India's Air Defense System and its Capabilities

Galaxy

Country flag
Stone laid for Akash Missile building

HYDERABAD: Union minister of state for defence M M Pallam Raju laid the foundation stone for Akash project building at Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) in Medak district on Friday.

The company bagged an order worth Rs 14,000 crore for supply of Akash Weapon system to the Indian Army.

Speaking on the occasion, Pallam Raju emphasised the need for timely delivery of the products to the Army.

Chairman and managing director of BDL Maj Gen Ravi Khetarpal said that setting up facilities for Akash missiles was one of the major steps of BDL. PK Mishra, joint secretary (missile systems) and others were present.

Stone laid for Akash Missile building - southindia - Hyderabad - ibnlive

JBH22

Check this out

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
We should use those T72 tanks to modify them to use Akash missile and even make them as Unmanned vehicle f or mines clearing, may be even placing CLGM missiles on it, in multi firing mode.

Defcon 1

Country flag
We should use those T72 tanks to modify them to use Akash missile and even make them as Unmanned vehicle f or mines clearing, may be even placing CLGM missiles on it, in multi firing mode.
this is a joke, right???

Defcon 1

Country flag
yeah but that is not a tank, there is a difference between tanks and such vehicles......tanks are made for the heat of the battle, they have armour, gunner, mine sweeper, god knows what.......these SAM vehicles operate under the cover of ground forces so they don't require such features....i won't be easy to modify a tank into this, and moreover i don't think it is useful......we are already building launchers for akash.......

Defcon 1

Country flag
No one is replacing T-72s. The T-90s will continue to rule the roost.

Even if we say the Arjuns will replace T-72s it won't happen economically or even time permitting. Production is less than 50 a year. Even if we assume after 10 years of nonstop production we will have only 500 Arjuns by 2020. There are 2400 T-72s that need replacing. We all know the Arjun production line will be idle for 3 more years until Mk2 clears all trials and even that is 2014 if you are optimistic. 124 Arjun Mk2s will take 3 years after that and that's 2017. Another 248 possible orders will push the date to 2022-23 for 372 Arjun Mk2s. But we have to start producing FMBT as well. Geez-louise let's be realistic.

1650 T-90s later we will still have around 1000 odd T-72s that will need replacing. So, the Army is making better decisions. They will induct the T-90, upgrade T-72s that still have life in them for use until 2025-30. And then start building FMBT for replacement of old T-72s which were upgraded like "yesterday." Considering the FMBT will be in the same weight class as the T-90, it will possibly have the same advantages as the T-90 while covering up most of it's disadvantages. So, everybody is happy including DRDO.
except for that arjun is nowhere to its envisaged role...

p2prada

It is cheaper to build a new hull for Akash rather than modify existing T-72s. This will give the Akash greater life, or else IAF and IA will have to find a replacement for Akash platforms in another 10 years. The hull won't live forever.

The unmanned vehicle is based on a BMP-2, not T-72.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
yeah but that is not a tank, there is a difference between tanks and such vehicles......tanks are made for the heat of the battle, they have armour, gunner, mine sweeper, god knows what.......these SAM vehicles operate under the cover of ground forces so they don't require such features....i won't be easy to modify a tank into this, and moreover i don't think it is useful......we are already building launchers for akash.......
I don't think you Understand what he meant..

He is talking abt the Chassis, Army like T-72 chassis for Mounting Akash and other hardware..

Look at the pic he provided, Its a T-72 chassis with Six Road wheels and Internal fuel tanks..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That`s a good Idea, T-72 have mine plowing equipment for the role..

Defcon 1

Country flag
I don't think you Understand what he meant..

He is talking abt the Chassis, Army like T-72 chassis for Mounting Akash and other hardware..

Look at the pic he provided, Its a T-72 chassis with Six Road wheels and Internal fuel tanks..
yeah, but we are already building dedicated launchers for akash, why scrap an ongoing project and go for a new one????

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
yeah, but we are already building dedicated launchers for akash, why scrap an ongoing project and go for a new one????
They are not making Dedicated Chassis, Its Older T-72 chassis being used..

T-72 Look at the chassis ( The Vehicle on which turret is placed )

Look at Akash Chasis

Is it still difficult to understand..

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
:frusty:

The Akash system meant for the Army uses the T-72 tank chassis for its launcher and radar vehicles.
Integrated Guided Missile Development Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
honestly i dont't......
why scrap an ongoing project on akash launchers and mount them T72 just because it looks good?
it was because IA has got 1925 T72 MBT, once Arjun and T90 come in its place either we have to find a role for these tanks or we have sold it as scrap or use it for target practice. Why not use it for other roles when engine has life left.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
honestly i dont't......
why scrap an ongoing project on akash launchers and mount them T72 just because it looks good?
In army nothing is selected on its looks but how practical it is, Here Why:

BMP-2 based Ones are too heavy and ground pressure is too much causing it to sink in sand..
That`s why T-72M1 Chassis is used as it have wider tracks and low ground pressure..

Airforce wanted its version on TATA trucks ( Wheeled )

Also a Note that BMP-2 based ones are rejected long time back, T-72 based Akash have already tested and Orders are on.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am sorry, the air force version of akash uses dedicated launchers......although i don't think modyfying tanks currently in the service will be a good idea, if needed, we should directly import the T72 chassis......
you want this to be used in IA.

IA dont think so they need a vehicle which can keep pace with tanks and provide cover from air attack. now lets come back to arjun tank.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles