Sukhoi PAK FA

gogbot

Jobs aren't a problem in the DPSUs, only in the private industry. The DPSUs are kicking out competition like crazy. Only a Tata or L&T can survive, that is only possible with govt support. An example is the FICV project where the DPSUs are banned from taking part. If they did'nt then the private industry won't be able to compete on a cost basis against the DPSUs where the pay is sh!t and money comes from the exchequer. Why do you think some officials want to use the assembly line that already exists instead of making a new one? Costs are too high and guarantees too low. The Army can simply reject everything and import.
hmm.. , hopefully we see more changes to the defense policy that allows for more private sector participation.

Don't be so sure. IA was forced to induct the Arjun without having met requirements. LCA has already undergone induction without IOC. A squadron is being raised as we speak.
At the risk of being sidetracked , i will contend with you on these points.

As i understand it Arjun was not inducted prior to meeting requirements. It had fulfilled the GSQR by the time the go ahead was given for the first 124 tanks. If this is not the case you may correct me with appropriate information.

with regards to the LCA , yes there are plans to induct one squadron and it was stated very clearly that it would only happen after IOC-II(Which = IOC) has been given. With the information i have now , IAF won't receive it first planes until the end of 2013(expected , if IOC-II does not slip again) .

Which is a better option? Keeping tabs on projects and making sure everything works or testing them out in battlefields. Do we need hundreds killed and thousands wounded to determine if something works or not?

By keeping stuff in labs, things can be controlled. Bringing the stuff outside, especially to a battlefield, things can quickly go out of control. The Americans brought out untested Patriot batteries in the Iraq war and they started shooting down their own aircraft. We can't afford such luxuries like the Americans can.
I tried to respond to this as well , but felt balled by your point.

Though luck really if the project goes belly up.
You accept risk and you plan for it.
If it fails you try again or give up.

You don't sit there with wild expectations looking for results and guarantees that will never happen.

in the Software engineering side of things only 1 in 4 projects ever deliver 100% of what was intended to be done.

I don't see how these even more massive projects which has SE involved has a better statistic.

JF-17 is a more successful project than LCA. And personally I think even the JF-17 is a waste of time, even for China.
By what measure ?
what your saying can be both true and false based on your criteria

Peace time operations are fine. But if you want to give them options then give them the option between MKI, Rafale and LCA as a replacement to the Mig-21. Then see what they will choose. Considering we can afford all three, the option should exist.
I tried to respond to this , but i don't know what your saying beyond the obvious.
You can ask a USAF pilot if he wants an F-35 or F-22. what do you think is the very obvious answer.

nothing you said changes the fact that an ASR Tejas is simply better for morale over a mig-21.
The very fact you have training simulators for the plane is a big Boone.

Last edited:

p2prada

As i understand it Arjun was not inducted prior to meeting requirements. It had fulfilled the GSQR by the time the go ahead was given for the first 124 tanks. If this is not the case you may correct me with appropriate information.
Need to look for it. But in the posts where I quoted Ajai Shukla, even he said the Arjun was inducted before requirements were satisfied. This is actually well known.

with regards to the LCA , yes there are plans to induct one squadron and it was stated very clearly that it would only happen after IOC-II(Which = IOC) has been given. With the information i have now , IAF won't receive it first planes until the end of 2013(expected , if IOC-II does not slip again) .
Hopefully it stays that way. IAF already has 4 LCAs in operation.

Though luck really if the project goes belly up.
You accept risk and you plan for it.
If it fails you try again or give up.

You don't sit there with wild expectations looking for results and guarantees that will never happen.
This is an unacceptable risk. The Patriot developers gave guarantees of successful use in the Gulf war, it failed. Heads rolled.

in the Software engineering side of things only 1 in 4 projects ever deliver 100% of what was intended to be done.
Yes. The Patriot's biggest failure was when a Scud interception failed and 28 men died for it. Guess what, it was a software error, something to do with the RT clock.

I don't see how these even more massive projects which has SE involved has a better statistic.
What is SE?

By what measure ?
what your saying can be both true and false based on your criteria
IOC has been achieved. That's why they are inducting multiple squadrons. They are already at their 3rd.

Sure you can say the LCA is more advanced. But the end result is that the JF-17 followed the timetable set for it while the LCA did not.

I tried to respond to this , but i don't know what your saying beyond the obvious.
You can ask a USAF pilot if he wants an F-35 or F-22. what do you think is the very obvious answer.
Not at all. F-16 jockeys will ask for F-35 and F-15 jockeys will ask for F-22. Both are excellent aircraft. But when pilots have such an option, then ask one of them to choose the F-16 Block 52 over the F-35 instead. USAF can afford such aircraft, so pilots are happy.

IAF can afford such aircraft as well, so why should our pilots be any less happy.

nothing you said changes the fact that an ASR Tejas is simply better for morale over a mig-21.
The very fact you have training simulators for the plane is a big Boone.
Sure. An option between a LCA and Mig-21 would see LCA as the winner. But is LCA the only option? We are inducting much better aircraft while replacing the Mig-21s. More importantly, the Bison pilots are all senior pilots now. The young ones have moved away from the Migs and the remaining 80 old Mig-21s have been grounded. Young pilots are being given the MKIs followed by Rafale and PAKFA in the future. Old pilots will switch between the Mig-21 and Mig-29 squadrons as they have the experience to fly these aircraft along with moving to MKI or Rafale squadrons as WSOs.

All new aircraft are getting simulators. The old and experienced pilots still flying the Mig-21 don't need basic simulator training on the Bisons anymore.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Yes. The Patriot's biggest failure was when a Scud interception failed and 28 men died for it. Guess what, it was a software error, something to do with the RT clock.
P2P we can never be sure if it was a software failure. Personally I don't believe that clocks would have been a source of error, we very well know when working with systems like this and GPS, we need a global time. Also most of the time people say S/W failed. But the case was that requirements weren't clear before the S/W development process was started.

I still don't believe it could just be the S/W

p2prada

P2P we can never be sure if it was a software failure. Personally I don't believe that clocks would have been a source of error, we very well know when working with systems like this and GPS, we need a global time. Also most of the time people say S/W failed. But the case was that requirements weren't clear before the S/W development process was started.

I still don't believe it could just be the S/W
This happened in 1991 and was announced as a software error because of problems with the clock.
U.S. GAO - Patriot Missile Defense: Software Problem Led to System Failure at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

The first supposed BM intercept in history is funny. The system detected a Scud and fired SAMs at it. It was a hit and became the first successful interception ever. Best part is there was no Scud. The system simply assumed there was a missile and fired. This was a software error too.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
According to congressional committee and GAO assessment, the Patriot missiles (V 1) had a success rate of less than 1% for the 1990s first Gulf War.

Subsequently the Patriots were improved - mostly with the radars and the software.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
@Kunal is there any image of OLS IRST cockpit display, i wonder how it looks for the pilot. Could it be a pictorial image he is seeing, like a telescope?

Last edited:

gogbot

Need to look for it. But in the posts where I quoted Ajai Shukla, even he said the Arjun was inducted before requirements were satisfied. This is actually well known.
Again as i understand it

Army gets its first armoured regiment of MBT Arjun
5/25/2009

History of sorts was made today as the Indian Army proudly equipped itself with the first Armoured Regiment of indigenously built Main Battle Tank, Arjun. The development marks the fruition of 35 years of research in self-reliance by dedicated Indian scientists against all odds.

16 tanks (Cumulative 45 Arjun tanks) were handed over to Lt.Gen.D.Bhardwaj, DGMF, towards formation of the 1st Arjun regiment by Shri S.Chandrasekar, Addl. DGOF (AV) and flagged-off by Dr.A.Sivathanu PIllai, Chief Controller, Research & Development & Distinguished Scientist, DRDO at a function in Avadi today. MBT Arjun is the state-of-art main battle tank designed and developed by Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment(CVRDE), Avadi along with other DRDO and industrial partners. MBT Arjun is provided with excellent mobility, superior fire power and protection and the features are quite comparable to contemporary world tanks. The Kanchan Armour, Hydro-pneumatic suspension, Armament system, Integrated Fire Detection & Suppression System, system engineering and system integration of complex weapon platforms are some of the significant indigenous technologies of Arjun, developed by DRDO labs. Initially 12 prototypes were developed during 1983 to 1990 and they were subjected to field trials of more than 20,000 kms and 1100 rounds. Based on user feedback 15 pre-production vehicles were developed during 1990 to 1995 and they were subjected to field trials of more than 70,000 kms and 8000 rounds. After the satisfactory trials, army placed an indent initially for 15 limited series production in Nov 1997 and cumulatively 124 in Mar 2000. The development of Arjun was carried out in a number of stages and evaluation through extensive field trials. After satisfactory performance, Army placed an indent for the full compliment of 124 nos. of MBT Arjun in Mar 2000.

As there was a long gap from the R&D phase to production phase from 1993 to 2000, problems related to re-establishing production lines and vendor sources and resolving overseas issues like technology denial in view of Pokhran testing, change over and mergers of OEMS for the critical items, delayed initial commencement of production. In order to meet the production requirement, additional infrastructure facilities and machine tools were established at HVF, Avadi and Ordnance Factory, Medak. However, the first pilot batch of production tanks was handed over to Army on 7th August 2004 in the presence of the then Defence Minister Shri. Pranab Mukherjee. During subsequent production, Army insisted upon the demonstration of medium fording capabilities of MBT Arjun. Both CVRDE and HVF, continuously worked on war footing, to meet the stringent requirement of medium fording to a height of 2.1m in water with preparation time of 30 minutes as retro-fitment solution and demonstrated successfully to Defence Minister Shri A.K.Antony and other dignitaries on 2nd July 2007. Subsequently, the production tanks were incorporated with all medium fording modifications and the next batch of nine tanks were handed over by Sep 2007.

Meanwhile, Army carried out the Accelerated Usage Cum Reliability Trials (AUCRT) in 5 phases on two tanks from Nov 2007 to Aug 2008 covering more than 8000 km and 800 rounds of firing in each tank. AUCRT is required for assessing the spares requirement for the entire life of the tank besides evaluation of reliability of tank. Each phase consists of 1000kms run and 100EFC (Approx. 160 rounds of APFSDS and HESH – Primary and secondary rounds) over a temperature range of -5 to 500C. One of the main issues during AUCRT trials was the failure of the bearings of Transmission of M/s RENK, Germany, due to rise in lub oil temperature. However, this was immediately solved by modifying the software during AUCRT itself and the efficacy of the software was proved for more than 4000kms. However a comprehensive solution of modifying the bearing assembly by providing a special coating was carried out to take care of the temperature problem and the retrofitment of bearing assembly being carried out in all the tanks.

The outcome of AUCRT trials raised the confidence levels of the users over the reliability and endurance of MBT Arjun and they confirmed that the overall performance of the MBT Arjun during the stringent AUCRT trials was satisfactory and cleared the production tanks with minor modifications suggested during AUCRT, for induction. Both CVRDE and HVF along with DGQA agencies worked out methodologies to introduce all AUCRT modifications within shortest time frame and the next batch of 17 tanks were handed over to Army by 3rd March 2009.

As suggested by Army after AUCRT trials, Arjun tanks were subjected to rigorous trials and assessment by a third party audit (an internationally reputed tank manufacturer). After the extensive evaluation, the reputed tank manufacturer confirmed that the MBT Arjun is an excellent tank with very good mobility and fire power characteristics suitable for Indian desert. They also added inputs such as quality auditing, production procedures and refined calibration procedures for further enhancing the performance of MBT Arjun. DRDO, will be incorporating all these inputs in the next regiment of 62 tanks for handing over to Army before Mar 2010 as desired by the Army.

The regiment of 45 tanks will be subjected to a conversion training and field practice for a period of 3 months. Thereafter, the Army is planning to conduct a comparative trial with T 90 tanks in Oct/Nov 2009 to assess the operational deployment role of the tanks. The present batch of 124 tanks will be delivered by Mar 2010.

Veerendra/Rajendra
Release Id :48844
Nothing in there suggests the Arjun was forced on the Army before testing and trials were complete.
The Army barely had 45 tanks by 2009 , and all of those were for testing.

Hopefully it stays that way. IAF already has 4 LCAs in operation.
Again as i understand it

LCA Tejas
8/4/2011

Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) for Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas has been completed in December 2010. So far, 1,659 flight tests have been completed.

LCA, Tejas Phase-ll Programme (Air Force version) was sanctioned in November 2001 at a cost'of Rs.3301.78 Cr. with Probable Date of Completion (PDC) of December 2008. The project is likely to be completed by December 2012 with an additional cost of Rs.2475.78 Cr. The additional cost is to meet the expanded scope of the programme, increased cost of materials, manpower, maintenance of facilities, etc.

Phased development approach has been changed to concurrent development approach. Annual Review by Raksha Mantri, Review by Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Quarterly Review by Deputy Chief of Air Staff are being regularly carried out to check the delay in completion of project.

Indian Air Force has ordered 40 Tejas Mk-I aircraft (20 aircraft in IOC and 20 aircraft in FOC standard). Two aircraft will be ready by March 2012 for induction.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri Uday Pratap Singh in Lok Sabha today.

PK/NN
Release Id :73840
I don't see how there can be 4 in service already.
Especially considering since that press release , there has been a delay of one year at least.

And even if they were already in service , they would be initial production aircraft to achieve FOC standard.
which is standard practice.

This is an unacceptable risk. The Patriot developers gave guarantees of successful use in the Gulf war, it failed. Heads rolled.
I fail to see your point really,
In retrospect a lot of thing look like "unacceptable risks" , in practice its pretty much par for the course.
Your never going to have risks and guarantee's your comfortable with , if you are then your more likely misinformed about the risks or guarantees .

Stuff like that is par for the course sadly.
Anything to do with SE needs a lot of Quality control.

But then you have deadlines , so one thing has to give.

What is SE?
Software engineering.

Sure you can say the LCA is more advanced. But the end result is that the JF-17 followed the timetable set for it while the LCA did not.
Sure , by that measure one can say if the LCA was accepted before it met the current ASR it would also be success.

however
Using your own logic that inducting planes before they are ready is worse than not inducting.
Then the JF-17 would not be success.

Currently they are very much stuck with planes that need new avionics and missiles , their operational readiness is very much in question NO ?

Not at all. F-16 jockeys will ask for F-35 and F-15 jockeys will ask for F-22. Both are excellent aircraft. But when pilots have such an option, then ask one of them to choose the F-16 Block 52 over the F-35 instead. USAF can afford such aircraft, so pilots are happy.
According to what you suggested prior in your question.

Well why not make the F-22B(Strike varriant) , why make the F-35 at all.
By all measures the F-22 has superior design.

Why go for a smaller single engine design in the first place , why would those pilots choose that over a bigger twin engine aircraft ?

why complicate the issue at all

IAF has Mirage 2000 and MIg-29
They also have Rafale and MKI.

Why any of the Mirage or mig-29 pilots fly their planes over the Rafale and MKI ?
according to what i think you suggest , they should scrap both the mirage and Mig-29 and get more Rafale and MKI.
However IAF has expensive upgrade plans for both aircraft costing billions of dollars(more money then they have ever had to commit towards the LCA project). Why shouldn't all those resources be put into MKI and Rafale because that's what the pilots want and what we can afford.

Now i could be crazy but i am thinking there are certain logistical and financial reason for the IAF not jut getting MKI and Rafale to replace everything.

I also think there may be logistical and financial reason for the Tejas to be Best in role for the IAF. even though Aircraft with much better performance may be available .

IAF can afford such aircraft as well, so why should our pilots be any less happy.
Saying that is one thing , proving that is more than just saying it.
There are finite resources on what we can have as defense expenditure. That much i know.

we want 42 squadrons , how much is that going to cost ?, can we pay for that ?
can we even go back to 39.5 squadrons with more expensive aircraft to replace the ones we lost ?

can all questions like that be answered.

Sure. An option between a LCA and Mig-21 would see LCA as the winner. But is LCA the only option?
So you want to replace a ASR compliant Tejas with a bigger more expensive foreign equivalent because you can pay for the difference ?

We are inducting much better aircraft while replacing the Mig-21s.
Not one aircraft for all roles , isn't that why the MKI is not our go to.
They all cost different amounts , have different payloads, they can be available at different dates.

I think in reality replacing the Mig-21's with bigger aircraft , that cost more and require more maintenance, is more complicated than you make it out to be.

Especially when the budget books have been balanced to expect the Tejas.
How much is the maintance cost on the mig-21 and how much is the cost on one of the larger twin engine.

More importantly, the Bison pilots are all senior pilots now. The young ones have moved away from the Migs and the remaining 80 old Mig-21s have been grounded. Young pilots are being given the MKIs followed by Rafale and PAKFA in the future. Old pilots will switch between the Mig-21 and Mig-29 squadrons as they have the experience to fly these aircraft along with moving to MKI or Rafale squadrons as WSOs.
I can't believe that without some source, it sounds way to simplified to ever be true.
Personnel assignments should be way more complicated in practice

All new aircraft are getting simulators. The old and experienced pilots still flying the Mig-21 don't need basic simulator training on the Bisons anymore.
New pilots use the Mig-21's also , i have heard of unnecessary crashes involving junior pilots.

Tejas squadrons can also be a great place for newer pilots to earn their stripes.

Last edited:

p2prada

Again as i understand it

Nothing in there suggests the Arjun was forced on the Army before testing and trials were complete.
The Army barely had 45 tanks by 2009 , and all of those were for testing.
Trials were complete. A lot of deficiencies were noted. DRDO claimed they will fix it but induction must go as planned.

If you notice USAF is also going to start induction of 224 F-35s before IOC, so the project does not go into more delays. Nevertheless Pentagon has postponed inductions by a year. This choice wasn't given to IA.

Again as i understand it

I don't see how there can be 4 in service already.
Especially considering since that press release , there has been a delay of one year at least.

And even if they were already in service , they would be initial production aircraft to achieve FOC standard.
which is standard practice.
Perhaps the IAF is flying the LSP models and not IOC models.

I fail to see your point really,
In retrospect a lot of thing look like "unacceptable risks" , in practice its pretty much par for the course.
Your never going to have risks and guarantee's your comfortable with , if you are then your more likely misinformed about the risks or guarantees .
Then LCA will stay in Sulur.

Two aircraft will be ready by March 2012 for induction.
Hmm. This was supposed to be June 2011 and December 2011 for 2 more. Seems the delay has affected even beyond R&D. Maybe I had the wrong info. It is worse.

Sure , by that measure one can say if the LCA was accepted before it met the current ASR it would also be success.

however
Using your own logic that inducting planes before they are ready is worse than not inducting.
Then the JF-17 would not be success.
Our requirements are higher than theirs. If they managed a APG-66 equivalent radar with some old datalink, then it is way ahead compared to LCA.

Currently they are very much stuck with planes that need new avionics and missiles , their operational readiness is very much in question NO ?
Maybe yes, maybe no. But the JF-17 program is advancing much more smoothly.

According to what you suggested prior in your question.

Well why not make the F-22B(Strike varriant) , why make the F-35 at all.
By all measures the F-22 has superior design.
It is simply expensive. That's why it's not happening.

Why go for a smaller single engine design in the first place , why would those pilots choose that over a bigger twin engine aircraft ?
Unlike Russian technology, the single engine American fighters are more reliable than twin engine Russian fighters. The F-35 as is today is more capable than the Rafale.

IAF has Mirage 2000 and MIg-29
They also have Rafale and MKI.

Why any of the Mirage or mig-29 pilots fly their planes over the Rafale and MKI ?
The old pilots will stick to the old aircraft. Some will move into new platforms for training. It is the young pilots who get new platforms.

according to what i think you suggest , they should scrap both the mirage and Mig-29 and get more Rafale and MKI.
Only if planes were grown on trees. Our resources and industrial complex does not allow for such a massive change. Only the Americans can do that and they did it too. They replaced the F-14s so quickly.

However IAF has expensive upgrade plans for both aircraft costing billions of dollars(more money then they have ever had to commit towards the LCA project). Why shouldn't all those resources be put into MKI and Rafale because that's what the pilots want and what we can afford.
You are not calculating the cost of training and maintenance.

I also think there may be logistical and financial reason for the Tejas to be Best in role for the IAF. even though Aircraft with much better performance may be available .
Let's not forget that LCA needs an entirely new infrastructure and supply chain. Also let's not forget HAL does not want to increase production beyond 8/year for LCA as compared to their more important MKI and MRCA projects.

Tejas is slightly better than the Bison, except in avionics maturity. The Mk1 is inferior to the Mirage-2000-5.

Btw, things are back to square 1. According to your article there will be 40 Mk1s. Ah! Well. The IAF knows what they are doing.

we want 42 squadrons , how much is that going to cost ?, can we pay for that ?
can we even go back to 39.5 squadrons with more expensive aircraft to replace the ones we lost ?

can all questions like that be answered.
We cannot because we don't have hard data. But IAF planners would have done this for the next 10 years.

So you want to replace a ASR compliant Tejas with a bigger more expensive foreign equivalent because you can pay for the difference ?
The right question would be whether if the LCA ASR is needed anymore. According to me, the LCA ASR is dead. It may no longer be required if better options are available. Look at the USAF, they are replacing everything with just 2 platforms.

Not one aircraft for all roles , isn't that why the MKI is not our go to.
They all cost different amounts , have different payloads, they can be available at different dates.

I think in reality replacing the Mig-21's with bigger aircraft , that cost more and require more maintenance, is more complicated than you make it out to be.
That's what is happening. The MKIs are replacing Mig-21s as they come.

I can't believe that without some source, it sounds way to simplified to ever be true.
Personnel assignments should be way more complicated in practice
ACM announced this in 2010. By 2011 all Mig-21 bison pilots will be experienced pilots and that the older Mig-21s which number in 80 would be grounded. I think they are going to be phased out this year and kept in storage.

New pilots use the Mig-21's also , i have heard of unnecessary crashes involving junior pilots.

Tejas squadrons can also be a great place for newer pilots to earn their stripes.
Only 2 since 2010. And only 1 junior pilot killed since 2011. The rest are all senior pilots.

Air chiefÂ’s MiG claim flies in face of facts - Indian Express
Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne raised many eyebrows when he said that young pilots were behind the recent MiG crashes in the country. An ageing fleet, the MiGs are often dubbed "flying coffins" for their crash record. While the Indian Air Force is obsessive about the secrecy of investigation into these crashes, an analysis of the 10 that have gone down over the past three years shows that only in two cases were pilots at the helm rookie flying officers, the others had all got well over 850 flying hours in their log books. Most of the crashes, in fact, were caused by technical defects and engine flame-outs — strengthening fears that India's MiG fleet, the first of whose aircraft was bought back in 1963, may have outlived its service life.

Recent data compiled by the IAF and shared with Air Headquarters too shows that pilot error is not the predominant cause of crashes. Analysing the causes behind 1,000 fighter crashes over the past several decades, the data attributes pilot error to 39 per cent of all crashes, saying technical faults are behind a slightly bigger number (39.5 per cent). Other crashes were attributed to bird hits (9 per cent), human error on ground (1.5 per cent) and faults in production by HAL (0.6 per cent).

December 3, 2011: MiG 21 'Bison' crashes near Sirsa in Haryana.

The pilot, who managed to eject safely, was Wing Commander J D Singh. Holding a Wing Commander rank means the officer has at least 1,200 hours of flying experience.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
This happened in 1991 and was announced as a software error because of problems with the clock.
U.S. GAO - Patriot Missile Defense: Software Problem Led to System Failure at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

The first supposed BM intercept in history is funny. The system detected a Scud and fired SAMs at it. It was a hit and became the first successful interception ever. Best part is there was no Scud. The system simply assumed there was a missile and fired. This was a software error too.
I still dont buy the US claim on it. We probably will never know the truth. Missiles have been there before, global time and global position wrt that global time are some concepts that should have been there earlier.

Honestly I thought the only problem with ABM's where the missile's maneuverability. Now I understand that even radar detection could get troublesome. Think if the highly advanced USA is having such problems, what will Indian system be capable of :facepalm:

Last edited:

p2prada

I still dont buy the US claim on it. We probably will never know the truth. Missiles have been there before, global time and global position wrt that global time are some concepts that should have been there earlier.

Honestly I thought the only problem with ABM's where the missile's maneuverability. Now I understand that even radar detection could get troublesome. Think if the highly advanced USA is having such problems, what will Indian system be capable of :facepalm:
The biggest problems in weapons systems comes from software errors.

Others can learn from such mistakes.

The patriot clock problems was repeated in Israel as well. It was first reported there. Considering the US is a democracy there is a a bit of reliability when it comes to such reports. Nobody can present false info in the Senate. Although if there is something they don't want to share, then they will not reveal.

SPIEZ

Country flag
The biggest problems in weapons systems comes from software errors.

Others can learn from such mistakes.

The patriot clock problems was repeated in Israel as well. It was first reported there. Considering the US is a democracy there is a a bit of reliability when it comes to such reports. Nobody can present false info in the Senate. Although if there is something they don't want to share, then they will not reveal.
That's because the requirements are never correct, and maintenance is never proper.
But do you really believe in an ABM system??????

p2prada

That's because the requirements are never correct, and maintenance is never proper.
But do you really believe in an ABM system??????
Yeah, I do. It is currently giving the Russian planners sleepless nights. The Americans are so far ahead in this.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Yeah, I do. It is currently giving the Russian planners sleepless nights. The Americans are so far ahead in this.
Well, we ll know the answer only when Pak fires 1 at India.
I personally believe in DEW, maybe not practical now, but couple of decaeds later it will definitely be there.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Well, IMHO any ABM shield with ANYTHING less than 100% effectiveness is not a great defense at all when you are facing the Pakis.
If Pakis fires 10 nuke-tipped missiles and Indian ABM has 80% effectiveness, it means at least 2 missiles will get through. Can you imagine the devastation that 2 30-40 kt nuclear warheads can do to any part of urban India (or a military buildup area)?
However, I think we are digressing from the Pak-FA discussion.

Is there are news about the 2-seater/ 1-seater breakups for IAF and what the roles for these two types are going to be?

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
166 single seater PAKFAs and 48 twin seater FGFAs.
That number of ~220 is the current "count" as per IAF - right? But that only talks about the first batch. If the PAK-FA are going to replace all MKIs and maybe even some of the other types (naval, Mig-29Ks etc) then there should be even more ones - I read somewhere that the estimated numbers were >300 for a mix of PAK-FA and FGFA. Any updates on that?

Also, what will be the roles of a 2-seater FGFA with a dedicated WSO - which the IAF likes currently - more of a strike role? Or will it be a mixed squadron - a few 2 seater versions that act as a squad leader letting the WSO take command of a battles pace while the rest are single seater PAK-FAs?

p2prada

That number of ~220 is the current "count" as per IAF - right? But that only talks about the first batch. If the PAK-FA are going to replace all MKIs and maybe even some of the other types (naval, Mig-29Ks etc) then there should be even more ones - I read somewhere that the estimated numbers were >300 for a mix of PAK-FA and FGFA. Any updates on that?
There was no such report from what I know. The 250-300 was just a requirement mentioned by MoD. ACM Browne announced that 214 will be procured. Of course these will be only initial numbers because we will need to phase out MKIs by the time 214 are operational.

Also, what will be the roles of a 2-seater FGFA with a dedicated WSO - which the IAF likes currently - more of a strike role? Or will it be a mixed squadron - a few 2 seater versions that act as a squad leader letting the WSO take command of a battles pace while the rest are single seater PAK-FAs?
The same as F-16s and F-15Es. Mudmoving and air superiority combined. The MKIs handle both as of today. So, you can say the 2 seater will be an extension of the MKIs role.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles