ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tejas warrior

Country flag
LCA naval platforms begin night flying from SBTF in Goa

Bengaluru, May 24: The naval prototypes of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) - NP-1 (trainer) and NP-2 (fighter) - have begun their night flying activities for the first time from the Shore Based Test Facility (SBTF) at INS Hansa in Goa. This is virtually a back-to-back campaign for the NLCA team, considering they only finished the previous trials at the end of April. The detachment includes scientists and engineers from Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). The current trials began on May 21 and are expected to continue through this week. "The night trials are critical for the project. This is for the first time that both NP-1 and NP-2 are undertaking night operations from SBTF. Both have done extensive night trials from normal runways," says an official. So far both platforms have carried out four sorties with the time duration ranging from 25 to 30 minutes. "It's important that we complete these sets of trials before Monsoon sets in. Pre-Monsoon winds are favourable for undertaking the tests. We are also fine-tuning some of the parameters we have tested in April. Ahead of the current campaign, both platforms underwent some stress analysis tests in Bengaluru," says the official. During the April campaign at SBTF, NP-2 demonstrated the fuel jettison test successfully. This is the capability to dump/jettison fuel in case of a requirement arising due to an emergency after launch of an aircraft from an aircraft carrier. The excess fuel is dumped into the ocean in a systematic manner, to reduce the weight of the aircraft. "Typically the landing mass is much lower than the take-off mass and is a feature required on all naval aircraft operating from a ship. Ahead of this, we have undertaken extensive design and simulation tests. A Sea Harrier (now decommissioned) was the chase aircraft capturing the event," says the official. Radar and data link too tested In the last campaign, preliminary evaluation of air-to-sea mode of the radar was carried out to gather data. The data link (only on naval version) evaluation was carried out with the Sea Harrier in flight. Sea Harrier also had the same data link of NLCA. "Other test points required to gather data at sea level were the parametric identification (PIDs) sorties with LEVCON (Leading Edge Vortex Controller) deflected to minus-30 degrees. The flutter test (vibration) points were also captured," says the official. Hot refueling routinely carried out in Goa The hot-refueling concept, widely tested in Bengaluru, was continuously been carried out in Goa on NP-2. This is an activity wherein the aircraft after its sortie, instead of switching off, is refueled with the engine running and pilot in the cockpit. It then immediately takes off again. "This is thus a game changer as the sortie productivity is enhanced. This has given two sortie worth of test point coverage in a single sortie. This is currently the only fighter aircraft in the country with this capability. We could incorporate this feature on the IAF version (Tejas) also," adds the official.

Read more at: http://www.oneindia.com/india/lca-naval-platforms-begin-night-flying-from-sbtf-in-goa-2107949.htm

Chinmoy

Country flag
Hot refueling routinely carried out in Goa The hot-refueling concept, widely tested in Bengaluru, was continuously been carried out in Goa on NP-2. This is an activity wherein the aircraft after its sortie, instead of switching off, is refueled with the engine running and pilot in the cockpit. It then immediately takes off again. "This is thus a game changer as the sortie productivity is enhanced. This has given two sortie worth of test point coverage in a single sortie. This is currently the only fighter aircraft in the country with this capability. We could incorporate this feature on the IAF version (Tejas) also," adds the official.
Now this is what I was always wanting to see apart from mid air refueling. A real breakthrough I would say.

tejas warrior

Country flag
Now this is what I was always wanting to see apart from mid air refueling. A real breakthrough I would say.
Yes.

LCA-N is currently the ONLY fighter aircraft in the country with this capability. We could incorporate this feature on the IAF version (Tejas) also.

Just bcos Navy is on board LCA project, MK2 will come.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yes.

LCA-N is currently the ONLY fighter aircraft in the country with this capability. We could incorporate this feature on the IAF version (Tejas) also.

Just bcos Navy is on board LCA project, MK2 will come.
I am sure that the anti Tejas lobby is going through a serious heart burn because of it. They were crying like that the retake off time of Tejas is too much, because it dont have this hot refueling capability and it takes time for reevaluation of all the electronics after a sortie.

But now both of these had been addressed.

tejas warrior

Country flag
Manohar Parrikar interview:

For 10 years we saw a frustratingly complex and slow-moving weapons buying system. We haven’t seen much of a difference in the last two years. How can you say that Antony was honest but an output was absent?

You are talking like this because you don’t know figures of acquisition. For example, the CAG 2013 report says most of the ammunition stock in India has gone down below critical level. Now, out of 170 only 38 items are insufficient, but in the coming months only 21 items will be below critical level… The output of the ordnance factory has improved for the first time by 17 per cent. It was stagnant for four to five years and hovering around Rs 10,000 to Rs 11,000 crore… Ammunition expenses were around Rs 4,500 crore in 2013-14 but have now reached Rs 6,800 crore, increased by 50 per cent. What I am trying to point out is that if you go case by case, things are moving up. Two, all PSUs and ordnance factories have shown a increase in turnover from around Rs 43,000 crore to Rs 51,000 crore, around a 20-per-cent growth. Three, in aviation Tejas has been inducted, a second Tejas delivered, the third will be delivered in June, and in July or August the first squadron will be formed. After 32 years, Indian-made light combat fighters have been inducted and a formation worked out. The Air Force chief (Arup Raha) himself flew the plane. From a situation where no plane was coming up to a situation that the first squadron will be formed now is a great achievement.

But, then, ADA and HAL [Aeronautical Development Agency and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited ] weren’t delivering the final version of Tejas.

That is what leadership is all about. I ensured that ADA delivers what the Air Force wanted. I had 18 meetings with them, we sorted it out. Finally, the Air Force says it will buy 120 Tejas aircraft… We are offering to friendly countries and we may start exporting also. Tejas aircraft were made and dumped, I made it operational. Basically, what I want to say is that there was a mess created over a period of 10 years due to no decisions. Now decisions are being made and its impact will be felt as the days pass.

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...defence-minister-defence-procurement-2815916/

pmaitra

Nice article. Thanks for sharing. For a person who is a former MiG-21 and MiG-29 pilot, the LCA was in good hands.

On a related note, Suresh Kalmadi is a former Indian Air Force pilot.
@Kunal Biswas, I think I owe an addditional explanation to my post.

I merely mentioned that Suresh Kalmadi is a former Indian Air Force pilot as a matter of fact. This is not an endorsement of his actions.

While I do believe he knows a thing or two about flying aircraft and does have first hand knowledge about the Indian Air Force, his accusations against DRDO are merely accusations, unless there is solid evidence. Moreover, him being a former military man does not give him a carte blanche to do whatever he wants. He was mired in corruption scandals, including the one during the Commonwealth Games.

Rahul Singh

Country flag

That's 8 seconds to jump. And climb rate looks good enough. Last time two R-73s were carried by NP-2. Hope this campaign sees more load mixes. May be centre line drop tank in addition to R-73s this time. If NLCA can take off with 2 bvraam, 2 wvraam and one centreline drop tank then it can placed on Vikrant for data generation and training.

Though, 4x Derby + 2x R-73s + one centerline drop tank is the ideal a2a mission load and possible only in MK-2 version.

Zebra

Country flag
PAF F-16 pilots are advised to stay away from the LCA in the horizontal plane at high Mach numbers

By: ADARSH - Defence News

The relative performance characteristics of the LCA versus the Lockheed-Martin F-16A/B aircraft operated as the premier frontline fighter by the Pakistani Air Force.......................

Source : http://www.defencenews.in/article.aspx?id=5350
May be the author of this article doesn't know that F-16A/B aircrafts were made by General Dynamics and not by Lockheed-Martin.

And now, if I am not wrong, they become F-16C/D Block 52 after MLUs.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
While china has beaten us in many areas there are few selected areas where we have beaten the dragon. Launching NLCA from SBTF is one.

While some may argue saying Chinese have already operationalized its carrier born fighter called J-15. That will be completely ignoring the fact that J-15 is just an unlicensed copy of a matured and now retired Russian design called SU-33. Hence it does not qualify.

abingdonboy

Country flag
That's 8 seconds to jump. And climb rate looks good enough. Last time two R-73s were carried by NP-2. Hope this campaign sees more load mixes. May be centre line drop tank in addition to R-73s this time. If NLCA can take off with 2 bvraam, 2 wvraam and one centreline drop tank then it can placed on Vikrant for data generation and training.

Though, 4x Derby + 2x R-73s + one centerline drop tank is the ideal a2a mission load and possible only in MK-2 version.
I'm sure it may have been a factor of the angle this was filmed at and no doubt the tiny beast was minimally fueled but I was quite impressed by the acceleration of that little thing. The videos I have seen of the MiG-29K taking off from the SBTF or the Viky appear to make it look more sluggish than the NLCA but this is a very superfical and uninformed analysis.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Moon-lit Mission for naval LCA at SBTF in Goa I VIDEO

Read more at: http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...at-sbtf-in-goa-i-video-english-news-1.1084505

According to officials, the Navy was initially apprehensive over disorientation issues with pilots when the aircraft went for higher Alphas.

Read more at: http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...at-sbtf-in-goa-i-video-english-news-1.1084505

With a NVG compatible glass cockpit and an advanced HMDS the LCA should really not have any such issues with night flying and these test flights proved as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles