Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
The first 18 Su-30s India received from Russia have been retired after a decade of service.
only one question when where suk-30 where first inducted and they have life cycle of just one decade ?.And if yes so then time running too fast , it`s like yesterday only when suk-30 where inducted to Indian air force. on contrary whats use of having an air craft which has life cycle of just 10 years. we are not rich country and i do not think so we can afford to retire every fighter plane after 10 ayers of service ,this plane must at least server for minimum of 20 years

AJSINGH

only one question when where suk-30 where first inducted and they have life cycle of just one decade ?.And if yes so then time running too fast , it`s like yesterday only when suk-30 where inducted to Indian air force. on contrary whats use of having an air craft which has life cycle of just 10 years. we are not rich country and i do not think so we can afford to retire every fighter plane after 10 ayers of service ,this plane must at least server for minimum of 20 years
those Su you are talking about were the MK standard and not the MKI standard , so Russia gave us those Su to train pilot to operate the new MKI , and then those Su were give back to Russia.
In 1996, after 2 years of evaluation and negotiations, India decided to purchase Su-30MKI aircraft. India signed a US$1.462 billion deal with the Sukhoi Corporation on 30 November 1996 for the delivery of 50 Su-30 aircraft. These aircraft were to be delivered in five batches. The first batch were 8 Su-30MKs , the basic version of Su-30. The second batch were to be 10 Su-30Ks with French and Israeli avionics. The third batch were to be 10 Su-30MKIs featuring canard foreplanes. The fourth batch of 12 Su 30MKIs and final batch of 10 Su-30MKIs aircraft all were to have the AL-31FP turbofans. In 2000, another agreement was signed allowing the license production of 140 Su-30MKIs by HAL in India. The deal combined license production with full technology transfer and hence was called a 'Deep License'. The MKI production was planned to be done in four phases: Phase I, II, III and IV respectively.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
NRJ,

Strategy page is in the list of banned sources here on DFI as it is considered to be not a good source for such info. I would suggest you get another source for this story to back it up.

nrj

Country flag
NRJ,

Strategy page is in the list of banned sources here on DFI as it is considered to be not a good source for such info. I would suggest you get another source for this story to back it up.
I haven't made any story. I've just posted news I found. I don't endorse it so won't back it up. Would delete it if required.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
I haven't made any story. I've just posted news I found. I don't endorse it so won't back it up. Would delete it if required.
Well we know you havent made stories. Strategy page sure does have a fancy for all that..so we just dont entertain their stories.
Damn i am not able to find the thread which lists all such sites.

Patriot

Country flag
Dynamatic delivers first sets of air frame structures for Sukhoi 30 MKI from Nasik
BY :Money Life

Dynamatic Technologies Ltd, the engineering products manufacturer, said it started deliveries of first set of air frame structures for India's largest defense program, Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter bomber, from its new facility in Nasik.

The company recently commenced the transfer of assembly work of air frame structures for the Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter bomber from its production facilities in Bengaluru to a new facility provided by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) at Nasik.

The assembly transfer, which is expected to be complete by August 2010, will enable Dynamatic to offer greater production support to HAL due to its strategic location at the customer's doorstep, it said in a regulatory filing.

The space freed at Dynamatic's aerospace production facilities in Bengaluru, by the assembly transfer, will be utilised by the company for its export initiatives.

http://idrw.org/?p=2078

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Su-30MKI production

So I read in the Times of India that 24 MKIs were delivered by HAL last year and 28 are expected this year. Wasn't the rate at a dozen? Can someone list all the MKI squadrons please... at 15 per squadron there should be two coming online this year. I don't see NIIP keeping up with those orders with the backlog they have.

Quickgun Murugan

So I read in the Times of India that 24 MKIs were delivered by HAL last year and 28 are expected this year. Wasn't the rate at a dozen? Can someone list all the MKI squadrons please... at 15 per squadron there should be two coming online this year. I don't see NIIP keeping up with those orders with the backlog they have.
Even I am finding that news hard to digest . I would always take times of india with a grain of salt. The last HAL chairman was talking about MKI production line, it was 10-12 fighters per year.

thakur_ritesh

Even I am finding that news hard to digest . I would always take times of india with a grain of salt. The last HAL chairman was talking about MKI production line, it was 10-12 fighters per year.
absolutely!

and for the precise reason the news of additional 42 su30MKIs being cleared by the CCS is still a suspect, and seriously if anyone was to break that news first it would have been either nitin or vishnu on ndtv which is more or less the official media mouth piece of our present government setup.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
No.2 Sqn Winged Arrows (Tezpur)
No.8 Sqn Eight Pursoots (Bareilly)
No.20 Sqn Lightning (Pune)
No.24 Sqn Hawks (Bareilly)
No.30 Sqn Rhinos (Pune)
No.31 Sqn Lions (Halwara)

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Units/Squadrons/292-Squadrons.html
OK, 6 squadrons, there were 5 at the beginning of 2009. So there should be at least 7 operational early this year but it is not there. HAL chairman says no, so ToI must be full of it. So why doesn't HAL start a second line? They have to make 160-70 aircraft by 2016-17 to meet that timetable which is 24 a year. ToI must have surmised that by the date. Completion at the current rate of production is 2023-24.

SHASH2K2

We are too slow in production. at least in this regard we should try and emulate Chinese to mass produce these planes .

Quickgun Murugan

absolutely!

and for the precise reason the news of additional 42 su30MKIs being cleared by the CCS is still a suspect, and seriously if anyone was to break that news first it would have been either nitin or vishnu on ndtv which is more or less the official media mouth piece of our present government setup.
Offtopic: Times of India broke the news that dhoni was being sacked as captain and would be replaced by sehwag after WC debacle.

Just quoting this to cite the credibility issues of ToI. That editor needs to be sacked. I doubt even Russia can produce 28 MKI fighters per year. Probably ToI wanted to give a knee-jerk reaction to Pakistan's F-16 B-52 arrival.

thakur_ritesh

Offtopic: Times of India broke the news that dhoni was being sacked as captain and would be replaced by sehwag after WC debacle.

Just quoting this to cite the credibility issues of ToI. That editor needs to be sacked. I doubt even Russia can produce 28 MKI fighters per year. Probably ToI wanted to give a knee-jerk reaction to Pakistan's F-16 B-52 arrival.
sorry to continue OT discussion.

they are sensationalist to the core, or better termed as aajtak's english version!

thakur_ritesh

now look at the quality of reporting:

The almost Rs 15,000 crore order for an additional 42 Sukhoi-30 MKI fighters would add up the total number of these modern Russian fighters for Indian Air Force to 272.
followed by:

The present order for 42 fighters was originally supposed to be 40, but two more were added to the order book to make up for the two crashed fighters.
this chap first calculates 272, then say 2 additional were ordered to adjust for the 2 jets that crashed so the final number should be 270 and by no means 272, but then its ToI!

Quickgun Murugan

now look at the quality of reporting:

followed by:

this chap first calculates 272, then say 2 additional were ordered to adjust for the 2 jets that crashed so the final number should be 270 and by no means 272, but then its ToI!
It says Rs 350 crore per plane. That $ 76 million per MKI ;-D Enough said.

ppgj

at 15 per squadron there should be two coming online this year.
a squadron in IAF means 18 aircrafts.

and here is the "fleet strength" - updated as of 19th oct 2009.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Units/Others/281-Fleet.html

added later :

just to clarify -

only Lohegaon (pune) and Bareilly have full strength bases with 3 and 2 squadrons respectively.

tezpur and halwara are being in the process of being set up as proper bases.

there are plans for Chabua (assam) and jodhpur (rajasthan) too for basing the SU 30 MKIs.

some links of interest in this -

http://www.domain-b.com/defence/general/20090613_iaf_inducts.html

http://www.india-defence.com/reports/4082

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4432

Last edited:

Neil

Country flag
We are too slow in production. at least in this regard we should try and emulate Chinese to mass produce these planes .
dude...i thnk our production is slow bt hav heard in recent times....tht every squadron of su-30mki in INDIAN AIR FORCES is unique in its own way....i mean they r trying to make it into blocks with each block more advanced and unique thn the last 1....so itz better to produce slow thn mass produce

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Indian Air Force to Buy Additional 42 Sukhoi-30 MKI Fighters

The Cabinet Committee on Security earlier this month quietly cleared one of the biggest defence orders of recent times. The almost Rs 15,000 crore order for an additional 42 Sukhoi-30 MKI fighters would add up the total number of these modern Russian fighters for Indian Air Force to 272. When the entire Sukhoi-30 MKIs, including the 42, are delivered to IAF by around 2018, it would become the single largest type of fighters in service, marking a huge technological transition from the dominance of MIG-21 fighters today.

plugwater

Lets say we have a production rate of 24 MKI per year and HAL is looking to increase by 28 from next year. So why is the timeline to induct all 270 is 2018? Even if we go by the same rate of 24 aircraft per year we can easily finish all 270 by 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles