Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kaboom

Country flag
@Johny_Baba @Aditya Ballal @ALBY and others.

I have seen Polymer Railed Handguards for Rifles, SMGs, LMGs, etc but haven't seen a polymer railed handguard for snipers and DMRs. Is my observation correct or do they exist?
In case my observation correct, what is the reason for this.
Polymer handguards are not really good in holding zero and get deformed overtime but are a lot cheaper and easy to manufacture in bulk.
Now in case of low grade rifles and smgs they use polymer handguards which don't hold zero good but it doesn't matter much for these users as they rarely demand extraordinary precision from these builds, and rarely do they use optics and LAMs but they do ask for low cost and numbers ......... Ex in case of AK12 and AK203

Whereas for elites who do care about accuracy like Alpha group they uses mostly mods which are machined out of aluminum instead of vanilla polymer ones thus they holds good zero .

In case of Snipers and DMRs the ability of the powered optic/tripod/LAM to hold zero would be the determining factor between a kill and a miss thus they have to use metallic handguards as they can't cut corners regarding accuracy in this case . also deforming of a polymer handguard due to heat/cold can mess up with the barrel..... believe me if they could they would have used polymer here too.

BlackViking

Country flag
Polymer handguards are not really good in holding zero and get deformed overtime but are a lot cheaper and easy to manufacture in bulk.
Now in case of low grade rifles and smgs they use polymer handguards which don't hold zero good but it doesn't matter much for these users as they rarely demand extraordinary precision from these builds, and rarely do they use optics and LAMs but they do ask for low cost and numbers ......... Ex in case of AK12 and AK203

Whereas for elites who do care about accuracy like Alpha group they uses mostly mods which are machined out of aluminum instead of vanilla polymer ones thus they holds good zero .

In case of Snipers and DMRs the ability of the powered optic/tripod/LAM to hold zero would be the determining factor between a kill and a miss thus they have to use metallic handguards as they can't cut corners regarding accuracy in this case . also deforming of a polymer handguard due to heat/cold can mess up with the barrel..... believe me if they could they would have used polymer here too.
What material properties should I look for if a I have to see the material sciences involved for your reasoning?
I did understand your point, thanks to your simple explanation.

kaboom

Country flag
What material properties should I look for if a I have to see the material sciences involved for your reasoning?
I know very little about material science but my guesses are-

1. low wear coefficient so that the groves don't loose much shape with use but also should be easy to machine out
2. low thermal coefficients so that it does not get deformed/expand with heat due to the hot barrel underneath or contract and crack due to cold
3. good modulus of rigidity
4. good tensile strength so that it does not breaks under stress
5. low weight , so that it does not weigh you down
6. low cost

All these conditions are met by Aluminum alloys

note - I may be totally wrong ... so do tell me if i am

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Main na raha to kya hoga is jagat kaa...
View attachment 211292

ID the sidearm pls

Looks like craft made to me
Yup, it is craft made...by our very hardworking craftsmen of Ordnance Factory Board.

It's your good ol' Ashani that has been modified by some "gunhouse". I'm not sure about the exact gun house but this modification is perhaps the most expensive in India as they're probably the only one who performs Cerakote, you can see it's in Flat Dark Earth and not in your usual black.

Here's a clearer pic
IMG_20230623_135316.jpg

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Main na raha to kya hoga is jagat kaa...

Yup, it is craft made...by our very hardworking craftsmen of Ordnance Factory Board.

It's your good ol' Ashani that has been modified by some "gunhouse". I'm not sure about the exact gun house but this modification is perhaps the most expensive in India as they're probably the only one who performs Cerakote, you can see it's in Flat Dark Earth and not in your usual black.

Here's a clearer pic
View attachment 211727
Welcome back bhaiya

Lonewarrior

Country flag
@Johny_Baba @Aditya Ballal @ALBY and others.

I have seen Polymer Railed Handguards for Rifles, SMGs, LMGs, etc but haven't seen a polymer railed handguard for snipers and DMRs. Is my observation correct or do they exist?
In case my observation correct, what is the reason for this.
Takat

Let's approach this problem by taking a look at what type of attachment (other than grips and bipods) you'd use in each case.

In case of SMG, AR or even LMG the only two attachments you're going to use are flashlight and laser module. Flashlights are generally around 200g in weight and that for a hi-end laser module would be around 350g. Now come to DMRs and Snipers, they don't need flashlight and laser module...what they need are high powered scopes, thermal, infra-red. Even a very basic 56mm scope can weigh 900g. So those small 5mm polymer ridges are sufficient to deal with the recoil of 500g parts, but when the weight goes up they start showing signs of deformation.

Now coming to another problem with polymer...flexing. In case of SMG or LMG the length of handguard is generally shorter so for a given thickness of polymer (let's say 3mm coz that's the most common handguards thickness) the flex would be substantially lesser compared to a sniper rifle's handguard of same thickness because the length of the handguard has now almost doubled. So now you'd have to use thicker polymer to compensate the length, but the dimensions of picatinny rails are fixed so can't make them any more thicker...hence the choose aluminium.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Arrreee...why ask for property when you can simply ask for the exact material!?

Nylon (polyamide) is what's used in firearm industry...from complete Glock pistol to picatinny rail sections to stocks...all are polyamide. What differs it the percentage of glass fiber in it. You increase the glass fiber and it'll become stronger but on the cost of becoming more brittle too. So generally 20-30% Glass Reinforced Polyamide is used.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
why use an .32 crap when he can get a 9mm ?
Everytime he'll leave the base he'd have to sign 10 different documents stating why he need that and then only he can carry he's 9mm (service pistol) with him. So why go through all the hassle when you'll never see an actual confrontation?

A custom Ashani is enough for show-off in India.

ManhattanProject

Country flag

polimer rails also get crushed by the clamping forces acting on them from an accessory.

Articles