ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbm

Country flag
How many of the aircraft - Kh, LSP and SP have radars ? All SP for sure - but the others ?

Defcon 1

Country flag

16 per year will be started from 2019, 25 per year will be from 2021 ..

I suggest people need to keep their trolling habits else where ..
Wrong. The graph shows clearly show over 60 LCA produced by end of 2020-21. In next four years, i.e. 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24, 2024-25, about 60 LCA are being produced according to the graph, giving an annual production rate of about 16 fighters per annum.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
There is no such quota. Kindly provide a source for the same if you claim otherwise.

India Willing To Export Tejas, Akash, BrahMos: Manohar Parrikar

Defense Alert Defence Update, IFTTT

India is willing to export Tejas fighter jets, Akash missile system and even the BrahMos missile, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Monday, but added that it will happen only after the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) requirements are met.

On defence exports, the minister said: “Once IAF requirements are taken care of, we can export Tejas, Akash, BrahMos.”

Tejas is an indigenously developed light combat aircraft. The Akash missile system is a mid-range surface-to-air missile developed by DRDO, and BrahMos is a short range supersonic missile, jointly developed by Russia’s NPO Mashinostroeyenia and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Mr Parrikar said clearance can be given for exporting up to 10 percent of what is manufactured.

On the Tejas aircraft, the minister said it was likely to be inducted into the Indian Air Force by the end of 2016 or early 2017.

He said the fly-by-wire system — an electronic control system that replaces conventional mechanical flight — of Tejas was one of the best.

“Its manoeuverability is superior,” he said.

Source:- NDTV.com

Defcon 1

Country flag
India Willing To Export Tejas, Akash, BrahMos: Manohar Parrikar
Defense Alert Defence Update, IFTTT

India is willing to export Tejas fighter jets, Akash missile system and even the BrahMos missile, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Monday, but added that it will happen only after the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) requirements are met.

On defence exports, the minister said: “Once IAF requirements are taken care of, we can export Tejas, Akash, BrahMos.”

Tejas is an indigenously developed light combat aircraft. The Akash missile system is a mid-range surface-to-air missile developed by DRDO, and BrahMos is a short range supersonic missile, jointly developed by Russia’s NPO Mashinostroeyenia and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Mr Parrikar said clearance can be given for exporting up to 10 percent of what is manufactured.

On the Tejas aircraft, the minister said it was likely to be inducted into the Indian Air Force by the end of 2016 or early 2017.

He said the fly-by-wire system — an electronic control system that replaces conventional mechanical flight — of Tejas was one of the best.

“Its manoeuverability is superior,” he said.

Source:- NDTV.com
Possibility of clearance is a Quota?

tejas warrior

Country flag

16 per year will be started from 2019, 25 per year will be from 2021 ..

I suggest people need to keep their trolling habits else where ..
Kunal Sir, when government documents like this graph writes 2016-17, what it means ?

April 2016 to March 2017 ?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Possibility of clearance is a Quota?
For anyone who can read between lines, yes, it is. " ...... can be given......." interprets as once orders become more likely or for sceptic souls when confirmed.

Anyway that was just a source that I could find quickly. And not the one I was looking for. But still the link that I posted has ample clarity. So why bother any longer?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
One more thing. We need to be realistic with numbers. Our dream of 42 squadrons might remain a pipe dream.
Given
New aircrafta are very very costly. We can't afford 5th gen plane more than 100.
And 4.5 gen Rafael and tejas are way more costly than MIGs, JAG's.

Lca is much more capable than MIGs 21 or 27. It also outsmarts Jaguar and mirage.
With such qualitative advantage numbers are bound to go down as well as costs increased

Also they are multirole fighters.

So as all over the world replacing number to number is not a prudent strategy.

That being said we need to somehow maintain 34 squadrons in the midterms.
We need to work on Aerodynamis of tejas. I am happy that Mk1+ will have 8% aerodynamic improvement which will improve trans sonic acceleration by 20% and highest speed by 2%. It will improve the range as well.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This means the graph shown here pre-date HAL statement of producing 25 per year..

I cannot comment on months, But 2016-17 is the time IAF is meant to get 3 Tejas operational ..

Wrong. The graph shows clearly show over 60 LCA produced by end of 2020-21. In next four years, i.e. 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24, 2024-25, about 60 LCA are being produced according to the graph, giving an annual production rate of about 16 fighters per annum.
Kunal Sir, when government documents like this graph writes 2016-17, what it means ?

April 2016 to March 2017 ?

Filtercoffee

Country flag
We need to work on Aerodynamis of tejas. I am happy that Mk1+ will have 8% aerodynamic improvement which will improve trans sonic acceleration by 20% and highest speed by 2%. It will improve the range as well.
You think after improvements and F414 it will make Mach 2.5?

StealthFlanker

Country flag
Those figures seem overly optimistic to be honest. 20% improve in transonic acceleration is a massive improvement

kstriya

Country flag
F404-GE-IN20 or Kaveri , IAF keeps both options open for Tejas MK-1A

Published November 27, 2016

SOURCE: Anand SG / FOR MY TAKE / IDRW.ORG

GE Aviation till now has supplied 49 F404 afterburning engines to power the first operational squadron of Tejas fighter aircraft for the Indian Air Force.

41 engines are F404-GE-IN20 engines which can generate more than 19,000 pounds (85 kN) uninstalled thrust . India also has 8 older F404-F2J3 engines supplied before India conducted Pokhran II ,which were used to power earlier Technology Demonstrator and earlier prototypes .

IAF recently placed orders for 83 upgraded Tejas MK-1A which could likely to have powered F404-GE-IN20 engines but Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has shown no urgency in placing orders for additional F404-GE-IN20 engines in hope that indigenous Kaveri engine will be ready to power Tejas MK-1A.

DRDO and Snecma have revived Kaveri engine program and are confident that in next 18 to 24 months engine will be ready for flight trials from Mig-29 or LCA-Tejas combat aircraft.

IAF is yet to comment on Kaveri engine program but voices in IAF have shown confidence in the indigenous engine and have decided to back indigenous engine program so that it can be used if it is ready before Tejas MK-1A enters production in 2021 .

StealthFlanker

Country flag
Isn't the inlet expanded after 414 and metal content reduced for composites?
Expanded inlet only increase amount of air into the engine.General that would increase thrust at subsonic speed and static thrust. But to increase top speed , you will need abilities to create multiple shock to slow air down before it reach the turbine. And a fixed inlet will normally stopped you at around Mach 2.
Metal content reduced for composite generally doesnt help with speed. At best , it makes aircraft lighter , but by very insignificant amount

IndianHawk

Country flag
You think after improvements and F414 it will make Mach 2.5?
I think the improvements are geared towards extending range and payloads.

At Mach 1.8 it's already one of the fastest single engine plane out their and it's very agile .

Our concentration should be on maximizing the payload for extended ranges.

Last edited:

Filtercoffee

Country flag
I think the improvements are geared towards extending range and payloads.

At Mach 2.2 it's already one of the fastest single engine plane out their and it's very agile .

Our concentration should be on maximizing the payload for extended ranges.
It's still rated at 1.8 Mach. How can you increase payload?

IndianHawk

Country flag
It's still rated at 1.8 Mach. How can you increase payload?
Err I made a mistake I took 2205km/hr as 2+ Mach. Mea culpa :hail:

Still it's one of the fastest single engine bird out there so not much to do at that front.

Also

Mk1A is supposed to reduce weight plus a more powerful engine.
So technically it shall be able to carry heavier payloads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles