Turkish defense industry news updates

rodeo

Country flag
Does Turkey have the IPR of the Focal Plannar Arrays that go into these IIR sensors?
This is again from "defencehub.live" TFX thread. I added the blue part. To admit, I'm not really familiar with the mentioned technologies here. I'm learning a lot :)

Anyone got a good source for IR FPA semiconductors ?
"Metu(Middle East Technical University) is the only producer till now for fpa in turkey ..they produce IR fpa with qwip tech and gave the licence to aselsan .. its already in mass production since 2014 .. also they produce non cooled sensors with vox and arsenide tech .. these are the already serially produced fpa .. aselsan produced the prototype of cooled mct tech and it supposed to be serially produced in short time (on board tests were started last year) ... Also studies continue for more advanced super lattice detectors for tfx program"

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Ramjet work of Turkey. We're developing a BVR AA missile called GÖKHAN. It will be similar to Meteor missile. Tübitak-SAGE has been working on this for a while and we have working RAMJET engine prototype. On May 13, 2021 Tübitak CEO announced that they fired this engine more than 100 times and it's going smooth so far.
Sounds quite similar to our (Solid Fueled Ducted Ramjet) SFDR project, its been flight tested a couple of times. Has Turkey developed its own BVRAAM based on normal solid-fuel rocket technology yet? Or is the plan to leapfrog directly to ramjet powered BVRAAM? Has it been flight tested yet or is it being ground tested right now? I assume its going to have an AESA seeker? What kind of range is planned for it?

rodeo

Country flag
The project GÖKTUĞ focuses on AA missiles. This wiki page gives some detail about the project,
Latest tested(fired from F-16, hit a target drone) AA missile GÖKDOĞAN has a range of 65km but the CEO said that can be easily extended to over 100km in a later edition. I'm sorry I don't know about AESA seeker. Maybe I should do some research about it.

rodeo

Country flag

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Hello
I'm from Turkey. If you've been following Turkey's defense sector, you'd know Turkey is developing a fifth-gen fighter too. I find AMCA interesting because it's similar and the timelines of the project is close to ours and I'm trying to learn more about it. If you'll allow me to give a quick info about Turkish TFX,

-It's a multi-role, all-weather, stealth fighter jet developed by TAI and BAE Systems as subcontractor.
-It has a max take off weight of 27.215kg
-length: 21m, wingspan: 14m, height: 6m
-engine: prototypes and the first few squadrons will use F110 engines until national engine is developed.
-timelines:
2023 - roll-out from hangar
2025 - first flight
2028/2029 - first deliveries

If you have questions, please ask. I'm here to learn. It may take a bit time for me to answer, because I might need to do some reading about the questions but nevertheless that's the goal.
(This is a copy of my post in AMCA thread)
First question about TFX : with what engine? Turkey is far from having the technical level and R&D power to study and produce a fighter engine alone.
And... TFX is not a 5th gen. The weapons are under the wings. it's a 4.99 gen at best, according to LM.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
ICBM - Turkey has no direct icbm development program. But we have a space program. ROKETSAN has been developing a micro satellite launching system and been testing the rocket in space. These are the achieved parameters so far,
  • Solid-Propellant Rocket Motor with Thrust Vector-Control feature
  • Aerodynamic hybrid control driven by Thrust Vector Control, and electromechanically controlled propulsion
  • Multiple firings in space by the Liquid-Propellant Rocket Engine
  • Precise orientation control in space environment
  • Inertial Precision Navigation based on national sensors and a national Global Positioning System Receiver
  • Capsule detachment in space
  • Various structural and chemical materials and advanced processing techniques
the rocket is small. 100kg payload to leo. They will attempt launch to orbit in 2023. This rocket when used as a missile will yield over a 3000km range(estimated from the size of the rocket).
But we also have another rocket in development. It is said to have 1500kg payload capacity. This rocket is to be launched in 2028 for Turkey's moon mission. We're aiming to send a lander(or rover) to do a soft landing on the moon. So it wouldn't be entirely true to say we wouldn't have ICBM technology.

SSBN - we don't have any development on this.
ASAT - nope
BMD - this is studied intensely by ROKETSAN and will have a product after we completed our layered HİSAR SAM system.
SCRAMJET - before touching on this I should tell a bit about ramjet work of Turkey. We're developing a BVR AA missile called GÖKHAN. It will be similar to Meteor missile. Tübitak-SAGE has been working on this for a while and we have working RAMJET engine prototype. On May 13, 2021 Tübitak CEO announced that they fired this engine more than 100 times and it's going smooth so far.
As for SCRAMJET both Tübitak and ROKETSAN studying it. They're building the necessary infrastructure. But I'm not sure when we would have an hardware to show for.
With a 25% decrease of turkish money rate since the beginning of the year and inflation rate of 20% I have a big doubt Turkey be able to end all these programs.

rodeo

Country flag
First question about TFX : with what engine? Turkey is far from having the technical level and R&D power to study and produce a fighter engine alone.
And... TFX is not a 5th gen. The weapons are under the wings. it's a 4.99 gen at best, according to LM.
Go to the page 14 and read the flood I posted. I can't waste my time answering the same questions. The engine issue was discussed at length. If you have more questions please ask?(After reading what's been written so far, of course)

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Go to the page 14 and read the flood I posted. I can't waste my time answering the same questions. The engine issue was discussed at length. If you have more questions please ask?(After reading what's been written so far, of course)
Except F110 for prototyp you are without real solution.
It takes decades, strong R&D and full amountvof money to reach the world wide best engine level. It's difficult always now for China. Next may be India, but not until far more years.
It's out for a medium power as Turkey.
A fighter engine, because it needs to be light, to run from -50°C to +50°C, be fuel efficient, to go from idle to full power in a couple of seconds is probably one ot the most complicated object ot fine tune and produce so far. Sorry Bro, but producing an average Helo turbine is only 10 or 15% of the work and skill needed.
I wish Turkey good luck, but I'm sure in 10 years you will be without solution (a labo prototyp with some hours of life span and running in ideal conditions is not a solution).

SavageKing456

Country flag
It takes decades, strong R&D and full amountvof money to reach the world wide best engine level. It's difficult always now for China. Next may be India, but not until far more years.
A fighter engine, because it needs to be light, to run from -50°C to +50°C, be fuel efficient, to go from idle to full power in a couple of seconds is probably one ot the most complicated object ot fine tune and produce so far. Sorry Bro, but producing an average Helo turbine is only 10 or 15% of the work and skill needed.
I wish Turkey good luck, but I'm sure in 10 years you will be without solution (a labo prototyp with some hours of life span and running in ideal conditions is not a solution).
Maybe they tie up with GE for development of gas turbines till then use GE engines in tfx

rodeo

Country flag
We'll pray to God and he will send to us.

rodeo

Country flag
Maybe they tie up with GE for development of gas turbines till then use GE engines in tfx
Two months ago, TEI has signed MoU with GE to produce marine engines in Turkey(LFM2500 engine family).

But for TFX engine it's most likely that we already signed a deal(for the design of the engine) with Ivchenko-Progress. The last post of my flood was about this subject.

Vamsi

Country flag

abingdonboy

Country flag
ICBM
SSBN
ASAT
BMD
SCRAMJET
To name a few. Indian Defence Industry already has active products in all these categories. Turkey doesn't. If we look deeper into it, there might be other areas.
+SSN (not to be pedantic but actually it's a big difference from a SSBN and requires plenty of additional capabilities)

HGV

rodeo

Country flag
Do you have any info about MTOW & Engine of that drone ?
This is from the description section of the Wiki page;

The aircraft has a 5.5+ tons of Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW) while 1500 kg+ of those are composed for its payload. MIUS is equipped with a single turbofan.[1]

According to data shared by the company, the Combat Unmanned Aircraft System (MIUS) will have an operational altitude of 40,000 ft (12,000 m), a take-off weight of 5.5 tons, a payload of 1.5 tons, and an ammunition carrying capacity of 1 ton. While the MIUS-A will be close to supersonic using the Ukrainian AI-25TLT engine, the MIUS-B will be supersonic using the Ukrainian AI-322F engine.[5] & Turkish TEI/TF-6000 engine[6] The MIUS-B will have a 2,5 times more powerful engine, making it significantly different specification wise than the MIUS-A.[7][8] MIUS is expected to launch from the TCG Anadolu LHD without any help of a catapult system.[9] The CEO of Baykar, Selçuk Bayraktar, said that the MIUS is expected to fly in 2023,[1] adding that a jet-powered UAV was a ''12-year-long dream.''[10]

Please go to the wiki page to read it the features and mission description. It's not long.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
+SSN (not to be pedantic but actually it's a big difference from a SSBN and requires plenty of additional capabilities)

HGV
We don't have HGV, though the requisite materials are being researched in India. Once that materials research reaches maturity, we might. Till then, we have SCRAMJET cruise missiles and MaRV equipped Ballistic missiles.

abingdonboy

Country flag
We don't have HGV, though the requisite materials are being researched in India. Once that materials research reaches maturity, we might. Till then, we have SCRAMJET cruise missiles and MaRV equipped Ballistic missiles.
It's something India is actively working on and the HSTDV has proven much of the elements are in place

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Is using a flying testbed a common practice in engine development. I thought engines already have a waiting application to be tested on the air. TS1400 for instance will fly on T625(GOKBEY) helicopter in 2023. Doesn't Kaveri have an application?
For new engines, its a fairly common practice. TS1400 is a helicopter engine, so they can conduct tests in an incremental fashion. Helicopter engines do not always need a testbed.
When TS1400 starts testing on T625, the helicopter will first undergo low-level hover tests and manuever a few feet above the helipad and runway. If anything goes wrong the crash will likely not be fatal at least.
Try doing the same thing with Kaveri on a Tejas LSP and if anything goes wrong, that single engine plane is going down.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles