Third IAF Sukhoi-30MKI goes down near Pune today afternoon, both pilots safe!

pankaj nema

Country flag
This is a standard procedure ie grounding the fleet after a crash

You know guys this is Old news but it is still chilling

Recently I was told by somebody that at the height of tensions with Pakistan and China
in 1987 the Mig 27 fleet which was being inducted after 1982 was grounded for a few weeks
as a precautionary measure of course

It was a big tension for IAF and GOI . Since this is very OLD news it can be forgotten

Imagine war breaking out !!!

Last edited:

p2prada

Yeah. The first crash was because the pilot turned off the FBW by mistake. They have wire gauzed the switch on all MKIs or at least most of them.

This crash, we will see...

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Uptill now its not faulty FBW.

Lets wait for COI report.

Poseidon

Country flag
Defence Ministry surprised over crash of Su-30.

Defence Ministry surprised over crash of Su-30.
Posted: Wed Dec 14 2011, 15:32 hrs New Delhi:

Defence Ministry on Wednesday said it was surprised over the crash of one of its frontline Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircarft, which are the latest and most-advanced war planes in IAF inventory, and ordered a probe into it.

"I am surprised that an aircraft of this type has crashed... We will certainly look into the reasons for this. A Court of Inquiry (CoI) has been order to look into the reasons behind the crash," Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju told reporters here.

The minister was asked to comment on the air crash involving the Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft which happened yesterday near Pune.

The Su-30s fighter aircraft were inducted into the IAF in the late 90s and the advanced 'MKI' version of the planes started being inducted in the early part of the millenium and are considered to be new in service.

The particular aircraft which crashed yesterday was built in the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

The aircraft had taken off from the Lohegaon airbase on a routine mission, presumably developed a technical snag and crashed at Wade Bholai village, about 20 kilometre from Pune. Both the pilots ejected safely.

The jet crashed at 1.30 pm, around 50 minutes after it took off, officials said.

This is the third time a Sukhoi fighter plane crashed since their induction into the IAF.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/defence-ministry-surprised-over-crash-of-su30/887752/

agentperry

tough time for air force personnel. they will be grilled to damn hard over this crash. NAK browne who was maintenance head before iaf chief is equally impotent man. because under him the force lost many of its planes and seriously there were years in past decade where iaf lost equal to one squadron fighter planes

pankaj nema

Country flag
seems saddness comes togather,i just saw somebody's thread about china's antarctic chopper down
Yes April Lyrics you are right

Yesterday an American Helicopter Military crashed in a military base near Washington killing a few US
Military personnel

This 13 December was a bad day for India China and USA

agentperry

Yesterday an American Helicopter Military crashed in a military base near Washington killing a few US
Military personnel

adn advance for pakistan. there jf crashed prior to our planes crashing.

agentperry

Military personnel

adn advance for pakistan. there jf crashed prior to our planes crashing.

AprilLyrics

Military personnel

what?! what...........

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Has anyone been able to establish what was the cause? Some said it was a birdstrike and some said it was the FBW screwed up while others accuse HAL of poor workmanship.

What's the real reason?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I think crashed fighter was russian made, most of the MKIs at Lohegaon are pretty old.

p2prada

Our AA bird is the Canada Goose. What's yours?
Lapwings. Sparrows and Owls as well. Night birds are a problem, they don't like the lights.

I am talking about passenger jets.

For Air force jets it depends on the base, because 70% of the bird hits happen during take off and landing and India is a tropical country with probably 15% of the bird population in the world. It may involve a Kite in Bangalore, a Vulture in the desert. Heck if Ostriches could fly add that to the list too.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Lapwings. Sparrows and Owls as well. Night birds are a problem, they don't like the lights.

I am talking about passenger jets.

For Air force jets it depends on the base, because 70% of the bird hits happen during take off and landing and India is a tropical country with probably 15% of the bird population in the world. It may involve a Kite in Bangalore, a Vulture in the desert. Heck if Ostriches could fly add that to the list too.
Most often it is due to lack of civic infrastructure nearby an airport - I remember in the 1990s, three airports in three cities I have lived in had similar problems - Delhi, Bangalore and Calcutta. The civic authorities did not clean the garbage fast enough/ well enough - leading to massing of scavanger birds near the airports - like vultures, crows, kites etc - which will end up in the turbines of the passenger or military jets during take-off and landing. I am not sure how the situation is now in those airports - but I can foresee similar problems in military airports located near small towns with even less robust civic systems and garbage disposal.

venkat

As per tarmak007 ,it is reported that the a/c went into oscillations. different types of reports are appearing at different places. i read that the pilot lost control of the a/c and they steered the a/c to a place where there are no civilians on the ground and ejected. If FBW fails , in the absence of manual controls there is noway a pilot can steer such a/c... SU-30 is quadruple redundant fly by wire system,even if one channel fails ,there are three more redundant channels to take care....even with all this the a/c could not be controlled means ,there could be a design flaw and if oscillations are true ,then it confirms FBW malfunction... Russians might have given only the do-how for the FBW system and not the KNOW-HOW!!!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: SUKHOI CRASH: Flaws in Russian design or holes in HAL's quality standards? | Crashed fighter was on a maiden 'air test' after servicing |

The Sukhoi (Su-30 MKI) that crashed near Pune on December 13 was on its first air test (fly test) after it underwent the mandatory servicing. The aircraft had already completed 400 hours of flying and had to do undergo a second servicing (after every 200 hours) as per the Indian Air Force (IAF) norms. Sources with the investigation team tell Express that the fighter crashed after oscillating – a rare phenomenon if the platform was not under control. "The pilots couldn't control the aircraft and it crashed without any warning, clearly pointing towards system and quality issues," sources said.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles