The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

• Chandragupta Maurya

Votes: 115 33.7%
  • Ashoka

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Raja Chola

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Akbar

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

Votes: 58 17.0%
  • Tipu Sultan

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Ranjith Singh

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Samudra Gupta

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

Votes: 20 5.9%
  • Harsha

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Kanishka

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
OK, a new poll is added on "Who is the greatest king in Indian History??". Please vote and suggest a king's name if it is missing from the poll. But I think I have covered all major kings of India in the Chronological order.

pmaitra

Chandragupta Maurya is revered only by Indians, whereas Asoka is revered throughout Asia, and even the whole world.
I voted from Chandragupta Maurya. While from a global perspective Ashoka had a greater impact, from the Indian perspective, it was Chandragupta who humiliated the till then undefeatable Greeks and took control of Afghanistan which was under Mauryan control for the next three centuries, and other territories as well. Also, Ashoka inherited a lot of territory and added to it while Chandragupta created the Empire. This is my rationale.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I voted from Chandragupta Maurya. While from a global perspective Ashoka had a greater impact, from the Indian perspective, it was Chandragupta who humiliated the till then undefeatable Greeks and took control of Afghanistan which was under Mauryan control for the next three centuries, and other territories as well. Also, Ashoka inherited a lot of territory and added to it while Chandragupta created the Empire. This is my rationale.
Anyone can conquer territory, that's easy. Holding onto it is the difficult part. Chandragupta may have been a great conqueror but Asoka was a greater consolidator and administrator.

Also we have absolutely no archaeological remains of Chandragupta's reign so we have no way of objectively gauging how 'great' it may have been. But we have do have archaeological remains of Asoka's reign.

pmaitra

Anyone can conquer territory, that's easy. Holding onto it is the difficult part. Chandragupta may have been a great conqueror but Asoka was a greater consolidator and administrator.

Also we have absolutely no archaeological remains of Chandragupta's reign so we have no way of objectively gauging how 'great' it may have been. But we have do have archaeological remains of Asoka's reign.
Yes, I agree that consolidation is very important and perhaps more difficult than conquest.

However, I would beg to disagree on the archaeological evidence part. Chandragupta's achievements are well documented by Indian as well as Greek historians, the latter having referred to him as 'Sandracottos.' I wouldn't doubt it.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
However, I would beg to disagree on the archaeological evidence part. Chandragupta's achievements are well documented by Indian as well as Greek historians, the latter having referred to him as 'Sandracottos.' I wouldn't doubt it.
I am not doubting Chandragupta's existence. I am saying that he did not leave behind any physical, material traces that we can use today to gauge the 'greatness' of his reign. Asoka left behind his pillar and rock edicts as well as the Buddhist stupas, and these provide a main source of information on Asoka's reign.

There are literary accounts of Chandragupta's reign, yes, but these do not carry as much weight as tangible, physical evidence that we can readily examine.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Chandragupta Maurya is revered only by Indians, whereas Asoka is revered throughout Asia, and even the whole world.
To be honest, Ashoka doesn't get much light world wide, or even in Asia. Many Asian emperors like Cyrus the Great doesnt gets enough light shined on them.

People like Cyrus should get equal or more respect then Alexander the Great.

Weird thing is that the Greeks mentions Chandragupta many time even his son, but Ashoka not even ones I don't think.

Last edited:

pmaitra

I am not doubting Chandragupta's existence. I am saying that he did not leave behind any physical, material traces that we can use to gauge the 'greatness' of his reign. Asoka left behind his pillar and rock edicts as well as the Buddhist stupas, and these provide a main source of information on Asoka's reign.
True.

Do consider that Chandragupta's life was devoted to fighting wars and putting down rebellions. He spent a lot of effort in building up a great Empire. Then came his son and then Ashoka, who had a relatively easier life from the military point of view. Also, most of the archaeological erections of Ashoka were carried out after he adopted Buddhism, when he gave up war and concentrated on spreading Buddhism, building stupas, infrastructure etc..

Constructing magnificent buildings should not be the only or the most important parameter to judge the greatness of an Empire and more so the greatness of an Emperor.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
To be honest, Ashoka doesn't get much light world wide, or even in Asia. Many Asian emperors like Cyrus the Great doesnt gets enough light shined on them.
Asoka is held in very high-esteem by Buddhists around the world, especially in Southeast Asia and to a lesser extent in China and Japan. In fact there are several replicas of Asoka's lion emblem found in Southeast Asia, some of which were posted earlier in this thread.

Due to his humanistic approach to kingship Asoka is also held in high esteem by intellectuals in general throughout the world. Even H.G. Wells thought he was the greatest monarch is world history.

People like Cyrus should get equal or more respect then Alexander the Great.
Cyrus is highly respected by the Jews for allowing them to return to Judea (they were imprisoned in Babylon by the Chaldean Empire).

Weird thing is that the Greeks mentions Chandragupta many time even his son, but Ashoka not even ones I don't think.
I received an excellent scholarly article on this very matter (Greek collaboration with Asoka) just a few weeks ago.

I can start a new thread if you want.

pmaitra

Megasthenes was a Greek Ambassador at Ashoka's Capital in present day Bihar/UP (Pataliputra if I am not mistaken, or was it Benaras?)

Edit: Sorry, it was during Chandragupta's time and at Pataliputra, but exact dates are not known.

I received an excellent scholarly article on this very matter (Greek collaboration with Asoka) just a few weeks ago.

Please share.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
In fact there are several replicas of Asoka's lion emblem found in Southeast Asia, some of which were posted earlier in this thread.

I have only seen one.

Today in our age Ashoka doesn't get that much respect or exposure even in Asia. He is the second most important figure in Buddhism, and he is like the Constantine the Great to Buddhism, but I feel like he doesn't get his points.

Share here.

Only source that I know of is Sri Lankan ones. It only talkd about Ashoka's children.(Who helped spread Buddhism there)

Cyrus is highly respected by the Jews for allowing them to return to Judea (they were imprisoned in Babylon by the Chaldean Empire).
He should get world wide respect like Alexander. Oh well, we are in a Euro world.

Last edited:

Rahul M

what ? no samudragupta or chandragupta vikramaditya in the list ? the rulers during the golden age of Indian civilization ! the former being one of the best generals in Indian history and his son the legendary patron of arts and science. he of the navratna sabha fame.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Chandragupta Vikramaditya another great king. Great enough that our next flagship of the navy is named after him.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
where is Maharana Pratap Singh of Mewar in the list?

where is prithviraj chauhan who killed Sultan Shahāb-ud-Din Muhammad Ghori on 15th day of march 1206?

"Char bans, chaubis gaj, angul ashta praman, Ta upar sultan hai, Chuke mat Chauhan."

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Megasthenes was a Greek Ambassador at Ashoka's Capital in present day Bihar/UP (Pataliputra if I am not mistaken, or was it Benaras?)

Edit: Sorry, it was during Chandragupta's time and at Pataliputra, but exact dates are not known.
The most recent sources I've looked at on this matter suggests that Megasthenes was the ambassador of the Seleucid king Antiochos I Soter (r. 281-261 B.C.E.) and not, as it was previously assumed, of his predecessor Seleucus I Nicator (r. 305-281 B.C.E.). This would make Megasthenes an ambassador at the court of Bindusara, and not Chandragupta. It was to Antiochos I that Bindusara made his famous request for "sweet wine, dried figs, and a philosopher", as per the Greek accounts.

Megasthenes' successor as ambassador to the Mauryan Empire was Daimachos, who was dispatched by Antiochos II Theos (r. 261-246). Judging by the dates, as well as the special reference that Asoka makes to Antiochos II in his pillar edicts, we can assume that Daimachos was in fact the Seleucid ambassador at the court of Asoka himself.

I have only seen one.
There are both physical and symobolic replicas.

Look at my avatar, for example. The medieval Laotians adapted Asoka's multi-headed lion into a multi-headed elephant (there are no lions in Laos).

Share here.
I'll start a new thread. The article is too long to post here and I would like any discussion on it to be separate from the discussion here on this thread.

Last edited:

pmaitra

^^

Great, very informative and succinct post CivFanatic. Many thanks!

pankaj nema

Country flag
I have voted Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Simply because he saved India

Shivaji and his descendents prevented the ISLAMISATION of Southern and Western India

Aurang zeb was bent upon destroying Hinduism and the Marathas took the enemy head on

For the first time in Several Centuries a king other than the Delhi Sultan brought out his OWN
coins and currency

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Chandrgupta Vikramaditya

Chandragupta II the Great, very often referred to as Vikramaditya orChandragupta Vikramaditya in Sanskrit; was one of the most powerful emperors of the Gupta empire. His rule spanned 375–413/15 CE, during which the Gupta Empire achieved its zenith. The period of prominence of the Gupta dynasty is very often referred to as the Golden Age of India. Chandragupta II the Great was the son of the previous ruler,Samudragupta the Great. He attained success by pursuing both a favorable marital alliance and an aggressive expansionist policy. In this his father and grandfather set the precedent.

Chandragupta II the Great controlled a vast empire, from the mouth of the Ganges to the mouth of the Indus River and from what is now North Pakistan down to the mouth of the Narmada. Pataliputra continued to be the capital of his huge empire but Ujjain too became a sort of second capital. The large number of beautiful gold coins issued by the Gupta dynasty are a testament to the imperial grandeur of that age. Chandragupta II also started producing silver coins in the Shaka tradition.

Faxian (Wade-Giles Fa-hsien) was the first of three great Chinese pilgrims who visited India from the fifth to the seventh centuries AD, in search of knowledge, manuscripts and relics. He arrived during the reign of Chandragupta II and gave a general description of North India at that time. Among the other things, he reported about the absence of capital punishment, the lack of a poll-tax and land tax. Most citizens did not consume onions, garlic, meat, and wine.
Culturally, the reign of Chandragupta II marked a Golden Age. This is evidenced by later reports of the presence of a circle of poets known as the Nine Gems in his court. The greatest among them was Kalidasa, who authored numerous immortal pieces of literature including The Recognition of Shakuntala. The others were the Sanskrit grammarian Amara Sinhaand the astronomer-mathematician Varahamihira.
The next day after the Hindu festival Diwali is called Padwa or Varshapratipada, which marks the coronation of King Vikramaditya. The Hindu Vikram-Samvat calendar was apparently started on this day and this day is celebrated as New Year's Day in Nepal where Vikram Sambat is the official calendar there, and some places in India. But, Vikram-Samvat calender is from 57 BCE. So, there was someother king by name Vikram, who started this calender.
Shak-Samvat is synchronised with the Shak-Samvat calendar, which starts around April. This calendar was initiated by Gautamiputra Satakarni who defeated the Saka king Vikramaditya, thus starting the Shalivahana era or Shaka Calendar

This iron pillor erected by him still stands tall in Delhi.
Close to the Qutub Minar is one of Delhi's most curious structures, an iron pillar, dating back to 4th century CE. The pillar bears an inscription which states that it was erected as a flagstaff in honour of the Hindu god Vishnu, and in the memory of Chandragupta II (A derivation of the play by Vishakadata states that the pillar had been put up by Chandragupta himself after defeating the Vahilakas who had once defeated Alexander the Great.After this great feat,he put up this pillar as a memory of this victory) . The pillar also highlights ancient India's achievements in metallurgy. The pillar is made of 98% wrought iron and has stood more than 1,600 years without rusting or decomposing. This iron pillar is similar to the Pillars of Ashoka found mostly in northern India. From Chandragupta II kings were known as Parama Bhagavatas, or Bhagavata Vaishnavas. The Bhagavata Purana entails the fully developed tenets and philosophy of the Bhagavata tradition wherein Krishna gets fused with Vasudeva and transcends Vedic Vishnu and cosmic Hari to be turned into the ultimate object of bhakti.
India has many interesting stories about King Vikramaditya, his guru named 'Manva-Patwa' and his queen(s).

Chandragupta continued issuing most of the gold coin types introduced by his father Samudragupta, such as the Sceptre type (rare for Chandragupta), the Archer type, and the Tiger-Slayer type. However, Chandragupta also introduced several new types, such as the Horseman type and the Lion-slayer type, both of which were used a lot by his sonKumaragupta. In addition, Chandragupta was the first Gupta king to issue silver coins, such as the one illustrated at right. These coins were intended to replace the silver coinage of the Western Kshatrapasafter Chandragupta defeated them, and were modeled on the Kshatrapa coinage. The main difference was to replace the dynastic symbol of the Kshatrapas (the three-arched hill) by the dynastic symbol of the Guptas (the mythic eagle Garuda). Further, Chandragupta also issued lead coins based on Kshatrapa prototypes and rare copper coins probably inspired by the coins of another tribe he defeated, the Nagas.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Samudra Gupta

Samudra Gupta, (died 380 ce), regional emperor of India from about 330 to 380 ce. He generally is considered the epitome of an "ideal king" of the "golden age of Hindu history," as the period of the imperial Guptas (320–510 ce) has often been called. The son of King Chandra Gupta I and the Licchavi princess Kumaradevi, he is pictured as a muscular warrior, a poet, and a musician who displayed "marks of hundreds of wounds received in battle." In many ways he personified the Indian conception of the hero.
Samudra Gupta was chosen as emperor by his father over other contenders and apparently had to repress revolts in his first years of rule. On pacifying the kingdom, which probably then reached from what is now Allahabad (in present-day Uttar Pradesh state) to the borders ofBengal, he began a series of wars of expansion from his northern base near what is now Delhi. In the southern Pallava kingdom of Kanchipuram, he defeated King Vishnugopa, then restored him and other defeated southern kings to their thrones on payment of tribute. Several northern kings were uprooted, however, and their territories added to the Gupta empire. At the height of Samudra Gupta's power, he controlled nearly all of the valley of the Ganges (Ganga) River and received homage from rulers of parts of east Bengal, Assam, Nepal, the eastern part of the Punjab, and various tribes of Rajasthan. He exterminated 9 monarchs and subjugated 12 others in his campaigns.
From inscriptions on gold coins and on the Ashoka pillar in the fort at Allahabad, Samudra Gupta is shown to have been especially devoted to the Hindu god Vishnu. He revived the ancient Vedic horse sacrifice, probably at the conclusion of his fighting days, and distributed large sums for charitable purposes during these ceremonies. A special [COLOR=#009900 !important]gold coin[/COLOR] that he issued commemorated this ceremony, while another showed him playing the harp; all were of high gold content and excellent workmanship.
Since he was a member of the influential Brahman caste (the highest-ranking caste), it is reasonable to assume that he supported caste distinctions, and the Guptas may have been responsible for the emergence of Brahmanism as a theological system as well as a code of social behaviour, which was carried into present Hindu society.

Samudragupta was a great warrior. His passion of conquest was so great that he did not rest till he captured almost whole of India. It seems Samudragupta first waged wars against the neighbouring kingdoms of Shichchhatra (Rohilkhand) and Padmavati (in Central India), then ruled by Achyuta and Nagasena. Then he incorporated in the Gupta empire the kingdom of Kota kings by defeating him. He also waged wars against tribal states like those of Malvas, the Yaudheyas, the Arjunayanas, the Maduras and the Abhiras. The descendants of Kushanas, many chieftains of Sakas, the Ceylonese hastened to propitiate [COLOR=#0000FF !important][FONT=verdana !important]the great
[/COLOR] Gupta by offering homage and tribute or presents.Samudragupta's daring adventure was his military expedition to the south along the coast of the Bay of Bengal. He defeated Mahendra of Khosla, Mantaraja of Kurala, Mahendragiri of Pithapuram, Svamidatta of Kottura, Damana of Erandapalla, Vishnugupta - the Pallava king of Kanchi, Kubera of Devarashtrain the Vizagapatam district and Dhananjaya of Kushthalapur possible in North Arcot. Samudragupta did not go beyond the river Krishna.
Towards the west, Samudragupta subdued Palaghat, Maharashtra and Khandesh. He did not annex any part of the Deccan to his empire as he knew that it would be difficult to control those territories situated so far from Patliputra.
Samudragupta's territories [COLOR=#0000FF !important][FONT=verdana !important]extended
[/COLOR] from the Himalayas in the north to the river Narbada in the south and from the Brahamaputra river in the east to the Yamuna river in the west. Then there were other kingdoms like Assam, Nepal, Devaka, Kartipura.

Samudragupta is considered as one of the greatest rulers in [COLOR=#0000FF !important][FONT=verdana !important]Indian history[/COLOR]. He is also compared to Alexander or [COLOR=#0000FF !important][FONT=verdana !important]Napoleon[/FONT][/COLOR] as a conqueror. He performed Ashwamedha Yajna (horse sacrifice) after defeating nine kings in the north and twelve kings in the south to underline the importance of his conquest of almost the whole of India. He also assumed the title ofMaharajadhiraja (King of Kings) and Chakravartin (Universal Monarch).Samudragupta was not a only a great warrior but also a great patron of art and [COLOR=#0000FF !important][FONT=verdana !important]literature[/FONT][/COLOR]. He gathered around himself a galaxy of poets and scholars, the most prominent ones being Harishena, Vasubandhu and Asanga. He himself was a great poet and musician. In one of his coins, he is shown playing the Veena. Samudragupta was a staunch believer of Hinduism and was a worshiper of Lord Vishnu. He also respected other[COLOR=#0000FF !important][FONT=verdana !important]religions[/FONT][/COLOR] like Buddhism and also allowed the Buddhist king of Ceylon to build a monastery at Bodh-Gaya.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles