ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Well, it may be true about what you and I have mentioned about typical flight hrs of IAF pilot. This is what IAF pilots too say...

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/article2186466.ece

If we consider this 6000 hrs of flight time for one LCA means 60 years in service without any major overhaul which is very unlikely. I think IAF would take any thing from 3000 to 4000 hrs as what they have asked for in IOC.

As far as my calculation about fuel consumption and thrust is concerned, I may be wrong, but my calculations are very near to reality based on this outputs.

Minimum Thrust of GE F404 47 kN
Fuel consumption of GE F404 82.6 kg/kN h

https://defenseissues.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/fighter-aircraft-engine-comparision/

it implies that to produce minimum thrust of 47 kN for 1 hr it would consume 3882 kg of fuel. you could add or delete couple of hundred from this. So in clean configuration mode you can't expect Tejas to be in air for 1 hr in one sortie. Along with this if we club the average flight hrs of an IAF pilot, my projection of 185 hrs of Tejas flight time per year is a high probability.

But again we can only predict these things unless and until we get our hands on any official document.
Cursing power requirement shall be very very low compared to peak power. It may not be even half. Engine shall be used in maximum power configuration very few time in special circumstances.

Saab guys are using the GE variant with some 10% higher thrust engine. May be HAL wants that derivative for tejas.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
What is Service Life of LCA air frame.CAG Report Mentioned It Is 1000 hours that Pretty Low
Service life of Tejas is 30 years or 3000 hours. This presumes the aircraft is flown for 100 hrs/ year on average.
http://sajeevpearlj.blogspot.in/2015/07/extracts-of-interview-with-p-s.html?m=1
As for F-16, the figure of 8000 hrs is Correct (wikipedia). It is surprising that with composite material covering 90% of the surface area, Tejas's Airframe has less lifespan than F--16's which is 80% aluminium and supposed to suffer more metal fatigue & stress during high g maneuver.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The interview is good and answers many questions. Still we must wait for official specs post FOC.

Commenting on service life at this point is a highly misleading exercise.

charlie

Country flag

Look at the way technicians are working there, I would get fired right away If my boss see me working like that for 10 min.

Look at the guy installing rivets:frusty:

No matter how much outsourcing HAL does but the final product is going to come out of HAL. I saw a Leica AT901- SMR being used, it's so expensive I assume Faro ion is cheaper then Leica. They buy the best stuff available in the market, but have a shitty work culture.

http://w3.leica-geosystems.com/downloads123/m1/metrology/general/brochures/Leica Absolute Tracker brochure_en.pdf

Last edited:

Anupu

Country flag

Look at the way technicians are working there, I would get fired right away If my boss see me working like that for 10 min.

Look at the guy installing rivets:frusty:

No matter how much outsourcing HAL does but the final product is going to come out of HAL. I saw a Leica AT901- SMR being used, it's so expensive I assume Faro ion is cheaper then Leica. They buy the best stuff available in the market, but have a shitty work culture.

http://w3.leica-geosystems.com/downloads123/m1/metrology/general/brochures/Leica Absolute Tracker brochure_en.pdf

What's with the Jazz music... you are not reporting suhagraat of someone :frusty:. You can report something without music why can't these people understand that. And a private conglomerate should be given the LCA, along with all future R&D that should be done on the aircraft. These guys have no plan for the future of LCA, no sense of urgency.

charlie

Country flag
What's with the Jazz music... you are not reporting suhagraat of someone :frusty:. You can report something without music why can't these people understand that. And a private conglomerate should be given the LCA, along with all future R&D that should be done on the aircraft. These guys have no plan for the future of LCA, no sense of urgency.
Private firm in India don't have the budget for R&D like in US, US firms get tax break on the amount spent on R&D.

In the begnning GOI should foot the bill for the R&D done by Private sector, DPP 2016 looks quite promising for MSME, let's hope it will work out.

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
New Tejas Documentary

KEY SUMMARY SP1 and SP2 handed over to IAF, SP3 almost ready and SP4 will join later by end of July.
First Squadron by the end of July or early August with Four aircraft in Bangalore (SP1-SP4).
SP-5 and SP-6 seen in Sub-Assembly Jig .
Work seen been carried out on Rear Fuselage assembly of SP-5 New Paintshop hangar to be inaugurated in next few days . 1
0 Days is what it takes to Paint one Tejas fighter jet
FOC expected by end of this year Tejas MK-1A to take to air by 2018
65 % is indigenisation level of LCA-Tejas New Hangars are under construction to house 1st Squadron near HAL facility before its moved to Sulur .

http://idrw.org/new-documentary-on-lca-tejas-by-news9-and-few-updates/ .

tejas warrior

Country flag
Source : BR Forums

Breaking News !!!

IAF chief ACM Arup Raha will tomorrow take his maiden flight on LCA Tejas in Bangalore..

Hope this is true.. and everything goes smoothly..

Will be a great confidence booster + huge push to the program.

tejas warrior

Country flag
IAF chief to take maiden flight in Tejas

File Photo: IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha
New Delhi: IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha will tomorrow take his maiden flight in India's indigenous light combat aircraft, Tejas, and review the development so far. Raha will also inaugurate the LCA paint hangar in Bengaluru and visit the production line of the aircraft. The IAF has given an order of 120 Tejas, with 100 of them being an upgraded version. He will fly a sortie in a Tejas trainer aircraft which is a two seater, defence sources said. He will also visit the hangar where the Mirage 2000 is being upgraded.

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), manufacturer of Tejas, is likely to hand over the fourth aircraft to IAF by June end. The four aircraft will make up for the first squadron of IAF which will be used for training and familarisation. Rather than waiting for LAC Mk II, IAF had decided to go in with an upgraded version of the existing Tejas with over 40 modifications. IAF currently plans to acquire 120 Tejas aircraft, with 100 of these having major modifications. The force wants Active Electrically Scanned Array (AESA) Radar, Unified Electronic Warfare (EW) Suite, mid-air refueling capacity and beyond the vision range missiles.
As per the production plan, six aircraft will be made this year (2015-16) and HAL will subsequently scale it up to eight and 16 aircraft per year. Upgraded version of Tejas will cost between Rs 275 crore and Rs 300 crore. Tejas, which was several years in the making, has now caught the attention of foreign buyers, with Sri Lanka and Egypt evincing interest in the fighter jet. Sri Lanka had recently rejected Pakistan's JF-17 aircraft built with Chinese help, while Egypt had last year signed a contract for 24 French-made Rafale fighter jets. The two countries are interested in the current version of Tejas and not the upgraded one which will be rolled out later.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha became the first IAF chief to fly in the multi-role supersonic Tejas at the HAL facility in Bengaluru on Tuesday morning. Air Chief Marshal Raha, a veteran fighter pilot, flew the Tejas trainer (PV-6) with Group Captain M Rangachari, an IAF test Pilot from the prestigious Aircraft & Systems Testing Establishment. Later, speaking on the occasion of the graduation ceremony of the 38th Flight Test course of ASTE, the Air Chief said “It’s a good aircraft to fly and fit to be inducted into our fleet,” During the sortie, the Air Chief carried out manoeuvres cheking out the entire flying envelope of the aircraft. The Air Chief, carried out simulated air-to-air and air-to-ground attacks. He also assessed the advanced modes of the radar and Helmet Mounted Display Sight (HMDs). The Air Chief appreciated the flying qualities of the aircraft and congratulated the entire team of ADA and HAL. Later in the day, the Air Chief also inaugurated the LCA paint hangar and visited the aircraft’s production facility at the HAL.

Last edited:

pmaitra

ACM Arun Raha is a MiG-21 and MiG-29 pilot. Given that MiG-21, a high altitude fighter, is slated to be replaced by LCA, another high-altitude fighter, I think the ACM can give a good feedback.

salute

full video,

......................................................................................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles