Country flag
Great selection at least 1000-1500 should be procured for immediate use

Definitely a light and good rifle

These purchases should be happened much before

At least 2013-14.
Unit cost? $8900!! That's almost Rs 7 Lakhs a pop! :shock:

Enquirer

That's just the retail price of the rifle; the final package will require rifle scope, spotter scope, night vision, ballistic computer - all of which will shoot up the price by at least 50%.

Then again, buying in bulk will get IA some discount compared to buying it in retail.

WARREN SS

Country flag
So what we spend millions of $ on CSD alcohol Subsidies

Sniping is an important part of warfare

There is scout sniping team in every unit of Marine corps

Army should at least spend 500 million to 1 billion $ for creating infrastructure

Integrated battle groups

Should have heavy elements of Scout sniping

Even if the base price will 10000 $

Let say army has requiment to Equip all front line battlions

1500 such rifles purchased immediately

10000 $ X1500 = 15,000,000 $

15 million is a base cost and let say 5-10 million $ on other support equipment

20-25 million $ is the cost of equipping whole front lines battalions with A++ category AMR's(Exculding training and weapons integration Cost)

Just look at amount of soldiers we are loosing due to Pakistan sniping

And Indian army budget and Capex
This is peanuts

And if u ask me If I was responsible for such statergic planning

I Must have sacked peolpe who are sitting
In their offices and putting Forward post common soldiers life on the line

I mean look at the pathetic situation of our statergicplanners

Even after taking so much casualties In Sniping activities of Pakistan army which has cripple Economy and Low budgetary allocation

People will say we are too taking attributions on enemy but not at the propotion on which Pakistani GHQ will be shaken and they are winning battle of perception

It's sad

Mikesingh

Country flag

Army should at least spend 500 million to 1 billion $ for creating infrastructure

Integrated battle groups

20-25 million $ is the cost of equipping whole front lines battalions with A++ category AMR's(Exculding training and weapons integration Cost)

This is peanuts

Even after taking so much casualties In Sniping activities of Pakistan army which has cripple Economy and Low budgetary allocation

People will say we are too taking attributions on enemy but not at the propotion on which Pakistani GHQ will be shaken and they are winning battle of perception

It's sad
Agreed! I just mentioned the base price for info. We need to get this weapon system pronto. Let's make the Paki army personnel die for their country!!

Enquirer

Integrated battle groups

This is peanuts

It's sad
Couldn't agree with you more!
I have been suggesting the same math on the pittance of a cost and orders of magnitude return on investment!
IA definitely f'kd up in not even having a decent sniper rifle since forever!!!

Enquirer

Pakistani casaulities are more ,I can't remember but even a video was posted here where general was saying paki casaulities in sniping are way more.
Also last year's report also reflected the same where they provided data for sniper casaulities and sniper kills .
While arming with latest sniper rifles is good and it will further increase paki casaulities but i don't understand how it will reduce ours ,our soldiers will still be under threat of sniping ,and counter measures are still being taken with heavy retaliation, while it will increase our kill count but how will it reduce the threat of paki snipers.
Until there is a intent or strategy to take paki land or break it somehow ,these things will continue ,I mean what do you propose ,this tit for tat will continue no matter what until a decisive step is taken.
Snipers also take out enemy snipers!!!

Also, currently IA doesn't even engage the jihadi scum crawling on the LOC until they come in the firing range of their assault rifles - at which point even the IA jawans come under the range of jihadi's rifles (causing precious loss of Indian lives)! Long range inaccurate machine gun fire only signals detection and the jihadi scum hunker behind natural barriers. Further, due to heavy weight of machine guns, they're always inside the posts - an area that jihadis know to avoid!
A good and accurate sniper rifle can help IA engage jihadis at standoff distance accurately and quietly!

Further, the 'heat' in retaliation is increased in a measured way. Pakis get 'n' Indian soldiers and India tries to get the same (and then some) AND THEN STOP. Right now India's retaliation only involves firing mortars in all directions - causing some civilian casualties (Paki posts are always located within civilian population, unlike Indian posts) but not getting as many Paki soldiers, which gives Pakis an excuse to cry foul (on civilian losses)!

Net-net IA can level the field pretty well with long range & accurate sniper rifles!

Last edited:

WARREN SS

Country flag
Pakistani casaulities are more ,I can't remember but even a video was posted here where general was saying paki casaulities in sniping are way more.
Also last year's report also reflected the same where they provided data for sniper casaulities and sniper kills .
While arming with latest sniper rifles is good and it will further increase paki casaulities but i don't understand how it will reduce ours ,our soldiers will still be under threat of sniping ,and counter measures are still being taken with heavy retaliation, while it will increase our kill count but how will it reduce the threat of paki snipers.
Until there is a intent or strategy to take paki land or break it somehow ,these things will continue ,I mean what do you propose ,this tit for tat will continue no matter what until a decisive step is taken.
Even if they are More there still engaging us at same level with very less resources and cost

Because we playing defensive game altogether

And if you are older in this forum you might know that maximum casaulties of Pakistani soldiers is due effective Atgms and Mortar fire's

We have Denel NTW's used by Special forces in certain areas where infiltration is heavy or in route's where Our own Border action teams Make counter Assault's on there Forward post's

We heavily use Dragunov SVD's which is a decent DMR and Is effective against infitration

As it engage Target's at 500-800m
(1000m max )

But for Effective Offensive counter Sniping we need to invest in Specialized Long range AMR's Units

I mean how much a single Round of 50 Cal or .338 lapua cost more than HE Shells and Milan Atgms

It's just Cost analysis my friend.

Mikesingh

Country flag
Right now India's retaliation only involves firing mortars in all directions - causing some civilians casualties but not getting as many Paki soldiers, which gives Pakis an excuse to cry foul (on civilian losses)!

Net-net IA can level the field pretty well with long range & accurate sniper rifles!
For your info....Paki Army/Rangers killed during 2016 - 2018:

Pak Army/Rangers: 9 killed (29 Sep. 2016), 43 killed (Oct. 2016), 2 killed (1 Nov. 2016), 138 killed (2017), 48–50 killed (2018).

Total Pak Army/Rangers reported killed since 2016: 240–242. That's a fair strike rate but could be better.

Enquirer

Pak Army/Rangers: 9 killed (29 Sep. 2016), 43 killed (Oct. 2016), 2 killed (1 Nov. 2016), 138 killed (2017), 48–50 killed (2018).

Total Pak Army/Rangers reported killed since 2016: 240–242. That's a fair strike rate but could be better.
You may be right on the numbers (even though not officially published. I think a lot more die at the Afghan border.....). They're still 'manageable' losses for Pak, given the amount of damage they inflict on India.
Why does Pakis continue with their misadventures? Because they know very well that India's retaliation is always minimal and manageable.

Think of sniper rifle's work as 'surgical strike' spread over several days....

WARREN SS

Country flag

Never question on casualties for Pakistan

But we need to engage their Elite Official ranks like they do

After their one Brigadier injured in Our counter mortar fire

They desperately tried to assault are Post

As lost 2 SSG Commando's

Effective long range Units should be focused on taking there official ranks

They are doing same to Us
That sniping act against are Two JCO's was Old & Calculated Action to Low the Moral

Vasily Zatsev used similar tactics against German officers in stalingrad in WW2

Pakistani's have learned lot from war in Afghanistan in Unconventional warfare

What also helping them is Centralized command in Pakistan Politics

IndiaRising

Country flag

Sir, how long does it take to train a sniper? I don’t assume that just because we receive these rifles, they will be used right away. The need for quality snipers is a crucial requirement for the LoC. does the army possess enough such trained snipers?

Also, the qualified snipers themselves will need some time adjusting to this new weapons system.

Enquirer

Sir, how long does it take to train a sniper? I don’t assume that just because we receive these rifles, they will be used right away. The need for quality snipers is a crucial requirement for the LoC. does the army possess enough such trained snipers?

Also, the qualified snipers themselves will need some time adjusting to this new weapons system.
Training a sniper can take anywhere between 6 months to several years (depending on the quality of sniping required).

The best snipers in US, Russia are those that grow up hunting; in fact most of their snipers are hunters from childhood. The technical stuff is not that difficult to master (aiming, firing etc), but it's the 'hunting skill' that takes a long time. Snipers need to become comfortable laying on the ground completely motionless for long duration; even the act of pulling the trigger requires a lot of mental and physical balance. Camouflage is a whole different skill in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles