Sukhoi PAK FA

bhramos

Country flag
The helmet of a new generation of pilots PAK FA will be established before the end of this year

The helmet of a new generation of pilots PAK FA will be established before the end of this year, it is engaged in the development of NPP Zvezda. Told Interfax-AVN CEO and chief designer of the company Sergey Pozdnyakov.
"In the conduct of flight tests of fifth-generation fighter uses regular helmet pilot ZS-7. Our challenge is to the end of the year to complete work on the ZS-10 - the helmet for the new aircraft," - said Pozdnyakov.
According to him, the challenge is to make a helmet cheaper than existing as well as long, up to 15 years life. "Working on the new helmet, we examined the helmets made in France and Israel, but to be honest, my feeling is, they resemble plastic toys, the term of which only a year or two," - said.
According to him, foreign aviation helmets can not stand those dynamic pressure under which the Russian working Ejection seats.
Another requirement to the helmet - weight. "What matters is that the helmet was light and not hung on his head. Because the targeting system, which will be mounted on a new helmet, is assumed to be rigid fixation of the helmet on his head," - said Pozdnyakov.

http://www.vpk-news.ru/news/actual/shlem

bhramos

Country flag
The new Helmet-mounted Display and Targeting system mock up demonstrated at the last MAKS.

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
They have a flying prototype. Is that not enough?

Yes. Europe and India have used composites to a very large extent. It is the F-22 which has lesser composites in comparison. India has plans of building much more than 300 LCAs with over 95% in composites. So all of this is just a hiccup.
LCA has a bubble canopy.
You claim the LCA has a transparent one piece bubble canopy made of polycarbonate advanced plastics material? Source please

You expect to build 300 planes with over 95% composite content in the below facility - are you serious? Has the first LCA squadron been inducted after nearly 27 years of development?
You expect me to consider this a demonstration of Indian capability?

The F-22 is a completed design. We need to wait atleast 5 years maybe 10 to know more about the PAKFA.
You expect the US aviation industry to stand still for five to ten years while the PAK-FA is built?

Last edited:

EagleOne

Need to develop f-35 like helmet for pak fa for the final flight test

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
DBC..The HAL is creating 3 new manufacturing facilities all over India and the construction work has been going on. The HAL is expanding even in its headquarters in Bangalore. So I think all facilities will be ready when the series production starts. And that is the assembly plant for the LCA which is more like an make shift arrangement.

The HAL lucknow and HAL Kanpur will also help and we dont get pictures from all these places. These will be the major manufacturing and assembly plants of the future for the HAL.

http://www.ada.gov.in/activities/lca/lca.html

The ADA site claims that LCA has bubble canopy.

A bubble canopy provides excellent all-round view to the pilot, which is very critical during close air-to-air combat.The advanced multi-mode radar takes care of detection, tracking, terrain avoidance and delivery of guided weapons. The track-while-scan feature keeps track of multiple targets and also allows simultaneous multiple target engagement. Pulse-Doppler gives the look-down shoot-down capability. Ground mapping feature, frequency agility and other ECCM techniques make the radar truly state-of-the-art.
Quoted from the site.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
It is still in development and that is just a mock up. No other pictures are available and they want the helmet to hold back the head in position because the Russian ejection seats fire with more power to escape the blast of the aircraft if it turns into a fireball.

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
DBC..The HAL is creating 3 new manufacturing facilities all over India and the construction work has been going on. The HAL is expanding even in its headquarters in Bangalore. So I think all facilities will be ready when the series production starts. And that is the assembly plant for the LCA which is more like an make shift arrangement.

The HAL lucknow and HAL Kanpur will also help and we dont get pictures from all these places. These will be the major manufacturing and assembly plants of the future for the HAL.

http://www.ada.gov.in/activities/lca/lca.html

The ADA site claims that LCA has bubble canopy.

Quoted from the site.
Thanks Satish you're my hero:) , now that's more like it!
Is HAL expanding for LCA specifically or for its component manufacturing activity for commercial airplanes?
I meant one piece bubble canopy like the one on the F-16. About thermal curing there was a DARPA sponsored study in 1994 the results of the study itself isn't public domain but it concluded EB curing was cheaper and more beneficial and initiated programs such as IATA in Lockheed.

Last edited:

plugwater

New anti-G suits being developed for PAK-FA

The research and production corporation Zvezda has made trial samples of the anti-G suit and other life-support systems for pilots flying G5 fighter jets, and are testing them, Zvezda General Director and General Designer Sergei Pozdnyakov told Interfax-AVN.

"The anti-G suit, the partial-pressure helmet and the oxygen mask are being developed as part of a plan to create the G5 fighter jet. The centrifuge testing has got underway. The entire testing program will last until the end of the year," Pozdnyakov said.

"The aircraft designers have created a super-maneuverable plane.

But the pilot must have a reliable life support system at his disposal to cope with maneuvers and g-loads. The life support system under development will allow the pilot to conduct air battles of any complexity," he said.

The anti-G suit's primary mission is to prevent the outflow of blood from the head to the feet and to ease the crushing strain. The pilot won't lose consciousness if such measures are taken," said Pozdnyakov.

http://www.russiandefenseblog.org/?p=1118

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Thanks Satish you're my hero:) , now that's more like it!
Is HAL expanding for LCA specifically or for its component manufacturing activity for commercial airplanes?
I meant one piece bubble canopy like the one on the F-16. About thermal curing there was a DARPA sponsored study in 1994 the results of the study itself isn't public domain but it concluded EB curing was cheaper and more beneficial and initiated programs such as IATA in Lockheed.
No DBC...the LCA does not sport a single piece canopy as the F 16 or any other american fighter does as they are still skeptical about the injuries that occured in the USAF because of it. Remenber the F 16 pilots snapping their necks while ejecting out of the F 16s by hitting their heads on the canopy. The PAK-FA might field it as there is much talk about developing a new helmet to withstand the G forces. But this is purely my speculation.

The Different components are manufactured in all plants of HAL, but the major expansion for manufacture is the Nasik as they were the ones assembling the MiG 21s and will also assemble the LCA along with the HAL Bangalore and HAL Kanpur. so we have nearly 4 assembly plants that can churn out atleast 40 aircrafts annually. If you want you can google it or just tell me I will give you the links.

And about composites, I never denied EB was the most economical way. But we wont have problems with that as HAL has a huge workforce and the Autolay software developed for the manufacture of the composites might help bring down the costs.

http://www.ada.gov.in/others/news/events/AutolayInfosys/autolayinfosys.html

And the only problem faced by EB is the radiation that it releases to the workers around. You might say it is safe but whatever you do you cant reduce the harm caused by the X-Ray and UV light(mostly used for curing process and photoinitiator) which the HAL is also skeptical about. And the air entrapment(porosity) reduces the strength of the composite if even a single part of the modelling machines F's up. Then the whole component is a waste. EB is like modelling with a huge modelling clay and is placed in the Chamber to be polymerised by the X ray or the UV light. The Autoclave is like sheet and liquid placed in layers and cured. EB is more economical...but installation and training to operate is more. Autoclave is simple and a tested technology. And you know the Indian mind-set.

And the avionics like the mission computer, FBW, FCS, and the compsite composition which was a spin-off from the LCA will be used in the PAK-FA. The EB and other tools that were developed for the F 22 made its cost ridiculously high for the first batch, this risk cannot be afforded by either the Russians or the Indians. We aint as rich as you are.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
There is only one way we can start using EB curing technology...That is if US will sell its EB curing unit to India or Russia for building a rival for the best aircraft it has got in its Airforce...sounds ridiculous dosent it? The KNAAPO and HAL might research and find a way to make an EB unit, but doing it right now will increase the research cost of the PAK-FA. I dont think this is advisable to us right now. Eventhough the Heat-Moisture curing technique is a manpower intensive one, the Fresh engineer in HAL is paid $1000 and takes home $800 happily. Can the workers in Lockheed or Boeing in US be happy with it? I dont think so. The 6 competitors are fighting there to just open one of their manufacturing units here as it is one of the easiest way to enter into the Indian knowledge pool at a very low cost. An F 18 E/F costs $80 million to produce and sell in the US. But in India the cost is $50 million per peice. Then think of the amount saved in personnel costs in US when compared to India.

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
No DBC...the LCA does not sport a single piece canopy as the F 16 or any other american fighter does as they are still skeptical about the injuries that occured in the USAF because of it. Remenber the F 16 pilots snapping their necks while ejecting out of the F 16s by hitting their heads on the canopy. The PAK-FA might field it as there is much talk about developing a new helmet to withstand the G forces. But this is purely my speculation.
uh ah! thats not right canopy separation happens first a few seconds before seat ejection, survival rate after jet ejection is about 94%.
Of the injuries that do occur 50% are neck injuries due to helmet inertial and the force exerted on the neck during ejection(helmet rotation).
These types of injuries are not specific to the one piece bubble canopy.

Last edited:

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
uh ah! thats not right canopy separation happens first a few seconds before seat ejection, survival rate after jet ejection from American fighter aircrafts is is about 94%.
Of the injuries that do occur 50% are neck injuries due to helmet inertial and the force exerted on the neck during ejection(helmet rotation).
These types of injuries are not specific to the one piece bubble canopy.
But skepticism exists. And we havent devised a way of embedding explosive inside the glass canopy like you guys have managed to do in your aircraft.
It is still one of the reasons. Or we havent been able to do it yet. We need to see it done. And with the PAK FA prototype having a sliding system I dont think it might be done. We have to wait and see what happens. The Russians might have devised a way to do it and I dont know. As I tell the PAK-FA secrecy levels are like the ones in the Soviet era. It is hard to get the information out.

p2prada

Here is a 2008 sample of placement from IIT(Roorkee) India's premiere technical institute.
I can provide data from 2009 for Roorkee and other IIT campus in India an insignificant portion of IIT
graduates work for the DRDO or ISRO most end up in private local or multinational firms. Once again you make outrageous claims.
IIT is an overhyped institution. The students who get in are brilliant but the quality of research conducted there is hopeless, that goes for the rest of the country too. You only judge an institution by the quality of research and India has a dearth of that.

The only true research institution that India has is the IISC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Institute_of_Science

More importantly, a huge percentage of IIT graduates take up their Masters In Business Administration rather than Masters In Science. This is because there is a lack of quality engineering jobs in India that pay well. Also, a lot of IITians take up lucrative jobs early on just to make a lot of money. So, the pay packet offered is lucrative and are merely lured by greed. Once they finish working a year or 2 in these MNCs, they quit their jobs and start looking for more productive jobs. So, even that greed is temporary.

My friend has an engineering degree in communications, he worked at IBM for a year and a half, quit the job and is now working at ADE( Aeronautical development establishment a wing of DRDO).

Also, these graduates are quite young to work in these fields too. It is because 20 year olds have difficulty in keeping secrets. Same thing in the US and Europe. The Indian Govt has maintained a cut off rate of 32 years after which a scientist cannot join any govt defence institution. So, the defence industries mainly tap the ones who finish their Masters and Phd.

Also, the applicants to DRDO and ISRO are always full. They don't take just anybody. They look at your credentials before taking you in and that is not just academic.

My friend worked with a private aerospace company in India which was tasked with designing and developing the Saras aircraft and also a military UAV which I will not name. He worked on the rudders for both of them and did so well that he was invited by the parent company to finish the development.

He came from a non-IIT background and was better than the IITians working there. A group of German scientists from EADS came to the facility for a presentation of the project. They came for a presentation on the rudder of the military UAV. Once the presentation was done my friend asked if they had any questions. The first question they asked was," Sir, your work is brilliant and you look like a school kid? How old are you?" My friend said he just graduated and this was his first job and that he is 22 years old. The Germans were stumped. They said they had never seen a guy with only an undergraduate degree doing such a high level of designing work.

He will soon be flying to the US for a Masters degree at the Michigan State University on a scholarship. And he is coming back after the graduation too.

So, don't underestimate us. Knowledge and Learning is beyond a simple college degree and everyone who is in the field of research knows that.

Heck all those who finish Engineering will barely know a thing about it. It is true for everybody even a month after graduation.

LCA is 40% composites?how many LCA's has India built so far 4??Building four prototypes is easy - mass producing 400 is a huge challenge.
Here is some perspective HAL's capacity to license produce Su 30 MKI's is 10 to 14 annually.
Now that's silly. ALH is 75% composites and that did not stop us from making a 100 and another 500 on order. It is not a challenge. We have been doing it for over 2 decades now. Carbon composite fabrication and assembly is taken for granted here.

Right now the level is such that pretty soon people will start asking for carbon composite cups and spoons too. :D

p2prada

But skepticism exists. And we havent devised a way of embedding explosive inside the glass canopy like you guys have managed to do in your aircraft.
It is still one of the reasons. Or we havent been able to do it yet. We need to see it done. And with the PAK FA prototype having a sliding system I dont think it might be done. We have to wait and see what happens. The Russians might have devised a way to do it and I dont know. As I tell the PAK-FA secrecy levels are like the ones in the Soviet era. It is hard to get the information out.
I doubt the PAKFA will get a single piece canopy this quickly. The technology that goes into it is massive and it simply increases costs. I agree about the PAKFA's secrecy. The Russians come running out with anything they have developed in the recent years not related to the PAKFA. Seems like the PAKFA will be shrouded in mystery for a long time.

@DBC

I forgot to mention one more point. The list you posted is campus placement. DRDO and ISRO do not do campus placement because of state policy. Students can only walk in to the companies of their choice. Also research institutes do not target undergraduates as I have already mentioned.

Campus placement means the companies walk into the universities and offer jobs to the students.

Global Defence

Articles