Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 158786
IAF AK-103
Picatinny Rails on Top Cover and lower handguard at 6 o’clock position.
View attachment 158787
to be precice Indian AK 103 M ( aka Indian wannabe ak 203 )

ps: Inidan armed forces never learn
huh wait a min @rone sir, @Aditya Ballal bhai and all...
1654425891805.png

i suspect this isn't even AK-103M

rather old vanilla AK-103 plus some parts from "KM-AK" upgrade kit that was meant to upgrade AK-74Ms and other AKs in russian service...mainly top cover, pistol grip, muzzle device and (bottom) handguards from KM-AK remaining else like buttstock and entire basic AK-103 rifle etc...
"KM-AK" is also given some other names like "KMS" ("KMC" in cyrilic) or simply "Ratnik Kit"

why am i saying so ?
>notice there is no AK-203 style dust cover lock on the side of rear part of top dust cover, even AK-103M had that pattern of lock on its railed top cover

>also notice here railed top cover is hinged type BUT instead of using separate mount for hinge it is using hinge meant for the iron sights itself - like many of those aftermarket hinged AK top covers like Texas Weapon Systems' ;Dog Leg; etc... and likewise "KM-AK" upgrade kit also has that pattern of hinged top cover and in place of allevation adjustable iron sights it just provides a small flip-up ;backup iron sight; thing 🤷‍♂️ so no more proper-actual iron sight just a flippable notch with two settings...

1654429502854.png

now this all is a hypothesis at this stage and truth would come out later as more and more pics are released of this Air Force variant of AK-103...but yeah... 🤷‍♂️ another AK variant here with custom parts...i mean just imagine the farce of "replacing all serving AK variant with a common one" when they do this kind of things...adding even more different parts for same base weapon, that too at loss of proper iron sights...i am even ok about sacrifising iron sights here as it's meant for service of Air Force personnel who might not need to shoot much...but even with all top rails and stuff they're not gonna issue even basic reddot or holographic like optics then just why... 😒

oh and of course saying it again, all of this could've been done here at home with Trichy, but...they're going too much overdrive in their ;pleasing the ruskies; games or dunno what... 😒

anyway, as for how the original "KM-AK" "Ratnik" parts looked like...some pics...hope you'll get the basic idea and i might not have to explain it in details...still marking some basic stuff on these pics for better overview...

# AK-74M in russian service upgraded with "KM-AK" or Ratnik kit
1654429828452.png

# details of top cover etc,
in pic 1 - notice no side mounted top cover lock, there is a button for that on rear of the top cover itself now with a new locking piece (shown in pic 2) affixed on rear trunnion, and in pic-3 details of the new hinge and how it is affixed with iron sight hinge is shown, here they use a separate hinge piece to affix top cover to outer hinge of the iron sight and regular iron sight is replaced with a flippable backup-iron-sight thing in inner hinge
1654429909186.png

1654430112676.png

1654430147173.png

some other pics detailing parts of the kit
1654430801321.png

1654430892874.png

1654430925353.png

1654430934781.png

and here is a nice vdo by Larry Vickers

vampyrbladez

Country flag
huh wait a min @rone sir, @Aditya Ballal bhai and all...
View attachment 158789

i suspect this isn't even AK-103M

rather old vanilla AK-103 plus some parts from "KM-AK" upgrade kit that was meant to upgrade AK-74Ms and other AKs in russian service...mainly top cover, pistol grip, muzzle device and (bottom) handguards from KM-AK remaining else like buttstock and entire basic AK-103 rifle etc...
"KM-AK" is also given some other names like "KMS" ("KMC" in cyrilic) or simply "Ratnik Kit"

why am i saying so ?
>notice there is no AK-203 style dust cover lock on the side of rear part of top dust cover, even AK-103M had that pattern of lock on its railed top cover

>also notice here railed top cover is hinged type BUT instead of using separate mount for hinge it is using hinge meant for the iron sights itself - like many of those aftermarket hinged AK top covers like Texas Weapon Systems' ;Dog Leg; etc... and likewise "KM-AK" upgrade kit also has that pattern of hinged top cover and in place of allevation adjustable iron sights it just provides a small flip-up ;backup iron sight; thing 🤷‍♂️ so no more proper-actual iron sight just a flippable notch with two settings...

View attachment 158797

now this all is a hypothesis at this stage and truth would come out later as more and more pics are released of this Air Force variant of AK-103...but yeah... 🤷‍♂️ another AK variant here with custom parts...i mean just imagine the farce of "replacing all serving AK variant with a common one" when they do this kind of things...adding even more different parts for same base weapon, that too at loss of proper iron sights...i am even ok about sacrifising iron sights here as it's meant for service of Air Force personnel who might not need to shoot much...but even with all top rails and stuff they're not gonna issue even basic reddot or holographic like optics then just why... 😒

oh and of course saying it again, all of this could've been done here at home with Trichy, but...they're going too much overdrive in their ;pleasing the ruskies; games or dunno what... 😒

anyway, as for how the original "KM-AK" "Ratnik" parts looked like...some pics...hope you'll get the basic idea and i might not have to explain it in details...still marking some basic stuff on these pics for better overview...

# AK-74M in russian service upgraded with "KM-AK" or Ratnik kit
View attachment 158798

# details of top cover etc,
in pic 1 - notice no side mounted top cover lock, there is a button for that on rear of the top cover itself now with a new locking piece (shown in pic 2) affixed on rear trunnion, and in pic-3 details of the new hinge and how it is affixed with iron sight hinge is shown, here they use a separate hinge piece to affix top cover to outer hinge of the iron sight and regular iron sight is replaced with a flippable backup-iron-sight thing in inner hinge
View attachment 158799
View attachment 158802
View attachment 158803

some other pics detailing parts of the kit
View attachment 158817
View attachment 158819
View attachment 158820
View attachment 158821

and here is a nice vdo by Larry Vickers
How does the two piece flippable iron sight work?

So unless your average IAF personnel gets a holographic or red dot sight (which is unlikely) , they can't use this beyond 100-150 m range effectively ?

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag

So unless your average IAF personnel gets a holographic or red dot sight (which is unlikely) , they can't use this beyond 100-150 m range effectively ?

Well as the ak nerds say "nyet rifle is fine "

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

Well i believe it's zeroed for some basic settings like 100 to 300 metres etc with those two flippable posts and for anything beyond that use optics etc

it's a compromise thing, after all traditional AK iron sights are not meant for some good precision shooting and probably Air Force personnel wouldn't need much precision shooting either, also lol traditional AK sights are "too optimistic" with its elevation//range settings i mean imagine hitting something at 800 metres far away with an AK47 (1000 metres for AKM onwards) using only iron sights...

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Well i believe it's zeroed for some basic settings like 100 to 300 metres etc with those two flippable posts and for anything beyond that use optics etc

it's a compromise thing, after all traditional AK iron sights are not meant for some good precision shooting and probably Air Force personnel wouldn't need much precision shooting either, also lol traditional AK sights are "too optimistic" with its elevation//range settings i mean imagine hitting something at 800 metres far away with an AK47 (1000 metres for AKM onwards) us using only iron sights...
I agree but to hit something accurately at 300 metres requires some kind of holographic or red dot sights right?

Just like the Russians handing out AK 12s without any sights to their frontline infantry.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
1654688072867.png

“Our Netro solutions feature Thermal Weapon Sight, Laser Range Finder and Red Dot Sight custom mounted on the weapon, for unmatched aim.”
Interesting solution, wonder if they’ll offer the machine gun Red Dot sight as a standalone system like the Aimpoint MPS 3 Reflex sight as in the Navy and Coast Guard ALH MK3s on the GAU-21 HMG of FNH or the Trijicon MGRS
1654688241930.png

1654688404743.jpeg

Lonewarrior

Country flag

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I agree but to hit something accurately at 300 metres requires some kind of holographic or red dot sights right?

Just like the Russians handing out AK 12s without any sights to their frontline infantry.
They have M16 style close up iron sights and are also issued with 1P87 holo sights and 1p90 3* magnification too.

I think part of the upgrade plan was to equip everyone with basic sights etc. Do you have pics of them in action. Can you confirm if they are issued with sights or not @Flash12

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@Super Flanker this is the difference i was speaking about ak-203i
Even few units have been delivered ti iaf u could check it in net
This is what we will get
Credit to respective person
I don't know who is he but found on net

OFBkaRakhwala

Country flag
The most effective and important mod for a rifle is optics, it has been proven to increase hit probablity and effectiveness, but our soldiers do everything else and forget the optic.
soldiers don't forget optics they are not issued to begin with for the most part

Lonewarrior

Country flag
View attachment 159450View attachment 159451View attachment 159453View attachment 159454

Have they rebadged some ther OEMs rifle or is this their own product?
Rebadged my a**
It's straight on Ashbury Precision Ordnance's SERiSS chassis. They were planning to launch it in US market in late 2019 early 2020, but didn't do due to increased competition.
70583409_2494303197290665_5389582506439737344_n.jpg

Moreover, you can just guess how big of a
16893183.jpg
someone is, if they are planning to sell a "precision rifle" chamber in 5.45x45mm and 7.62x39mm in Indian market.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles