Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whitecollar

Country flag
"Iska recoil kaafi hai" a line enough to seal R2's fate...

Goes on to shoot flawlessly depicting lesser recoil compared to a lot of 7.62 NATO rifles. Brass gets uniformly ejected(which is a good thing). Plus this R2 hasn't got the latest muzzle brake which tells recoil may be further controlled by them now.

Angel of War

Country flag
The way modernisation is going on it seems that apart from using multiple calibers, IA will be also using multiple guns in a same caliber.
Slow claps for planing and implementation process.
Example ?

Mangal

Country flag
Example ?
How long the assault rifle tender has been going on? I believe its a decade or more.
Now reports suggests that SIG orders will be cancelled. If true IA will have another 7.62*51 calibre rifle probably R2 in its inventory.

Angel of War

Country flag
If SIG 716 doesn't get reordered
- two assault rifles in 7.62x51mm.

If Negev NG7 doesn't get reordered
- two machine guns in 7.62x51mm.
what makes you think we'll order another 7.62*51 assault rifle ?
Even if we don't reorder negev the current batch will be enough to equip all infantry and RR battalions with it on the figure of 45 guns per battalion

Lonewarrior

Country flag
what makes you think we'll order another 7.62*51 assault rifle ?
Even if we don't reorder negev the current batch will be enough to equip all infantry and RR battalions with it on the figure of 45 guns per battalion
Because we still have that 72k requirement from army's side. The ban on SIG is from government's side.

The matter of fact is not equipping front line, it's just a machine gun. The actually requirement for machine gun is way more than this 16k Negevs. And it's still there.

Angel of War

Country flag
Because we still have that 72k requirement from army's side. The ban on SIG is from government's side.

The matter of fact is not equipping front line, it's just a machine gun. The actually requirement for machine gun is way more than this 16k Negevs. And it's still there.
There is no step taken by the army to fulfil that requirement of 72K rifles and its highly unlikely that they'll do so anytime soon in future . They will simply trade that requirement with the 670,000 Ak203s
The army wants 41,000 LMGs including a buffer stock . 16K are enough to equip all battalions ( not only frontline ) .

Whitecollar

Country flag

I still believe the mag retention of R2 is a bit filmsy and it shows during firing the rifle...I guess the magwell could've been stretched down a bit for better housing and could accomodate for better rocking and fixing mechanism of mags...wadayathink?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Negev 7 should not have problems for further orders as plr can make it under make in india and GOI will be more than happy to make it given reasonable price and total Indian content.
Problem lies within american SIG deal as I don't really see them setting their factory here. If not we can say good bye to that and the chances of 2nd assault rifle is really high. And also army ki procurement dekh kar i am sure that those guys might not even have basic common sense to induct a similiar AR for commonality. It will most likely be again who can make here and with the price desired, if not then be prepared to see IA with uber R2 and no way it costs less than 60-70k. Damn, the horror of filmsy picitanny rails on ofb guns is too much for me.

vampyrbladez

Country flag

Sig 716 will get recorded. Army has rejected the R2 and DAC has already allocated funding for the 72000 rifles to be ordered.

The benefit to cost ratio is very high due to the entire deal being for just $70-72 million.
There has been no mention of the follow on order in the middle of all this cancellation / deferment so it is 'safe'.

Whitecollar

Country flag
This is an old post but it gives me hope.
That project now sleeps with the fishes. IA isn't even interested in 1C INSAS which is much more refined and reliable gun compared to 1B(that was originally used to make this bullpup carbine form). In 2018 infact, there was a rumour that IA would select 1C under Aatma Nirbhar project for their carbine requirement...but it never materialized.
images (14) (31).jpeg

Whitecollar

Country flag
Yo...anybody has a shooting video of INSAS MK1C?? Can't find it anywhere...
I'll even pay to view it's performance 🙂

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles