What military equipment would YOU like to see in the Indian Armed Forces

TrueSpirit

Re: What military equipment would YOU like to see in the Indian Armed

Dada, why do you think we had so many causalities in Kargil? We didn't have enough long range weapons to take out enemy positions from standoff distance?
AFAIK, it was a combination of multiple factors: lack of precision-standoff weapons, limited surveillance capabilities on those heights, enemy positions being constantly replenished by intact supply lines/reinforcements, limited acclimatization for some units combined with head-on frontal assaults, lack of relevant force-multipliers, not having quality Weapon-locating-Radars, poor intelligence regarding enemy strength, staying power & firepower.....& so on. Kunal Sir can elaborate on that..

Anyway, 10:1 & even 20:1 is not an unusual combat ratio (offensive force : defenders) at those altitudes for dislodging the occupiers.

There is popular notion among military circles: In high-altitude warfare, the one occupying the higher post (i.e. the defender) holds all the advantage.

All that the defender needs is 1 HMG/MMG (with enough ammunition, of course), a suitable bunker & a trained dog to keep the offensive at bay for weeks.

I saw the mortal remains of few young officers & most of them had shrapnel injuries from grenades' & mortars.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Direct frontal assault without arty cover or Air in first few weeks of War..

Lack of proper information on enemy positions..

Enemy Sniper fire and Ambushes with heavy weapon such as HMG and 107mm Rockets / 81/120mm mortars..

================

After some time, IA planned to conduct frontal and stealth attacks in Night, While during day Arty, Motar, MRLS, Snipers & ATGM such as Millans would engage enemy positions..

Mir-2000 1000lb LGB were decisive at last..

Dada, why do you think we had so many causalities in Kargil? We didn't have enough long range weapons to take out enemy positions from standoff distance?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

I want to see HAL Tejas in the Army, yes the Indian Army- Army Avition :sad::truestory:

dealwithit

I think army needs boost...
what is the use of equipment .. If our government asks to stay your weaponry low even if enemy comes into our land or kills your fellow soldier..

Our army chains should be removed..

For every army personal Scopes should be provided. and Armour should be good..

astrafan

I would like something like this to accompany infantry which are tasked with retaking peaks...
"
120mm LR mortar can really devastate enemy bunkers dug in atop mountains...

Wish we had them during Kargil..."

India has bulk of what's required for this already!
Hull of Vijayanta and Arjun tanks.
Make minor changes to carry 6+1 crew and mission-specific turret, i.e.: heavy machine gun/autocannon or small calibre arty.
Since it would weigh a lot less and speed requirement isn't as critical, a smaller, locally sourced engine would be sufficient.
India needs a few variants of good autocannon/chain guns, and with the right ammo., destroys quite a bit.
and speaking of engines, why is it so difficult to source TATA or AL propulsion system for MBTs?
Any design yet for a hybrid drive system... would make propulsion system a Lot more flexible.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

I would like something like this to accompany infantry which are tasked with retaking peaks...
"

Wish we had them during Kargil..."

India has bulk of what's required for this already!
Hull of Vijayanta and Arjun tanks.
Make minor changes to carry 6+1 crew and mission-specific turret, i.e.: heavy machine gun/autocannon or small calibre arty.
Since it would weigh a lot less and speed requirement isn't as critical, a smaller, locally sourced engine would be sufficient.
India needs a few variants of good autocannon/chain guns, and with the right ammo., destroys quite a bit.
and speaking of engines, why is it so difficult to source TATA or AL propulsion system for MBTs?
Any design yet for a hybrid drive system... would make propulsion system a Lot more flexible.
AMOS - Advanced Mortar System

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

LR FMK-2 120mm

Notes: This is an Argentine heavy mortar that is light enough to be manpacked if necessary. It is designed for use at battalion and above, for fire support of infantry and armor. The mortar may be attached to a two-wheeled carriage to be towed by a light vehicle.

Argentine Mortars

astrafan

Thanks WGE, that's a very informative site.

On the LoC front;
1. No more foot soldier patrols.
2. UAVs and remote sensing surveillance, these are available - off the shelf. India owns the stretch of land she patrols, i.e.: great opportunity to test out various control and guidance systems. Equipment flies out and come back completely in its own.
3. No more rifle fire exchange.... miniature missiles only. Heck, might even shoot these every now and then to test its accuracy, at non-lethal targets.. and if it fails and kills the enemy, too bad, I guess !
4. An Indian version of the American robot mule - incredibly beautiful invention, IMO !

jmj_overlord

i wish soldiers had more upgraded light weight uniforms with coms with latest and reliable assault rifles...also more surveillance equipment and drones for surveillance

shayanjameel08

Your concept is very much innovative and impressive as well"¦"¦..

Neil

Country flag

Lockheed EC-130

The EC-130E Airborne Battlefield Command and Control Center (ABCCC)

yeah i know fanboys stuff... but liked the concept... so ,

Lockheed EC-130 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@ Kunal Biswas Ray...:: sir do we have a dedicated Psychological and Information Operations center with army ... ??

Blackwater

SilentKiller

Country flag

Not much in its favor as one must have standardization, lowers costs etc.
we have C-17 in heavy, IL-76 in Medium-Heavy, C-130 in Medium and right now IL-32(to be replaced by Joint india-Russ plane) in light transport roles.
So A 400 doesn't looks to fit in our needs, we can have more C-130's and C-17 and C-130 being deployed for airforce in 40-50 in number (Special and Command and control) and 20 in Navy fro medium range role and force multiplier to P-8 and some day few C-130 given to army for gun ship roles (say 10-15)

SilentKiller

Country flag

Wish we had them during Kargil...
I think india has now one such vehicle.
120 MM mortar vehicle based on BMP-2S and i believe 26 of them, might be incorrect be number.
correct me if wrong.

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned

from my side im happy wth the current arm buying of India. but i have been demanding to induct at leats '12' Mig35/Mig29VOT every year, until induction of Rafale starts......

IAF has over 40 years of experience on Mig29s, full infrastructure is already present, with onging buying of Mig29k for the newest AC of India too. its offered at a very low price, hardly at around $60million each, as compare to $20billion+ deal for 126 Rafale, and it can be put on the border areas straight away at the time of induction, as full training on it is already there in IAF, while working along with Mig29SMT.....

MRCA/Rafale was expected to be inducted by 2012 in beginning while if we add 3-4 years training required also, you won't be able to use Rafale as a front line aircraft even by 2020, even if this deal is finalized by 2014, and it then its production starts by 2017, which is very less likely at present too. while there is a news that this deal may finally be cancelled too, as even 5th gen PAK FA will have arrived by this date, at a lesser price than Rafale too :toilet:

i mean, do whatever you want, talk as long as you wish, but we want at least '12' 4.5 generation aircraft every year, at least until LCA mk2 comes in production by 2017/18. and there is no alternative of Mig35 in this regard, which has many 5th generation technologies too.......

russia plan for 37 Mig35 while i would favor a deal of 48 Mig35 to be delivered by 2017/18, when LCA mk2 will come in production :thumb:

LUKHOVITSY (Moscow region), 31 May. Russian aircraft Corporation MiG (RSK) "in June, plans to sign a contact for the supply of RUSSIAN AIR FORCE MiG-35, said Director General of MiG RSK Sergey Korotkov.

"In June we expect to sign a contract with the Defense Ministry for the construction of the MiG-35 for the Russian air force. 24 combat vehicles are planning to in the near future, a total of 37 MiG-35 to the Russian army, "said Korotkov.

The MiG-35 is a multi-role Russian fighter generation "4 +" based on the MiG-29. The weapons include missiles air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles and RADAR, Zhuk-a. This system allows the fighter to attack multiple targets, as well as provides protection against jamming effect of the enemy. Combat fighter figures bring its fifth-generation models.

РСК "МиГ" в июне подпишет контакт с Минобороны на поставку МиГ-35 | РИА Новости

Last edited:

ramakrishna

The MINI-BERYL 96 close assault rifle incorporates an underslung grenade launcher capable of stopping a lightly armoured vehicle in its tracks at 150m.

The MINI-BERYL 96 is a compact close assault rifle that excels in tight, close quarter firefights.

for more Assault Rifles images visit here

These assault riffles are more powerful than what we have now ... I wish IA get these kind of riffles which will surely strengthens ....

Blackwater

Not much in its favor as one must have standardization, lowers costs etc.
we have C-17 in heavy, IL-76 in Medium-Heavy, C-130 in Medium and right now IL-32(to be replaced by Joint india-Russ plane) in light transport roles.
So A 400 doesn't looks to fit in our needs, we can have more C-130's and C-17 and C-130 being deployed for airforce in 40-50 in number (Special and Command and control) and 20 in Navy fro medium range role and force multiplier to P-8 and some day few C-130 given to army for gun ship roles (say 10-15)
Boeing to cease C-17 production by 2016...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles