Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alamarathan

Country flag
It is called "Bufferless AR", This is cool idea but sadly it won't have many takers like other similar designs of past-present; most successful of them being current gen SIG SAUER MCX which is similar to this in practice; and previously there existed a designer named Allen 'Al' Zita who made his own fork of Stoner pattern DI system with extended gas key overlaping (modified) gas tube - so when fired it would not have a cut out between the two and hence no bleeding of remaining gases inside the receiver - keeping it a bit cleaner than before; and in this design he moved recoil spring forward and cut down conventional AR bolt carrier in half
am talking about ZM Arms LR-300 (which later got sold to other arms manufacturers and they gave it new names etc)

an entire post on LR-300 from my side

Coming back to the Law Tactical ARIC, i like the fact that they designed it so it could be adopted with any existing standard AR that was seemingly not possible with LR-300 (required its own upper receiver) and SIG SAUER MCX (a wholly new AR derivative with its own upper and lower receivers) , however they had to compromise here as well for e.g. it seems it doesn't have those saw-toothed cutouts on it that would allow Bolt Forward feature and hence this used with regular AR pattern receiver that Bolt Assist button would go dud - though if this tradeoff comes at benefit of having an AR that can be opened up easily without getting lockup of bolt carrier between upper and lower receivers (common issue with conventional AR design) then perhaps yeah good idea
also i kinda not like this fact that the channel-like cutout made for accomodating recoil spring guide rods on both side - simply because i see a possibility of outside kachraa getting accumulated there and obstructing movements-causing jams etc; they rather should have at least kept right side one (where ejection side is) covered i think

overall nice idea

If aric works flawlessly ill prefer the aric based rifle over mcx/ar18 for two reasons,
One,itll keep the entire action in line with the bore,
Two being,compatibility with existing ar parts like uppers,handguards etc,(keeping up with the lego gun legacy)

But i expect trouble from areas,
1. Higher Bolt velocity,(so we may need to tweak gas settings of or alter the cam track to increase unlock time.)
2.as you said,gunks getting inside the track or,due to high velocity springs might squished or popped out of the skinny guide rods(remember those early mcx's had similar problems)

Bottom line is,if they keep at it,like releasing improved iterations like gen1,gen2 etc,theyll definitely succeed due prevalent ar ecosystem.

To me,i personally would like to see an short tapid version😁
(Imagine the rate of fire in hk416 upper)

About the zita attempt interesting read,there was oa series of rifles too existed in the 90s but they had raised bore axis.

Recently i saw similar attempt by an us and eastern european manufactures,but i forgot both there names.

Anyway,aric is much more practical compared with those bufferless rifles we discussed.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
If aric works flawlessly ill prefer the aric based rifle over mcx/ar18 for two reasons,
One,itll keep the entire action in line with the bore,
Two being,compatibility with existing ar parts like uppers,handguards etc,(keeping up with the lego gun legacy)

But i expect trouble from areas,
1. Higher Bolt velocity,(so we may need to tweak gas settings of or alter the cam track to increase unlock time.)
2.as you said,gunks getting inside the track or,due to high velocity springs might squished or popped out of the skinny guide rods(remember those early mcx's had similar problems)

Bottom line is,if they keep at it,like releasing improved iterations like gen1,gen2 etc,theyll definitely succeed due prevalent ar ecosystem.

To me,i personally would like to see an short tapid version😁
(Imagine the rate of fire in hk416 upper)

About the zita attempt interesting read,there was oa series of rifles too existed in the 90s but they had raised bore axis.

Recently i saw similar attempt by an us and eastern european manufactures,but i forgot both there names.

Anyway,aric is much more practical compared with those bufferless rifles we discussed.
continuation,
The most successful ;Bufferless AR Derivatives; with folding (/collapsible) buttstocks = Daewoo K1 and K2, although K2 incorporated long stroke gas piston system from AK but still retained bolt and bolt carrier design from AR (with some tweaks, like right-side only reciprocating charging handle + in place of AR's spring loaded plunger ejector inside bolt carrier they put a spring loaded blade ejector drilled in the lower receiver etc)

Daewoo K2 internals
1668435926962.png

Daewoo K1 internals
1668436092728.png

oh lol i forgot to mention, exact same thing you wondered about in last post is already successfully serving one of the most modern standing army out there,

Republic of Korea's Daewoo K1 (K1A being current variant etc), you could say it's practically SoKorean made CAR-15 commando-ish weapon,

currently both K1 and K1A are modernised with picatiny railed handguards, some post-2014 manufactured versions of K1A also have been adopted for AR style buttstock via an adapter
View attachment 122764
View attachment 122765

So yeah...it is indeed possible to bring SIG MCX to such arrangement, just follow what SoKoreans did with K1//K1A regd its gas system...

or why bother dealing with amreekis about it at all ? just bring these SoKorean ones here ? of course we could ask them for some modifications for us like say,
- FN FNC style spring loaded dust cover on charging handle slot ?
- a suitable buttstock that folds ? (i mean K1A already is given AR buttstock adapter so it would be even easier to make it adopt to any current gen AR pattern buttstock available in market, just get one that also folds etc...)
- probably some ergonomic changes too, like better pistol grip, ambi fire selector etc
and so...

Although SoKoreans after using it since 80s are switching to short stroke gas piston system AR that Dasan DSAR-15 series is, a CAR-816 kopy itself so...yeah...but as of now they still manufacture Daewoo K1A etc there.

Alamarathan

Country flag
continuation,
The most successful ;Bufferless AR Derivatives; with folding (/collapsible) buttstocks = Daewoo K1 and K2, although K2 incorporated long stroke gas piston system from AK but still retained bolt and bolt carrier design from AR (with some tweaks, like right-side only reciprocating charging handle + in place of AR's spring loaded plunger ejector inside bolt carrier they put a spring loaded blade ejector drilled in the lower receiver etc)

Daewoo K2 internals
View attachment 181907

Daewoo K1 internals
View attachment 181908
Yeah i watched both variants in MACs youtube channel,koreans executed it very well.

Offyopic though,imo k2 is similar to robinson arms xcr in basic philosophy,yes bcg is basically ak type,but the way piston ron engages the bcg(both long stroke) and gets separated easily

Basically it translated into less dusturbance to barrell harmonics,but better than the ak's rigid gas tube/piston.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Yeah i watched both variants in MACs youtube channel,koreans executed it very well.

Offyopic though,imo k2 is similar to robinson arms xcr in basic philosophy,yes bcg is basically ak type,but the way piston ron engages the bcg(both long stroke) and gets separated easily

Basically it translated into less dusturbance to barrell harmonics,but better than the ak's rigid gas tube/piston.
Yes though K2 came eariler than XCR so i guess Robinson picked it up from there, and now SIG SAUER incorporating similar thing in their SPEAR one with a different shaped joint
1668438146990.png

1668438179205.png

1668438264583.png

1668438294184.png

and to be honest this pattern of separable carrier and piston design was already incorporated wayyy back in those piston-operated machine guns, light machine guns alike etc so it's not a new thing per se just wasn't used much in individual combat rifle

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
@Johny_Baba i have a doubt.if the typical Ak receiver don’t hold zero for optics due to its vibration, whats the issue in putting a rail similar to that in beryl or arsenal M5f41 as it dont directly come in touch witht the receiver.what’s the pros and cons

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
@Johny_Baba i have a doubt.if the typical Ak receiver don’t hold zero for optics due to its vibration, whats the issue in putting a rail similar to that in beryl or arsenal M5f41 as it dont directly come in touch witht the receiver.what’s the pros and cons
AFAIK, its the best option if you want to convert existing AK to have a rail. But having the rail incorporated in the top cover (like the 203 series) seems better from a manufacturing, cost, ease of use perspective (should be identical in performance given attachment style is similar)

I think even SSS's bid for dragunov upgrade involves a similar style of "add on" rail.

Though @Johny_Baba will be more educated than me in this regard.

Alamarathan

Country flag
The basic philosophy here is,scope mounts or 1913 pic rail has to be directly connected to the barrel to hold zero,like ar or other scar type platforms.

The above methods you mentioned are all hinge mechanism, which needs to be swing open and closed which might cause slight shift in zeroing
Due to wear on gunk getting inside the mechanism, or the scope weight itself cause them loosen over period of time.

Just recoil is enough them to vibrate.

The heavier the optic,higher the problem.

This is my understanding from reading from those gun reviews.

Im sure johnybaba might add some more points to it.

Alamarathan

Country flag
The basic philosophy here is,scope mounts or 1913 pic rail has to be directly connected to the barrel to hold zero,like ar or other scar type platforms.

The above methods you mentioned are all hinge mechanism, which needs to be swing open and closed which might cause slight shift in zeroing
Due to wear on gunk getting inside the mechanism, or the scope weight itself cause them loosen over period of time.

Just recoil is enough them to vibrate.

The heavier the optic,higher the problem.

This is my understanding from reading from those gun reviews.

Im sure johnybaba might add some more points to it.
Ill add one more point,the hinge itself connected to the gastube,so the piston movement plus the barrel harmonics pressure on the gastube might add more vibration.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles