ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Any news which engine EJ 200 or GE 414 is likely to be selected. Both companies had submitted their final bids
both technical and commercial in december.

vijayvenkatramani

1. So has it already been decided at the highest levels of government policy that MCA will be the replacement for the LCA-Tejas?
2. How long will the development cycle be for this MCA (+5 gen aircraft) and at what cost ($$ budget)?
3. Is LCA-Tejas capable of continuing in squadron service until 2050 and meet all IAF requirements?

Last edited:

gogbot

Well there is an MCA/NGFA thread if you want info on that. But for your queries now ill post a response

1. So has it already been decided at the highest levels of government policy that MCA will be the replacement for the LCA-Tejas?
No, You have it all wrong.

IAF wants to ideally operate three different kinds of Aircraft. For different roles and Easier logistics.

Light Combat Aircraft-LCA i.e Tejas (LCA) , Mig-21 , Mirage-2000(not sure on the mirage role classification, I am determining based on Engine, and the fact it is not outfitted to carry nukes)
Medium Combat Aircraft-MCA i.e Next generation Combat aircraft(MCA) , MMRCA , Jaguar , Mig-27
Heavy Combat Aircraft-HCA i.e SU-30 MKI , FGFA

Of Course in reality, the IAF is forced to Operate more than just three types of aircraft. But they all fall into one of those Class types
SO the MCA and LCA are two totally different aircraft designed to serve two different roles.

Its not so simple are i make it out to seem,

All Future Aircraft in the IAF will be fully Multi-role.

MKI, MIg-29 SMT, MRCA and FGFA are all multi-role aircraft, That happen to excel in Air superiority missions. They can still perform their strike role just as fine.

LCA, and Mirage, are not point defense aircraft, But Multi role platforms that are capable of performing missions of all spectrum's . From Air combat to Strike missions. the Tejas intact was originally designed to be a strike aircraft, but growing demands by the IAF have resulted in it being evolved into a true Multi-role aircraft capable of carrying the most advanced weapons in the Indian Arsenal. Allowing to now participate in air attack and defense missions

Mig-27 and Jaguar are the IAF primary Attack Bomber aircraft. Especially since they are the only platforms officially acknowledged to be used in Nuclear Strike Missions.
These are stated to be replaced by the Multi role NFGA(MCA).

Mig-21 is the only Aircraft in the IAF fleet, that is specifically used for the point defense role. Its bombing capabilities are limited in comparison to the remainder of the fleet. But since it is equipped with the latest weapons such as BVR missiles and Advanced radar. It can perform intercept missions. Making it a decent point defense fighter.
That can also be called upon to perform attack roles when necessary.

The main purpose of this aircraft is to replace the aging SEPECAT Jaguar & MiG-27. Design work on the MCA has been started
2. How long will the development cycle be for this MCA (+5 gen aircraft) and at what cost ($$ budget)?

India's "Next Generation Fighter Aircraft" (Formerly MCA)

In August 2008, right about the time the Indian Air Force had decided to officially kickstart procedures to get the Medium Combat Aircraft (MCA) off the realm of theory, then Chief of Air Staff Fali Major happened to bump into DRDO chief M Natarajan and then HAL chairman Ashok Baweja at an industry suppliers function in Bangalore. The Chief was mildly irritated that both Baweja and Natarajan had provided media sound-bytes and interviews suggesting that the MCA would have "fifth generation technologies". He impressed upon both gentlemen, over tea, that if the MCA went the LCA way, it would be not just unacceptable to the air force, but an act of criminal disregard for the country's security. "Give the air force a bloody first-rate fourth generation aeroplane. That is the job before you," he said.

Two months later, in October 2008, the name of the MCA programme was changed (on recommendation to the Secretary, Defence Production) to "Next Generation Fighter Aircraft", though MCA continues to be used alternatively without any particular distinction.

As per official documentation by the IAF, it wants the MCA to be a twin-pilot configured multirole stealth aircraft capable of "close air support, all weather interception, air defence suppression, long-range strike, electronic attack, limited command & control and reconnaisance" -- that's the profile from an official IAF wishlist to the ADA last year. That might roll right off the air force's tongue, like off a brochure, but they're deadly serious. Putting all speculation to rest when it officially began dialogue about the MCA in 2008, the IAF said it was not willing to look at a strike aircraft with other capabilities. It wants a fully multirole (preferably, swingrole) aircraft for the job.

As we speak, a joint committee of several bodies involved with the NGFA is finetuning the configuration of the final jet, before work begins on building a tech demonstrator, three prototype vehicles and two production series trial jets -- the wind tunnel model unveiled at Yelahanka in February 2009 is largely what the aircraft will look like, though there are three other variants that have not been displayed yet. A twin-engine delta planfrom version, which was a direct derivative from the LCA, has since been shelved -- low observable requirements demanded a fully new airframe approach, which finally ended in the design that people got to see at Aero India 2009. While the wind-tunnel model, fabricated by a Bangalore-based engineering firm, is the product of an ADA/HAL study, there will be dramatic changes yet to the aircraft's intakes (utterly radar friendly, according to the IAF), vertical stabilisers and dorsal section, say sources.

Air Chief Marshal PV Naik, in his first interaction with the ADA last year, seemed to nitpick on indigenous radar capability, more than anything else when it came to the topic of the MCA. Sources say he was deeply incensed when given a brief on the Multi-mode Radar (MMR), pioneered by the Electronics Research & Development Establishment (LRDE) for the LCA Tejas programme. In a chat with the director of the ADA, he said the next aircraft that the agency designed and built, needed to be centred around an Indian active array combat radar. In fact, the LRDE has already proposed a second radar (deriving from the MMR) for the MCA, with technological spin-offs currently being gleaned from its partnership with Israel's Elta. But Naik didn't buy that. He said it didn't matter what the DRDO was learning from who at this stage. When it came down to putting the nails in, he said he wanted a fully Indian radar on the MCA.

While configuration fructifies, the following work has begun on the MCA in full earnest: DARE, Bangalore has appointed a special team to begin identifying avionics and cockpit packages for the first prototype vehicle, and will supply this in published form to the ADA by July 2010. This will include cockpit electronics, cockpit configuration, man-machine interface, mission console systems and computers/software with a focus on data fusion and modular architecture. The LRDE will, in about the same time frame, provide a separate project proposal for an all new radar, to be re-designated for the MCA, as a derivative of the MMR currently being completed with technology from Israel's ELTA. LRDE will independently look in the market for a partner for active array technology, though it communicated to ADA in June 2009 that it had sufficient R&D available to build a reliable AESA prototype with assistance from Bharat Electronics Ltd and two private firms based in Hyderabad.

There is a collossal amount of work going on as far as materials is concerned for the MCA/NGFA. With the IAF unmoving in its demand for an aircraft that has stealth characteristics built into it from the drawing board forward, the DRDO has powered teams within its materials laboratories in Pune and Hyderabad to come up with new composities, low observable materials fabrication techniques, and of course, radar-absorbent control surface aggregates, airframe materials and paints.

The most crucial part of the programme is of course the engine. The Kaveri-Snecma turbofan is being counted upon vigorously to be ready to power prototypes of the MCA by the middle of this decade. There is no Plan-B just yet as far as engines go. However, technologies such as single crystal and nickel-based superalloys in turbofans are still some way off as far as Indian development is concerned -- the IAF wants the use of both to be a given in the engines that power the MCA.

According to the ADA, the government will look to purchase upto 250 MCAs when its done and ready -- not just as a replacement to the MiG-27s and Jaguars, but to complement the MMRCA fleet that will hopefully be half-inducted by then.
Developing the Countries Next Generation Fighter Aircraft

Recently when Requirements of MCA now re-named to NGFA (Next Generation Fighter Aircraft) by Indian Air force was made public in section of media , IAF clear dedicates what it wants for NGFA and seems to leave very little room for developers ADE and other DRDO labs . IAF seems will not compromise on the aircrafts capabilities from the start.

For years NGFA was rumored to be a strike aircraft with secondary role of Air defence capabilities. Now IAF wants a fully multirole Aircraft with almost all the technology which only a 5TH Generation Aircraft like Pak-Fa which India is partnered with Russia for its development will have ,India’s contribution to Pak-Fa is limited to sub-system of it avionics and its core software very similar work which was done with Sukhoi-Su30 MKI. Other then Avionics which can be further developed from Tejas MK-II platform they are tones of other things which NGFA will need to make it truly a 5TH Generation Aircraft .

IAF seems to be clear that it wants most of the Avionics and Engine for NGFA to be indigenous, Specially the AESA Radar; it seems IAF will not settle for AESA which has been developed by LRDE for Tejas Mk-II, it want to be more sophisticated then the Current AESA technology what LDRE is working on and better Avionics and Self-defence systems for the aircraft which will take lot of time unless similar Pak-Fa Avionics package is chosen.

The Kaveri-Snecma Engine based on core of M-88 has been seen has the possible engine which will power NGFA, Details of this engine is still not clear and what level of Technology French will bring is also crucial, GTRE failed to develop current Kaveri engine in time to power Tejas Combat aircraft .The new engine should be based on consultation with IAF to avoid future disappointments and should be ready in time to power NGFA which will have a tech demonstrator, three prototype vehicles and two production jets . No intermediate Engine has been sought, Kaveri-II have to be ready in time for NGFA to make its first flight.

Stealthy Airframe Requirements seems to have thrown out any DRDO’s plans of having Aircraft with low Stealth characters, it wants Stealthy Airframe from the start and Current level of technology in India does not have such high end materials, composites and radar observing airframe materials and paints. Wind-tunnel model which was displayed at Aero India 2009 of MCA will need designs changes to meet IAF’s demand of full Stealthy Airframe, while wind tunnel model seemed like Aircraft with Stealth features but not fully stealth aircraft.

Time frame set by ADA is again over ambitious. ADA plans to have the first test flight of the NGFA by 7-8 years, once go head is given which may come by end of 2010, this is simply not possible since most of the technology required for it is still not in pipeline, since various Labs will be working on it any delays by any Lab will effect the schedule flight plan and again it will look similar way which LCA was made to go.

Consultancy and joint development of various systems should be considered to meet the deadline for NGFA’s first flight; Aircraft should be developed with possible export market in mind. To give air forces around the world a cheap and high technology 5TH Generation fighter which can compete with American and Chinese aircrafts in future.
3. Is LCA-Tejas capable of continuing in squadron service until 2050 and meet all IAF requirements?
WELL before you ask that question. Answer me this how long do you think the Su-30 MKI can meet all of the IAF requirements.
Because that's exactly how long the Tejas will operate as well. Tejas MK-II is a state of the art aircraft. MK-I leaves much to desired in terms of Avionics and engine trust, yes. But None the less its still a very advance plane for a number of other reasons.

And as long as the IAF has a use for 4.5 generation Aircraft. Like the MKI, MMRCA etc. They will also have a need and use for the 4.5 generation Tejas Mk-II or greater.

The Tejas is not sub-standard in anyway, I defending it in a national sense but from a rational sense.
And despite what others may tell you about Why the Tejas is no good. None of them will give you a single legitimate reason.
And i can name a number of reasons for why the Tejas is Unique state of the art aircraft, With only one other similar plan in the world(SAAB grphen).

The only two valid reasons that may detract from the tejas are

1,)the existence of UACV's. (unmanned aerial Combat vehicles)

Well while it may be true, that UCAV's exist that can perform bombing missions. How confident are you to turn over an entire battlefield role to UAV's. U need diversity and need Pilots alongside operators.

And Planes like the Tejas are Multi-role. That's something the UACV's still cant do.

So there is still a role the Tejas can fill in the IAF . That applies to a lot of aircraft not just the Tejas.

2.) Older design.
I must be honest, The Tejas was designed with the 90's mind set. Arguably there have been a huge number of changes to said design over the years. The aircraft made of strong but light carbon fiber, They way they built it to use less bolts, so that the plane can be built faster cheaper and weigh less as well. Are all very advanced things.

And while the Tejas has managed to add on all the improvments in modern technology over the years, like the AESA radar , Trust vectoring, super Cruise. Helmet mounted displays. Etc

They have yet to incorporate one key evolution in air combat, Low radar observable design. This is not exactly stealth but something that make your plane harder to detect.
This is exceptionally important as in today's air-combat filled with BVR engagements, detecting your enemy before he detects you becomes exceedingly important

while the Tejas being the world smallest lightest combat aircraft as well as its Carbon fiber alloy airframe. Help's keep its RCS lower than other aircraft. One has to consider more could have been done .

But the less RCS you want the more you pay. So there is a cost effectiveness factor you have to consider.

You asked how long the Tejas can Serve. well the life span of the MKI was 30 years. So i think we can expect some where between 15-25 years of service for the tejas.

vijayvenkatramani

I understand now that MCA/NGFA is not a replacement for the LCA as they are completely two different types/class of aircraft for different types of roles.

But the points I raise below is still valid....

1. I m not a LCA-Tejas skeptic
2. As a hardworking tax-payer, I want the Indian Armed Forces (IAF) to get the biggest bang for the buck.
3. Hence my question regarding longevity of LCA-Tejas in IAF squadron service was more related to Return on Investment on taxpayers money already spent on designing and developing the LCA-Tejas. (Replacement for the LCA-Tejas beyond 2035 is still a question mark)
4. Once again my question regarding the expected turnaround time in developing the MCA/NGFA, their budget at the same time meeting all IAF requirements (expected number of years in squadron service) was all centered around IAF getting the biggest bang for the buck

chackojoseph

Defence Analyst
Longivity should be 30 + years. MCA development timelines are being debated, Hence no answer.

gogbot

But the points I raise below is still valid....

1. I m not a LCA-Tejas skeptic
2. As a hardworking tax-payer, I want the Indian Armed Forces (IAF) to get the biggest bang for the buck.
3. Hence my question regarding longevity of LCA-Tejas in IAF squadron service was more related to Return on Investment on taxpayers money already spent on designing and developing the LCA-Tejas. (Replacement for the LCA-Tejas beyond 2035 is still a question mark)
4. Once again my question regarding the expected turnaround time in developing the MCA/NGFA, their budget at the same time meeting all IAF requirements (expected number of years in squadron service) was all centered around IAF getting the biggest bang for the buck
Well for starters the questions you are asking , require answers far to detailed for any one not realted to the IAF planning committee of the DRDO to even answer.
I dont know about any one else, but i cant answer stuff like that, nothing i have come across even details something that far down.
All you have to do is assume the people making these decisions know what they are doing.

But i can tell you what i know.

The original project cost, incidentally, was estimated to be only Rs 560 crore. The government so far has sanctioned Rs 5,489.78 crore for the development of LCA technology

Rs 5,489.78 crore which translates to about 1.2 billion dollars(depending on the exchange rate)

Recently however

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/On-for-27-yrs-LCA-project-gets-Rs-8000-crore-more/articleshow/5529518.cms

BANGALORE
: What Tejas wants, Tejas gets. The much-delayed Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) programme will get an additional funding of Rs 8,000 crore.

Tejas, India’s effort at building an indigenous trainer — in the making since 1983 — will obtain initial operational clearance by the year-end. The government had spent Rs 4,800 crore on the LCA programme till 2009-end.
Most Of this money is for the AESA Radar and the development of the GTRE/Schema Kaveri GTX mk-2

Now so you put this spending in perspective, here is some development costs for other planes.

Rafael- 40 billion pounds over 20 years

The total programme cost, as of 2008, is around €39.6 billion, which translates to a unit programme cost of approximately €138.5 million. The unit flyaway price as of 2008 is €64 million for C version (Air Force), and €70 million for the Navy version.
Actually i made a very detailed post on this once. Hope you dont mind reading that.

http://www.***********/forums/india-defence/38132-tejas-lca-setting-record-straight.html#post537459

If you read most of my posts on that thread you will find a decent amount of info on everything about the Tejas.

I am guessing you know most of the capabilities of the Tejas. I can tell you right now, you wont find another fighter aircraft with such capabilities for just 25 million dollars.

There isn't a most cost effective single engine plane out there. The only exception to this would be the F-35 II which sufferers a whole new level of capabilities.

The Tejas can hold its own and even win against other single engine aircraft like the . SAAB Griphen, Dassault Mirrage , F-16 , J-10 etc.

And none of those apart from the J-10 cost less then 40 million. And the Tejas has more capabilities then most of them there.
None of those planes uses an advanced engine like the EJ-2000, the Tejas does, And still costs half as much an can be built in half the time.

It also features Negative RSS for maneuverability like the griphen and F-16. this is something teh J-10 does not have.

for 25 million you get a lot.

as far NGFA or MCA , there is no Time frame as of yet, Lessons learned from Unnecessary criticism to LCA hasl led them to only announce things when they have something to show.

So far they have hinted at a prototype sometime between 2020-2022

nirmal

Country flag
None of those planes uses an advanced engine like the EJ-2000, the Tejas does, And still costs half as much an can be built in half the time.
Does Tejas use EJ-2000 or GE404IN20 ?
I think it's GE404!!

gogbot

Does Tejas use EJ-2000 or GE404IN20 ?
I think it's GE404!!

Eurojet in fray to power LCA MK-II

By Sangeeta Saxena Published :February 2010

New Delhi. India’s Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is a young aircraft and the European EJ200 is a young engine. “You can’t marry your young daughter to an old man,” quipped Managing Director Hartmut J Tenter of the Munich-based Eurojet Turbo GmbH.

On a visit to New Delhi as a member of German President Horst Koehler delegation early February, Tenter set on to do his business – increasing the Indo-German business partnership through transfer of the latest German technology, investment and building long-term viable partnerships.

The suave MD of the Munichbased company was clear that Eurojet would be happy to invest in India although it would prefer to have a bigger stake in any joint venture with an Indian company, more than the 26 per cent allowed at present to foreign companies. The investment could even be 100 percent, depending upon the project availability and viability, he told India Strategic in an interview.

India has sought bids from the Eurojet Turbo GmbH and the US General Electric Co to supply an engine for Tejas, the country’s first light combat aircraft, after an almost two-decade effort to develop a local version has failed to deliver a sufficiently powerful engine.

GE, whose 414 Mark-II powers the F/A 18 E/F Super Hornet, has offered that “mature” engine with some upgrades as required. It is also going to be the engine for Swedish Gripen if that aircraft is selected by IAF.

Mr Tenter says though – without naming it – that the engine in competition has reached its peak while the Eurojet EJ 200 is a “formidable baby” with tremendous development scope in the future. At present, this engine provides the power for the multi-role capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon.

The design of the engine allows for maximum availability and minimum operating costs throughout the life of the Eurofighter weapon system.

Both the Eurofighter and Super Hornet are in the six-corner fray for the IAF’s tender for 126-plus aircraft, and the choice of engine for the Tejas LCA, or vice versa, could prove to be a decisive factor in the overall selection.

According to Mr Tenter, talks with India’s Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) were progressing and that all the required submissions had been made.

The EJ200 engine is the latest generation military turbofan engine in the 20,000 lbf thrust class.

“It is designed to fulfil the most demanding requirements of a fighter aircraft, in particular the Eurofighter Typhoon. The EJ200’s advanced technology supersedes that of its competitors, delivering high thrustto- weight ratio with a simple engine architecture.”

The EJ200 is a two-spool turbobased fan with modular design. The wide-chord fan with integrally bladed discs (blisks) is light and aerodynamically efficient and possesses high levels of resistance to foreign object damage. The advanced aerodynamics employed in the fan allows optimum operation without the need for inlet guide vanes.

ADA Director P S Subramanyam said at the recent Second National Seminar on Aerospace Technologies (N-SAT.2) held by India Strategic that the Indian scientists were looking at the project in terms of the technology and capability and future upgrade potential.

Mr Tenter says that he can make a promise in that regard: If India chose EJ200, “Eurojet would enter a minimum of 40 years dependable relationship akin to an Indian marriage,” with further growth potential.

There should be no restrictions on sharing the best of technologies, and that, he pointed out, was an assurance from countries participating in the Eurojet programme, namely, Avio (Italy), ITP (Spain), MTU Aero Engines (Germany) and Rolls-Royce (UK).

Eurojet, which had made available sophisticated data on the EJ200 to the ADA, has offered to transfer all technology — including the key core technology — on the engine to India. The engine will eventually be manufactured in India.

The company’s responsibilities include the management of development, support and export of the new generation EJ200 powerplant and it operates out of its headquarters in Hallbergmoos, (near Munich airport). Eurojet is also working on developing thrustvectoring technologies to enhance the capabilities of whatever aircraft the engine is fitted into.

India’s Aeronautical Development Agency, which is developing the LCA, had floated a Request for Proposals (RfP) to GE and Eurojet last year. The selection process should complete shortly.

The delay in the indigenous engine availability is what has driven the Indian Government to go for an alternative engine. Tejas is a tailless single-engine supersonic fighter with delta wings — shaped like a triangle — which uses fly-by-wire technology that enables pilots to control the plane electronically through onboard computers. The plane is undergoing development trials with a GE 404 engine, but this falls short of the thrust it requires in operational conditions.

Mr Tenter explained that EJ200 is physically smaller with an improved weight to thrust ratio. If you fly an aircraft powered with it, you will concentrate on the mission and the engine just needs to be pushed literally and simply like an accelerator in the car, he emphasized.

“It is not only fuel efficient and environment friendly due to lesser emission rate, but also has the range to fly.” He reiterated that the EJ200 engine needs minimum changes – every engine will need some to fit an airframe it was not designed for – and will not delay the LCA programme.

For the Tejas to be able to take in an EJ200, the engine will need “minor” modifications. These include some changing to the mounting assembly, a different hydraulic pump and an additional generator pack for starters. In addition, engine interfaces might need changes depending on how the LCA is configured.

Discussions between the Indian government and Eurojet are currently at the Q&A phase – a period post- RFP, where the buyer smoothens out details and calls upon the vendor to explain, clarify or expand anything put forth in their technical bid. Eurojet received a set of 32 such questions from the ADA out of which 26 are technical, while the remaining six pertain to transfer of technology issues.

Mr Tenter believes that the tailor-made EJ200 for the LCA can be ready – certfication tests and all – in about two years flat. Significantly, he asserted that the EJ200’s installation will require absolutely no airframe and intake changes to the LCA.

He also said that Eurojet’s LCA campaign was different than that of the Eurofighter’s MRCA campaign.

“When we demonstrated the engine’s performance to a team from HAL and DRDO in November last year, they were amazed that there was no thrust droop in the EJ200. The engine is designed to compensate for thrust droop,” says Tenter, confident that this unique selling point makes the Eurojet a frontrunner in the race for future.

Eurojet says that its five-stage compression engine, the only one of its kind in the world, had the capability to meet IAF’s requirement of 100kN power, and that technologically, it supersedes its competitors in delivering the highest thrust-to-weight ratio with the most simple engine architecture.

It delivers highest reliability levels and provides power for multimission capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon. The design and technology of the engine allows for a maximum availability and minimum operating costs throughout the life of the aircraft.

Mr Tenter said that EJ200 engine has been designed with a special focus on reliability and maintenance costs. The engine systems’ reliability, together with the engine components’ long life technology and the intelligent life management system allow for a maximum availability and minimum operating costs.

“Ours is the most modern engine and we have already delivered 650 to six nations, including four core Eurofighter partner countries. In addition to that, we have also supplied engines to Saudi Arabia and Austria.”

According to Mr Tenter, with all these countries, Eurojet has forged a deep partnership, and this is what it will seek with India. “I do not believe in making promises, but in a commitment,” he said, adding, “we have given comprehensive details to ADA about how we will go about our partnership with them. It is true that partnership means effort, but if you make the effort, you get better results. And when I use the word partnership, I am doing so fully aware that it implies working together on problems and ironing them out… removing the chinks, so to speak.”

Tenter’s roadmap stipulates jointdevelopment and not just jointproduction. Eurojet is already working on thrust-vectoring and would be able to put the thrust vectoring nozzle when required.

They have also done feasibility study for high-altitude flying, and that is very important factor. “You don’t want to have the limitation of low-level sorties only.” Eurofighter could be the highest-flying aircraft among the six MRCAs in the IAF competition.

Mr Tentor said that Eurojet had a “very successful cockpit simulator”already. Among the other developments, it is working on improved life cycle cost, less fuel burn and enhanced operational capability.

In terms of production, Eurojet currently delivers nine to 10 engines in a month, but has the capacity to do 15. Hence, it is very well placed to meet the Indian requirement when it comes. More so as he says, “If we win the contract, we will start with 30 per cent of production in India and eventually move onto 50 per cent being done here.”

The spirit of winning and confidence in a better product is Eurojet,s mantra, to begin this affair with India. It will be a win-win situation for both the buyer and the seller, assures a smiling Tenter.

© India Strategic

http://indiastrategic.in/topstories488.htm
There will only be 40 Tejas Mk-I using the GE-404IN20

While there could be well over a 100 MK-II using the EJ-2000 with TVC and Super-cruise.

But reagardless my point was that even with the Ej-2000 installed the plane would only cost ~25 million dollars.

If the only other contender for the engine the GE 414 Mark-II, which is cheaper but provides more trust. So the price of the Plane will come down below 24 million, And have faster acceleration at the same time.

Both engines have their positives, But the EJ-2000 provides the most positives, so in the scenario it is picked in the next 2 months. Tejas becomes one of the most cost effective yet capable plane, for ~25 million

pankaj nema

Country flag
Guys No news about the LSP 3 which was to carry the MMR.

also is it final that EJ 200 IS THE NEW ENGINE or there is some more twist in the tale.

will there be an LSP 4 AND have the A2A and A2G Armaments finalised.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
LCA-Tejas has completed 1280 Test Flights successfully. (21-Jan-10).

LCA has completed 1280 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-129,PV3-191,LSP1-54,LSP2-125,PV5-1).
191st flight of Tejas PV3 occurred on 20th Jan 10.
LCA-Tejas has completed 1301 Test Flights successfully. (24-Feb-10).

LCA has completed 1301 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-129,PV3-194,LSP1-54,LSP2-138,PV5-6).
LCA-Tejas has completed 1312 Test Flights successfully. (26-Feb-10).

LCA has completed 1312 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-130,PV3-197,LSP1-55,LSP2-142,PV5-8).
11 test flights in two days. Looks like test flight on gas once again.

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
Good news guys
Kaveri Snecma tie up finalised
Agreement to be signed in April during Sarkozy's visit.

Time frame : 5 years for new Kaveri engine for Lca Mk 2

gogbot

Good news guys

I dont believe that will be the case, Maybe for the MK-3 or the LCA-N

There wont be enough time to induct the LCA-MK-II and test the engine at the same time

We will still be using the EJ-2000 or Ge 414

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Good news guys

Pankaj it's a good news can you please provide the source for this

Agantrope

I dont believe that will be the case, Maybe for the MK-3 or the LCA-N

There wont be enough time to induct the LCA-MK-II and test the engine at the same time

We will still be using the EJ-2000 or Ge 414
DRDO-Snecma engine will power Tejas after the AJ/GE engines completion, ie from the 140th flight

rakesh

India should speed up this program.Look,JF-17 project they are now ready to export these bird.

Rage

DFI TEAM
There is PV1, PV2, PV3 and then PV5.....what happened to PV4?
Very much in existence. The PV-4 was originally planned to be a single-seat, prototype vehicle for a naval variant, but was later reconfigured and produced as a second production variant, with an aerial refuelling probe, improved avionics and EL/M-2052 AESA radar. PV-4 has been replaced as the naval prototype by two prototypes designated NP-1 and NP-2: confusingly, these are respectively the two-seat and single-seat variants. PV-4 was anticipated, with PV-5 being the trainer prototype, to be the final baseline model for full fledged production aircraft, whereas PV-3 has effectively become the baseline for pre-production LSP aircraft.

Here, by the way, are some pictures of the Kaveri engine:

The 'Tarang' Radar Warning Receiver EW-countermeasure:

And the GTS starter for the LCA:

Last edited:

biju633

Awesome pictures ....I am eagerly waiting for LSP 3 to fly . Any update guys when it's going to fly?

gogbot

India should speed up this program.Look,JF-17 project they are now ready to export these bird.
Oh come on,

the reason the JF-17 is ready is because the plane is built around compromise.

It uses a foreign engine, And that to one that is under powered. Leaving the plane with a trust to weight ratio of 0.99

Its avionics are not up to scratch so they have to buy new ones from the french.

The plane is mainly been manufactured in China, A nation that has shown no interest in the plane.

It doesn't even have a HMD .

and despite having the plane supposedly ready and developed a few years ago they have only this year inducted their first squadron

The first JF-17 squadron was officially inducted into the PAF fighter fleet on 18 February 2010 with a strength of 14 fighters. JF-17 will take part in the PAF's High Mark 2010 exercise.[95] [96] These aircraft saw service in the anti-terrorist operation in South Waziristan, during which they were evaluated with weaponry of different types.
In all fairness if our airforce just wanted any plan DRDO managed to make.. We would have had at least 2 squadrons o Mk-1's by now, all had to do was compromise completely. Even now the IAF still has Issues with the MK-1 and are only inducting the Mk-1 as a compromise.
The IAF is not going to induct a plane in mass unless it meets the same requirements set out for the MMRCA . Its as simple as that.

And i have yet to see anyone but Pakistan even buy these fighters from China

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles