present but would be in the future, indicating it will primarily be used to plug the gap in numbers.

Consequently, India's frontline combat fighters will the 270 Russian-origin Sukhoi-30MKIs already being inducted for around $12 billion, the 126 new medium multi-role combat aircraft to be acquired in the $10.4 billion MMRCA project and the 250 to 300 fifth-generation fighter aircraft to be built with Russia in the gigantic $35 billion project.

Yes, there is no getting away from the critical fact that India has to be self-reliant in military hardware and software if it wants to emerge as a superpower on the global stage. But the Tejas saga puts serious question marks on the defence indigenisation model being followed.

The fighter, for instance, is still only around 60% indigenous despite being 27 years in the making. It, for example, is powered by American GE engines, with the indigenous Kaveri engine failing to pass muster despite Rs 2,839 crore being spent on it since 1989.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...mi-final-stage-Antony/articleshow/7257996.cms

p2prada

Well P2P I agree the Tejas has only a 22 degree AoA but it is far better than the MiG 21. As I told LCA is not as capable as the Mirage 2000. If the LCA had been in the size and weight category of the M2K it might.
LCA is nowhere near the M2000. Anyway I would have agreed with you had we only inducted one squadron of LCA Mk1. But why the second?

Sources please. this is clear from today's statement that it will get everything before FOC.
Check the rest of the thread. You will get your answer. IAF wants MK2. Says Mk1 does not fit their requirements. This was made clear 2 years ago.

Stop writing crap will you. How is LCA waay below MRCA standard because some brochure says so. Clarify it.
It's a 5ton aircraft. Where on earth does it even compare to anything, except the JF-17? Even Gripen is a complete platform. They had a flying prototype of the Gripen NG as far as in 2008. Our LCA Mk2 has not even gotten off the drawing board. What they had in 2010, we will have only in 2014. If we sign the MRCA deal in July, they will deliver by 2013.

The LCA Mk1 does not compare to any of the MRCA contenders in aerodynamics and engine power. It is technologically backwards compared to the MRCA contenders as well. What the MRCA is today the LCA will be in 2016(FOC of LCA Mk2). By 2016, we will already start working towards an upgrade plan for the MRCA fighters while we will be inducting the LCA Mk2.

What rubbish
Sure.

Do you even know that every jet in the world goes through IOC/FOC process. Weapons get certified and it takes time for that.
Oh! Gee. I did not know that. :bored:

Mk1 isn't what IAF requires. If this was the Mk2 it would have been a different story. IOC and FOC are for aircraft that fits needs. The LCA Mk1 is just to satisfy egos. A second squadron is a bit too much.

Can you back up your silly statements.
Ok. The LCA is an awesome aircraft with the best radar in the world. I guess I am no longer being silly.

Backup your statements please......
Back up what. Just google it. A 20KW radar, 2 5KW jammers wouldn't need to be backed up.

Backup your statements please......
The earth is round. Back that up for me and I will do the same. Mayawi isn't ready. It is cleared for use only after 2012.

You clearly haven't gone through the T-90 thread.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
But why such a long gap of almost 2 yrs from IOC to FOC.
Because it took whole 3 years to make Eurofighter full MRCA that only with Paveway LGBs and air to ground cannon firing.

Last edited:

S.A.T.A

Congratulations to the DRDO and all the people who were involved in the bringing the LCA about from start to finish.The nation has given them lots of brickbats,we shouldn't hesitate to offer them bouquets when they deserve it.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
LCA is nowhere near the M2000. Anyway I would have agreed with you had we only inducted one squadron of LCA Mk1. But why the second?
That because MK-1 can be upgraded to MK-2 standard during MLU.

Our LCA Mk2 has not even gotten off the drawing board. What they had in 2010, we will have only in 2014. If we sign the MRCA deal in July, they will deliver by 2013.
But EF's AESA is expected to be fully operational only by 2014 and yet it participated in trials, what irony?

What the MRCA is today the LCA will be in 2016(FOC of LCA Mk2). By 2016, we will already start working towards an upgrade plan for the MRCA fighters while we will be inducting the LCA Mk2.
What we know today is 5 out of 6 contenders failed Leh trials. And except Americans non have fully operational AESA on board. BTW what upgradation plan you see will go in MRCA inducted only 3 years ago but will not can not go in MK-2s inducted 2 years ago(IOC in 2014) consedering 2016 as baseline?

Mk1 isn't what IAF requires. If this was the Mk2 it would have been a different story. IOC and FOC are for aircraft that fits needs. The LCA Mk1 is just to satisfy egos. A second squadron is a bit too much.
So is Jaguar, a jet far inferior to Mk-1 but IAF is inducting it in numbers. Despite knowing that MK-1 can very well be upgraded to MK-2 but Jagaurs can't be for any good, sure dump long before life expires. I wonder if MK-1 is tax payers insult what is decision to buy more Jaguar?

Ok. The LCA is an awesome aircraft with the best radar in the world. I guess I am no longer being silly.
Yet it is one of the best among IAF and by time other will get better LCA too get one. Nothing special here.

Gripen C/D has PS-05/A with only 120Km rage. Oh, i forgot Gripen NG an AESA fighter which flew in 2008 but yet to receive IOC.

The earth is round. Back that up for me and I will do the same. Mayawi isn't ready. It is cleared for use only after 2012.
Mayawi is a EW suit and comprises of RWR, Laser warning, MAWS, JAMMER and CMDS. Of these RWR and CMDS are already on board, MAWS, lase warning system and Jammer will be by FOC. Wonder why people keep skipping FOC factor?

Last edited:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
ADA said in a statement that the following would bridge the gap between initial and final operational clearance: integration of beyond visual range weapons, gun, rockets, guided and unguided bombs, and the further expansion of its flight envelope to -3.5 to 8G (-2 to 6G for IOC) and 24-degrees angle of attack (22 for IOC).

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2011/01/iaf-grudgingly-accepts-tejas-ioc-wants.html

Derby should be easy to fire with the radar already integrated.It has already dropped unguided bombs and with the Litening pod already integrated dropping PGM s should be easy.We have a dedicated Machine for testing AOA. So let us hope we finish everything earlier this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles