The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

• Chandragupta Maurya

Votes: 115 33.7%
  • Ashoka

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Raja Chola

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Akbar

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

Votes: 58 17.0%
  • Tipu Sultan

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Ranjith Singh

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Samudra Gupta

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

Votes: 20 5.9%
  • Harsha

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Kanishka

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Akbar and Tipu do not qualify as per OP. Even if the scope is expanded to include all the greatest rulers, i think Tipu will still not fit the bill as he was a small regional ruler and not a pan India one like Akbar. Tipu was confined to certain regions in south India only.

I would also suggest rules to quality otherwise.
1) Vastness of the empire
2) Military expeditions and their successes
3) Administrative skills
4) Culture, Literary and art.
5) Science and technological advances
6) Popularity among the subjects

i would imagine that the bravery of a king does not qualify for greatness. Thinking from the point of view of maintaining vast empires. Someone like Rana Pratap may be a great warrior who fought the Moghuls heroically , but he did not have a large kingdom. For most of his life, he was on the run organizing guerrilla attacks on the Moghul army.

Looking in this context, let us list and vote for the greatest kings/emperors of India.

pankaj nema

Country flag
A great historical figure is ALSO a person who is a highly inspirational person for generations to come

Rana Pratap of course was not a " successful " king in the sense that he was on the run

But his love for " freedom " and independence inspired Shivaji who looked upon Rana Pratap as
a role model for his never ending fight for freedom

Shivaji started out his quest for independence with absolutely zero resources

The geography and gureilla tactics helped Shivaji but Rana pratap's bravery was at the top of the
mind of the Marathas that YES The Mughals can be kept at bay for several years

Similarly during the independence struggle or freedom movement against the British ,
THOSE historical figures who FOUGHT FOR freedom were remembered

Though Gandhiji and Company were our leaders in the freedom movement the
COMMON Man who braved the Bullets and Lathis of the British was insipired by the exploits
of Rana pratap , Shivaji , Ranjit Singh and Hari SIngh Nalwa ALL FREEDOM FIGHTERS of
EARLIER GENERATIONS

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That would be a topic for another thread. May be brave kings of India or something. Bravery is not equal to Greatness as an emperor. We have had enough in this thread moving all over the place. Lets stick with something. Rest can be discussed in other threads. Probably you can start one.

Param

Who was the greatest King in Indian History?.........Raja of Manda Vishwanath Pratap Singh.:peace:

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
what is the criteria for greatness ? religion, region, conquests, economic prosperity, lasting legacy, military might, wealth, concubines, bravery, chauvinism, chivalry ?

pankaj nema

Country flag
what is the criteria for greatness ? religion, region, conquests, economic prosperity, lasting legacy, military might, wealth, concubines, bravery, chauvinism, chivalry ?
I would say that it is POSITIVE IMPACT on the minds of several successive generations

Somebody who can be remembered for having faced similar difficult situations , successfully , in the past

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I would say that it is POSITIVE IMPACT on the minds of several successive generations

Somebody who can be remembered for having faced similar difficult situations , successfully , in the past
so someone with a feel good factor ? how about someone who may have not had a positive impact on your mind because of his looks, religion, caste, tribe, origin etc but has left a lasting positive impact on your nation, society, culture ?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Why leaving out King Bharata, ruler of Bharatvasha? He controlled almost all of the subcontinent.

pankaj nema

Country flag
so someone with a feel good factor ? how about someone who may have not had a positive impact on your mind because of his looks, religion, caste, tribe, origin etc but has left a lasting positive impact on your nation, society, culture ?
Please name such a person and if I believe that he/she has had a BENEFICIAL and positive IMPACT on India ; I will agree with you

Iamanidiot

this thread is crap @pankaj Akbar had a positive impact prove me wrong

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Why leaving out King Bharata, ruler of Bharatvasha? He controlled almost all of the subcontinent.
if you want to go into that Rama was the perfect king !

Please name such a person and if I believe that he/she has had a BENEFICIAL and positive IMPACT on India ; I will agree with you
this thread is crap @pankaj Akbar had a positive impact prove me wrong
Sher Shah Suri and Akbar.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok, I'll be that guy.

Sivaji, Rani laxmibai, Ranjit Singh, Maharana Pratap, Prithviraj Chauhan are inspirational. Their reigns were short, kingdoms small, exploits motivational and impact limited.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I dont agree with you
either your history is different from what I've read or you have your religious blinkers on.
I just got to say read Zafarnama composed by Guru Gobind Singh to Aurangzeb. What ought to be praised ought be, what ought to be condemned ought to be.

rama and bharata are notional charcters not historical figures
I don't concur with you. Personal belief.

Iamanidiot

The great contribution of great individuals is they leave sound institutions,social set-ups for the future generations

pankaj nema

Country flag
Ok, I'll be that guy.

Sivaji, Rani laxmibai, Ranjit Singh, Maharana Pratap, Prithviraj Chauhan are inspirational. Their reigns were short, kingdoms small, exploits motivational and impact limited.
What has been the OVER ARCHING NATIONAL narrative of the last 1000 years

It has been FREEDOM from oppressors .

First Islamic and then British

It has also been to SAVE Hinduism and Sikhism . Hinduism and Sikhism never THREATENED any religion
On the contrary they were under extreme pressure and threat

So the people who you have belittled are those who have saved both Me and you ( I assume you are a SIkh )

Iamanidiot

either your history is different from what I've read or you have your religious blinkers on.
I just got to say read Zafarnama composed by Guru Gobind Singh to Aurangzeb. What ought to be praised ought be, what ought to be condemned ought to be.

I don't concur with you. Personal belief.
@paaji Bharata is a character of abhijanashakuntalam by kalidasa during the guptan period .There is no historical evidence that Rama exists

pankaj nema

Country flag
Why so?What mistake did he do ?He provided law and order for a large part of the country and the systems he placed worked for a 100years
Stability which is built on FEAR , Oppression, Subjugation ,FORCED Marriages for the SAKE OF PEACE .

Such Stability is like a peaceful surface of a river but UNDERNEATH it there are massive currents
of desperation and frustration waiting to explode

If Mughal Empire was really built on " solid " foundations other than FEAR and Inducements for changing religions ;then You would nt have seen it split so badly after 1707

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles