Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Many people say its just a myth
The concept of assault rifle as a primary infantry weapon is copied by the Russian (in AK-47) from the Ggermans (Stg44). However, the design of the gun is not copied.

Earlier the infantry soldiers mainly operated long range Rifles (bolt action with bigger sized ammo) and short range carbines (with shorter sized ammo). Assault rifles were made to fill the gap in between them. The Germans with their Stg-44 made this concept so much popular, than assault rifles became the primary choice of infantry of other countries too starting from Russians and then other countries.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
The concept of assault rifle as a primary infantry weapon is copied by the Russian (in AK-47) from the Ggermans (Stg44). However, the design of the gun is not copied.

Earlier the infantry soldiers mainly operated long range Rifles (bolt action) and short range carbines. Assault rifles were made to fill the gap in between them. The Germans with their Stg-44 made this concept so much popular, than assault rifles became the primary choice of infantry of other countries too starting from Russians and then other countries.
Americans first thought of the stg 44 as nothing but a german gimmick but the ruskies and british knew it was the future

SKC

Country flag
The Nazis scientist were indeed pioneers in warfare technology. From stealth plane, to assault rifles, to ballistic missiles , they pioneeered all of them
Every nation involved in both WW had pioneer scientists with them. There is over romanticization with the Nazi scientists.
A boy in his farm in Australian outback was able to made Welrod small arm which became standard for British!
And the Nazi stealth was not stealth exactly it was well within the limits of planes of that era.
At the time Nazis were working on V2, there was US man who pioneered his own version of rockets and was father of US space program before Van Braun was favored due to his popularity.

Marliii

Country flag
How ugly politics can end innocent soldiers lives.the americans wanted the 7.62x51 to be nato primary cartridge but the british had a good intermidiate catridge.so americans made a deal that if nato adapts 7.62 they will adapt FAL nato did its end of the deal but US didn't and adapted m14

airstrike99

Country flag
I am laughing at the fact that we are discussing about procurements of IWI Galil, Arad, Carmel for assault rifle and carbine options, when infact we are missing IWI Zion this whole time!!
I really wish instead of AK-203, this gets selected!!
View attachment 90509
should i laugh?

for not knowing the fact that army needs 7.62mm x 39 not 5.56 mm NATO chambered rifle.

I really wish instead of AK-203, this gets selected!!
no. it won't. and for a good reason.

Marliii

Country flag
The deal has been dragging for more than 2 years.we should cut it now

airstrike99

Country flag
The deal has been dragging for more than 2 years.we should cut it now
the problem is both OFB TAR and GHATAK look like a rip off of ak-series.
even kalashinokov complained about IPR violations in 2004, but did not pursue it further because of indo-russian relations. and even india did not order for the same purposes.
indian army which is a professional army will never buy such things, which will damage the image.

that's why only police use it.

airstrike99

Country flag
the problem is both OFB TAR and GHATAK look like a rip off of ak-series.
even kalashinokov complained about IPR violations in 2004, but did not pursue it further because of indo-russian relations. and even india did not order for the same purposes.
indian army which is a professional army will never buy such things, which will damage the image.

that's why only police use it.
thats why OFB once again made this in def expo 2018

1621412274825.png

7.62 x 51 mm NATO.

now it has a completely milled receiver instead of stamped.

trust me .
from the POV of Manufacturing engg, milling process is extremely costly, but also produces high quality surface finish.

the rifle is indeed of high quality. forget the looks.

OFB must have moved their lazy as*es and worked hard for the first time in their life.

but the magazine is just for 20 rounds instead of 30. because its an FN FAL magazine

once again half a**ing things.

can't even design a 30rounds magazine on their own.

ffs i will do it for free.

these param nibbiars and param chutiy*s won't work until we turn them into a profit based PSU like ONGC, BDL, BHEL etc.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

View attachment 90520

7.62 x 51 mm NATO.

trust me .
from the POV of Manufacturing engg, milling process is extremely costly, but also produces high quality surface finish.

OFB must have moved their lazy as*es and worked hard for the first time in their life.

but the magazine is just for 20 rounds instead of 30. because its an FN FAL magazine

these param nibbiars and param chutiy*s won't work until we turn them into a profit based PSU like ONGC, BDL, BHEL etc.
I believe it was requested to have commonality with FAL magazines, so it could be adopted faster, I could be wrong so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I think IA would want a DI or a short-stroke piston type rifle in 7.62*51 mm, after operating Sigs.

The Insas R-2 rifle is a upscaled MK1C which draws from the legacy long stroke Insas which inturn draws from an AK operating principle.

Gessler

Country flag

View attachment 90520

7.62 x 51 mm NATO.

trust me .

A 30rd magazine for a 7.62x51 military service rifle? That's pretty much unheard of. Only a few novelty models exist for civilian market.

There's a reason why FAL, G3 or even modern examples like SCAR-H or SIG-716 all have only 20rd mags.

The .308 round is considerably bigger than .223/5.56x45. Putting in 10 more rounds would make the mag too long & unwieldy.

Look at this thing: How is a soldier supposed to go prone with that?

Marliii

Country flag
A 30rd magazine for a 7.62x51 military service rifle? That's pretty much unheard of. Only a few novelty models exist for civilian market.

There's a reason why FAL, G3 or even modern examples like SCAR-H or SIG-716 all have only 20rd mags.

The .308 round is considerably bigger than .223/5.56x45. Putting in 10 more rounds would make the mag too long & unwieldy.

Look at this thing: How is a soldier supposed to go prone with that?

SCAR h has a 25 mag that is maximum I have heard of

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles