The Syrian Crisis

pmaitra

Thank you so much Kunal.

There has been a lot of propaganda showing 'rebels blowing up tanks,' and what not. This barrage of propaganda videos, oftentimes same thing played again and again, created a sense that rebels were about to win. I am glad you have brought in some balance by posting these pictures, although, I must commend you from posting a good number of pictures form both the sides.

Thanks once again!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Thank you so much Kunal.

There has been a lot of propaganda showing 'rebels blowing up tanks,' and what not. This barrage of propaganda videos, oftentimes same thing played again and again, created a sense that rebels were about to win. I am glad you have brought in some balance by posting these pictures, although, I must commend you from posting a good number of pictures form both the sides.

Thanks once again!
Propaganda only works on the naive and the ignorant!

The rebels only seemed to be close to winning because assad hadn't gone ahead full throttle to crush them...he was still interested in a diplomatic negotiation but the bombing of his inner circle tipped the balance and all bets were off. And yes the propaganda was working overtime for the rest of the world.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I heard a discussion this afternoon about this group on US National Public Radio.

How Safe Are Donations To Syrian Rebels?

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/09/158494219/how-safe-are-donations-to-syrian-rebels

The U.S. government is not officially aiding rebels in the increasingly bloody civil war in Syria. But the treasury recently allowed a Washington-based group to raise money on behalf of the Free Syrian Army, a coalition of armed rebel groups. Host Michel Martin talks with Brian Sayers of Syrian Support Group about where the donations will go.
Syrian Support Group
At the beginning of the Syrian Revolution, civilian protesters took to the streets in peaceful calls for freedom, democracy and dignity. Their peaceful protests were instead met with shells, tanks, snipers, torture and mass detainment.

A group of soldiers defected to protect their communities from Assad's violent repression. More soldiers began to defect and with the support of civilian fighters have formed the Free Syrian Army. The Syrian Support Group is a United States-based non-profit organization committed to supporting the Free Syrian Army through all legal means.

We are committed to a pluralistic, civil and democratic Syria in which all Syrians are subject to the Rule of Law.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Very Interesting and Educational vid of RPG & IED attacks on T-72 Tanks..

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Assad's invasion suffers major setback

Nice peak behind the scenes...

IBSA

Country flag
Good documentary about the Syria crisis. English narration with Spanish captions

pack leader

Professional
Good documentary about the Syria crisis. English narration with Spanish captions

a pro Syrian gov conspiracy site with an anti British slant
probably Argentinian nationalists
not that i care Syria can burn as far as i care they funded and executed murder against us for 64 years let them suffer

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Rebels pull back in Syria's Aleppo, U.N. says no one will win | Reuters
Diplomats told Reuters that veteran Algerian diplomat Lakhdar Brahimi could be named next week to replace the U.N.-Arab League Syria envoy Kofi Annan, who resigned in frustration at the international deadlock on how to end the violence.

But they warned there could be last-minute changes if a key government had concerns or the candidate had second thoughts.

Assad, engaged in an all-consuming fight with his mostly Sunni opponents, appointed a Sunni as his new prime minister on Thursday after his predecessor fled on Monday in the highest-level defection so far in the uprising that began 17 months ago.

Wael al-Halki, from the southern province of Deraa where the revolt began, replaces Riyad Hijab, who had spent only two months in the job before making a dramatic escape across the border to Jordan.

Assad's authority was already shaken by the assassination last month of four of his top security officials and by rebel gains in Damascus, Aleppo and swathes of rural Syria.

But he has persevered with a crackdown on opponents seeking to end half a century of Baathist rule and topple a system dominated by members of the president's minority Alawite sect.

He has focused his fierce army counter-offensive on Syria's two main cities, reasserting control over much of the capital Damascus before taking the fight to the northern commercial hub.

Rebels fighting in the Aleppo district of Salaheddine, a southern gateway to the city, said they had been forced to fall back from frontline positions on Thursday by a fierce bombardment which had reduced buildings to rubble.

"There have been some withdrawals of Free Syrian Army fighters from Salaheddine," rebel commander Abu Ali said. Others said the main frontlines in the area, which had been held by rebels for more than a week, were now deserted.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Syrian army in Aleppo (09/08/12)

Syrian army forces are seen at al-Sijen district, in the centre of Aleppo, August 9, 2012.
Really? That's the regular Syrian Army? No boots, mixed helmet types (US & Russian I guess) or no helmet and uniform with civvie shirts...

No MOUT formations displayed. Very odd.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles