Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tactical Doge

๐•ฑ๐–”๐–”๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–—๐–š๐–˜๐– ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ๐–Š๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–‹๐–Š๐–†๐–—
Country flag

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Think I read it in an article where it said "Indian jugaad helps soldiers using American rifles" or something on those lines. I am sure many members here have read it too since it was posted on this forum. The ofb rounds are made to nato 762*51 specs and are cheap but has heavy recoil than the sig made 762 nato spec ammo. Apparently the soldiers are used to the recoil now after training.

Also, even though the ammo is made to nato spec, there are other factors as well which determine the quality and performance of the ammo. And we all know the quality delivered by ofb.

Edit- found the article.

https://theprint.in/defence/army-us...into-a-mean-rifle-for-soldiers-at-loc/698631/
Ignore that part, writer on Afghan maal.

Simplified formula,

Recoil is proportional to (Mass of bullet (constant)*velocity of round (constant))/time from firing to cycling

Recoil cant be different if specs are the same. Basically, we didnt get match grade ammo from sig, since our guns were not for DMR role, rather for armour penetration and mid range (600m ish) targets.

FalconSlayers

เคงเคฐเฅเคฎเฅ‹ เคฐเค•เฅเคทเคคเคฟ เคฐเค•เฅเคทเคฟเคคเคƒ
Country flag
Ignore that part, writer on Afghan maal.

Simplified formula,

Recoil is proportional to (Mass of bullet (constant)*velocity of round (constant))/time from firing to cycling

Recoil cant be different if specs are the same. Basically, we didnt get match grade ammo from sig, since our guns were not for DMR role, rather for armour penetration and mid range (600m ish) targets.
Well it is = [(mass of bullet) x (muzzle velocity)/(Mass of Assault Rifle)]

Picard

Country flag
It would work, but it also depends on many things including design,
in AR pattern rifles keeping tighter tolerances is desired because the opening at breech face has many locking lugs (on that barrel extension) and of course similar interacting lugs on the rotating bolt, so any outside material obstructing its operation is undesired, so tigheter builds with as little opening as possible, specially around critical parts is the way to go to keep outside gunk from reaching inside as possible*
*However it's also a thing that tighter tolerances means relatively narrower designs etc so it's also cumbersome to clean etc but overall an acceptable tradeoff

AK, on the other hand, was given looser tolerances because the design itself is semi-open type, with locking lugs clearly visible (and in reach of outside gunk) when cycling, also soviet philosophy of 'soldier proofing' etc required it to have additional internal spacing for some acceptable level of ingress as well as easier cleaning-mitigation etc, also AK design is slightly 'stretched' one than needed to be for desired reliability purposes etc...
^so it worked on the AK,

while on AR well...first AR pattern one with relatively loosed tolerances was AR-18 and during trials it mostly failed reliability trials against dust-mud things in both US and UK trials (they did note it that with some proper revisions it could be turned into an acceptable weapon though), later when UK adoped a bullpup-ised variant of same that SA-80 series was we all know how it fared...

Also other such case, British L1A1 SLR, that also had looser tolerances etc, plus when they cut those 'sand cuts' on its bolt carrier so some acceptable level of sand-dust-shits etc ingress could stick around on those surfaces and not fail the actions etc, but it mostly didn't work...

^probably due to all these previous experiences they don't go towards lighter tolerances thing much, me thinks

VHS-2 is also in practice an AR-derivative rifle so they mostly followed what worked with AR designs,
still taking hypothetical scenario in mind,
i think they should've increased internal spacing of trigger extension side in pistol grip at least, there is some space but from disassembly part in the vdo it seems walls of the body and barrel part has somewhat narrower openings there (for keeping it compact ?) so yeah increasing some spacing etc in those sections would do it, perhaps?
but i am overall skeptical about opening up the bolt carrier side part, it's an AR design after all, probably redesign of surfaces there that is like walled around (for shell deflectors etc, as well as that dust cover locking part on receiver side etc) the ejection port would make some changes...i mean shape it in a way that mud etc doesn't easily slip on the surface and go inside when it cycles etc or something else...
And at any rate, now that I looked it up, it seems reliability is actually fine:

Johny_Baba

เค…เคœเฅเคžเคพเคจเฅ€
Country flag
And at any rate, now that I looked it up, it seems reliability is actually fine:

Yes it is fine mostly, just cover that charging handle slot if garbage seeping through that becomes an issue but overall VHS-2 fared much better than some others in mud test,
something like telescoping cover that portuguese AR-10 had would do it
1643476830487.png

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

Yeahh! Finally something we all like to see!!
Interesting results, some AK fanboys regularly brag about AKs being able to operate under any extreme condition, but here we saw that in some cases the ARs performed better. Same way the AKs performed better in the ice tests. By no way do I mean to say that this kind of test is realistic by any means and is just for pure entertainment purposes.
Essentially all of us need to remember that each well made good quality gun has its uses and will definitely be good in some conditions, but not in all conditions.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Interesting results, some AK fanboys regularly brag about AKs being able to operate under any extreme condition, but here we saw that in some cases the ARs performed better. Same way the AKs performed better in the ice tests. By no way do I mean to say that this kind of test is realistic by any means and is just for pure entertainment purposes.
Essentially all of us need to remember that each well made good quality gun has its uses and will definitely be good in some conditions, but not in all conditions.
Well, it probably has a lot to do with design philosophy of both platforms. Where Eugene Stoner, based on a lot of USA's previous war experience, had designed the AR to be sealed shut rifle, Kalashnikov designed AK purely based on ease of troubleshooting, cleaning the rifle and proceeding with firing once again in battle like circumstance. Both serve the purpose they intend on.
Plus there never were much slush, gooish mud, swampy marshy terrains in Soviet region or any instance that would inspire Russian gun designers to think critically on.

Brandon Herrera and Polenar Tactical in the end will still influence a lot of Americans to buy AK clones, copies and accessories.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles