Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Could be true I have seen them give this gun 0 attension after there ar series was shown kinda sad
Lol...they had dreams of beating AK-203 to be the next service rifle.

Now that Army's order book for 7.62x39mm guns are completely filled with AK-203, CAPF already ordering bunch of TAR/Ghatak and state police rarely using something other than INSAS...they've no one left to sell this AK-mag accepting 7.62x39mm assault rifle in substantial numbers. And if they try to participate in let's say some African rifle tender then there always be a NORINCO way cheaper than whatever there'll be pitching. And as for civilian market, this abomination stands no chance in front of Murican standards.
So that's pretty much the whole saga

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Lol...they had dreams of beating AK-203 to be the next service rifle.

Now that Army's order book for 7.62x39mm guns are completely filled with AK-203, CAPF already ordering bunch of TAR/Ghatak and state police rarely using something other than INSAS...they've no one left to sell this AK-mag accepting 7.62x39mm assault rifle in substantial numbers. And if they try to participate in let's say some African rifle tender then there always be a NORINCO way cheaper than whatever there'll be pitching. And as for civilian market, this abomination stands no chance in front of Murican standards.
So that's pretty much the whole saga
So this is pretty much down the drain sad state lf affairs hopefully there m4 survives

Hari Sud

Country flag
Just to change the subject ........ What type of Sniper rifles does the Indian Army has? How effective are these? Can our Army personnel match up to the world standards?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
What type of Sniper rifles does the Indian Army has?
A sh*t ton of old Designated Marksman Rifles (DMRs are not sniper rifles), some slightly better DMRs and a handful assortment of old and new bolt-action "true" sniper rifles
How effective are these?
1. SVD Dragunov : Inaccurate, can't mount modern optics, shortage of proper ammunition...obsolete
2. Galatz : Even more inaccurate than SVD (long stroke), problem with optics...pretty much obsolete
3. PSG-1 : Accurate, can't mount modern optics, no after sale support from manufacturer...will work, but not for very long.
4. SSG-300 : Accurate, can't mount modern optics...obsolete
5. SP-66 : Accurate, can't mount modern optics...obsolete
6. TRG-42 : Modern
7. Scorpio TCT : Modern
Can our Army personnel match up to the world standards?
Nope; only SFs and semi-SFs match up to world standards.

For a quite long period of time we followed the Russian doctrine of warfighting which generally favours a slightly accurate semi-auto rifle to harass/supress enemy at medium ranges, not an extremely accurate bolt action rifle to take out HVTs at long range. So we don't have any proper sniper school to train them. Even those from SFs who have world class training lacks all the cutting edge equipments needs to utilize a sniper rifle to its full potential. On top of that we have a requirement of some 5000 modern sniper rifles and it's pending since years.

P.S. I know it's depressing to read all these but khuda ka waasta, don't say "this is why we should privatize Indian army"

Hari Sud

Country flag
A sh*t ton of old Designated Marksman Rifles (DMRs are not sniper rifles), some slightly better DMRs and a handful assortment of old and new bolt-action "true" sniper rifles

1. SVD Dragunov : Inaccurate, can't mount modern optics, shortage of proper ammunition...obsolete
2. Galatz : Even more inaccurate than SVD (long stroke), problem with optics...pretty much obsolete
3. PSG-1 : Accurate, can't mount modern optics, no after sale support from manufacturer...will work, but not for very long.
4. SSG-300 : Accurate, can't mount modern optics...obsolete
5. SP-66 : Accurate, can't mount modern optics...obsolete
6. TRG-42 : Modern
7. Scorpio TCT : Modern

Nope; only SFs and semi-SFs match up to world standards.

For a quite long period of time we followed the Russian doctrine of warfighting which generally favours a slightly accurate semi-auto rifle to harass/supress enemy at medium ranges, not an extremely accurate bolt action rifle to take out HVTs at long range. So we don't have any proper sniper school to train them. Even those from SFs who have world class training lacks all the cutting edge equipments needs to utilize a sniper rifle to its full potential. On top of that we have a requirement of some 5000 modern sniper rifles and it's pending since years.

P.S. I know it's depressing to read all these but khuda ka waasta, don't say "this is why we should privatize Indian army"
‘Sir; the Google info below differs with you.

Army’s best sniper rifles.

Rifles Action and Caliber Service Life
1.Dragunov7.62×54mmR Cartridge, Rotating Bolt1990 – Present
2.Lee Enfield .303 No 4 Mark 1(T).303 British Cartridge, Bolt Action1947 – 1990
3.IMI Galil5.56×45mm NATO and 7.62×51mm NATO Cartridge, Rotating Bolt2002 – Present
4.Steyr SSG 697.62×51mm NATO, .243 Winchester, .22-250 Remington (SSG 69 PII), Bolt-ActionMid-1980s – Present
5.Heckler & Koch PSG17.62×51mm NATO Cartridge, Semi-AutomaticEarly 1980s – Present
6.Mauser SP66 Sniper7.62×51mm NATO cartridges, Rotating boltNil – Present
7.Sig Sauer SSG 30007.62×51mm NATO cartridges, Bolt Action2009 – Present
8.Barrett M95.50 BMG (12.7×99mm),Bolt Action2019 – Present
9.Beretta Scorpio TGT.338 Lapua Magnum (8.6×70 mm or 8.58×70 mm)2019 – Present
10.Sako TRG.338 Lapua Magnum, .308 Winchester (7.62×51mm NATO), Bolt Action2021 – Present

Could you check what is right and what is wrong.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
another proof of versatiliy of AR-18 design, this time in SIG-550 style long stroke gas piston system with forward mounted, piston-wrapped recoil spring.

Kel-Tec, Palmetto State Armory and Ruger are some 'proletarian' firearms manufacturer in amreeka after many are going crazy in terms of price.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
‘Sir; the Google info below differs with you.

Army’s best sniper rifles.

Rifles Action and Caliber Service Life
1.Dragunov7.62×54mmR Cartridge, Rotating Bolt1990 – Present
2.Lee Enfield .303 No 4 Mark 1(T).303 British Cartridge, Bolt Action1947 – 1990
3.IMI Galil5.56×45mm NATO and 7.62×51mm NATO Cartridge, Rotating Bolt2002 – Present
4.Steyr SSG 697.62×51mm NATO, .243 Winchester, .22-250 Remington (SSG 69 PII), Bolt-ActionMid-1980s – Present
5.Heckler & Koch PSG17.62×51mm NATO Cartridge, Semi-AutomaticEarly 1980s – Present
6.Mauser SP66 Sniper7.62×51mm NATO cartridges, Rotating boltNil – Present
7.Sig Sauer SSG 30007.62×51mm NATO cartridges, Bolt Action2009 – Present
8.Barrett M95.50 BMG (12.7×99mm),Bolt Action2019 – Present
9.Beretta Scorpio TGT.338 Lapua Magnum (8.6×70 mm or 8.58×70 mm)2019 – Present
10.Sako TRG.338 Lapua Magnum, .308 Winchester (7.62×51mm NATO), Bolt Action2021 – Present

Could you check what is right and what is wrong.
So Bhai mere, if ultimately you had to post "Google" then why did you bother asking here on the forum?

1. He writes Dragunov as a British rifle!

2. Use your common sense. How can a rifle from 1947 be better than freaking 8 sniper rifles designed from 80s to 10s!? Moreover we don't even use three naught three

4. Army don't even have these, only CAPFs use them

8. This is not even a sniper rifle, it's an anti-material rifle

9-10. Again if you have some common sense, how come two most recent rifles from 2019-21 be the lowest ranking!?

Please don't follow people who themselves claim that they don't have much to do with facts, as compared to imaginations
Screenshot_2023-07-22-18-10-27-58_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg

Hari Sud

Country flag
So Bhai mere, if ultimately you had to post "Google" then why did you bother asking here on the forum?

1. He writes Dragunov as a British rifle!

2. Use your common sense. How can a rifle from 1947 be better than freaking 8 sniper rifles designed from 80s to 10s!? Moreover we don't even use three naught three

4. Army don't even have these, only CAPFs use them

8. This is not even a sniper rifle, it's an anti-material rifle

9-10. Again if you have some common sense, how come two most recent rifles from 2019-21 be the lowest ranking!?

Please don't follow people who themselves claim that they don't have much to do with facts, as compared to imaginations
View attachment 215552
‘Try not to dispute anything. When I saw your post, doubt came on my mind about your post. Only then I began to Google and then I discovered that your post is utterly butterfly wrong.

My question earlier was to find in the direction of SAKO has arrived in large numbers or not……

The moral of this story is not to run to hastily post until you know something more than others.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
‘Try not to dispute anything. When I saw your post, doubt came on my mind about your post. Only then I began to Google and then I discovered that your post is utterly butterfly wrong.

My question earlier was to find in the direction of SAKO has arrived in large numbers or not……

The moral of this story is not to run to hastily post until you know something more than others.
Sako isn't here in large numbers rfi was out for getting alot of new snipers but well its stuck in that stage

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles