Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Compared to Mini Uzi (1980) and MAC-10 (1970), definitely a cutting edge weapon.
But compared to MP-9 (2000), it still has a long way to catch up.
Manufacturing defect or its by design? Gotta do better if they intend to replace mp9s in future with asmi especially since mp9s are silenced

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
During my yatra to Somnath Mahadev in past, talking about 2010 timeframes, i used to see this a lot in hands of police there. Other notable rifle was of course 1A SLR with maroon handguards. INSAS and AKs were there but in hands of paramilitary like guys.
Edit - i mean SMLE in jungle carbine version, i don't exactly remember if they were desi Ishapore 2A or 2A1 based chambered in 7.62 NATO or usual .303 ones but they sure were short with that funnel type flash hider.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
During my yatra to Somnath Mahadev in past, talking about 2010 timeframes, i used to see this a lot in hands of police there. Other notable rifle was of course 1A SLR with maroon handguards. INSAS and AKs were there but in hands of paramilitary like guys.
Edit - i mean SMLE in jungle carbine version, i don't exactly remember if they were desi Ishapore 2A or 2A1 based chambered in 7.62 NATO or usual .303 ones but they sure were short with that funnel type flash hider.
If you remember round same time there used to be a jeep patrol with Bren n somnath I saw it a couple of times.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 216213
Aise kaise hoga Lokesh Babu...
>based on most likely Sterling SMG's "trigger mechanism"
?? reminder that Sterling was open bolt SMG and its trigger mechanism is just a spring loaded sear that drops down when a user pulls trigger, and a secondary semi-auto sear that gets actuated when the SMG is put on that mode.

ASMI is rather a closed bolt, straight blowback SMG and high chance it incorporated typical Kalashnikov style trigger mechanism (reduced in scale-size) that we put in MSMC//JVPC as on that one it is also Safe-Full Auto-Semi Auto fashion.

Sure it's possible to turn it into standard Safe-Semi-Full Auto fashion that the west typically follows but i guess since Sterling was in S-A-R and AKs that we use en masse are also S-A-R our guys may have thought of keeping it similar keeping training considerations in mind.

Manufacturing defect or its by design? Gotta do better if they intend to replace mp9s in future with asmi especially since mp9s are silenced
ASMI was already shown with threaded muzzle, it is highly likely to get suppressors on it for those kind of roles.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
>based on most likely Sterling SMG's "trigger mechanism"
?? reminder that Sterling was open bolt SMG and its trigger mechanism is just a spring loaded sear that drops down when a user pulls trigger, and a secondary semi-auto sear that gets actuated when the SMG is put on that mode.

ASMI is rather a closed bolt, straight blowback SMG and high chance it incorporated typical Kalashnikov style trigger mechanism (reduced in scale-size) that we put in MSMC//JVPC as on that one it is also Safe-Full Auto-Semi Auto fashion.

Sure it's possible to turn it into standard Safe-Semi-Full Auto fashion that the west typically follows but i guess since Sterling was in S-A-R and AKs that we use en masse are also S-A-R our guys may have thought of keeping it similar keeping training considerations in mind.
Maybe they're using closed bolt design but can't see any hammer in this particular pic; neither in fired position nor in cocked position.
That's why assumed it to be open bolt
IMG_20230730_161035.jpg

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Interesting...that conical flash hider is orginal. When Birmingham Small Arms factory shortened SMLE Rifle No. 4 then this particular flash hider was designed by them because .303 using cordite powder from short barrel was quite flashbang-ish.

Whoever manufactured jungle carbine, be it BSA in Britain or Lithgow in Australia or Ishapore in India all uses this same style of conical flash hider.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Maybe they're using closed bolt design but can't see any hammer in this particular pic; neither in fired position nor in cocked position.
That's why assumed it to be open bolt
View attachment 216469
it's housed inside lower receiver part of course which they shown as dark part and not showing all intrinsic details
otherwise see it in action yourself

Lonewarrior

Country flag
@Lonewarrior @Johny_Baba I thought you fellas will spot this one and tell something more about it.
It had been already posted by someone in this thread or may be in the DRDO one if I'm not wrong. Can't find it now
There was this pic of SSS Defence guys showing their sniper rifle to a bunch of people and in the background a Grand Power Stribog was there on the wall.

Was that you @NoobWannaLearn ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles