RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

Chinmoy

Country flag
Dude, a "through deck" means its going to have a full length flight deck like the Mistral or the America class. That is all that I am saying. You can call it LPD or LHD, but technically its closer to an LHD than a LPD.
Yes. But the impetus here is more towards making it a hybrid system then a dedicated one. Even if we consider Mistral or Juan Carlos in the role, the amount of AD, ASW and Surface attack capability been sought is not going to come with their existing weight class.

Moreover just a thorough deck doesn't mean it would be a LHD.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Yes. But the impetus here is more towards making it a hybrid system then a dedicated one. Even if we consider Mistral or Juan Carlos in the role, the amount of AD, ASW and Surface attack capability been sought is not going to come with their existing weight class.
Agreed. That is why the length limit of 200 meters that Indian Navy has put in the RFI is rather strange, because the only way left is to either start fitting everything a lot more tightly or increase the beam of the ship to levels hitherto unprecendented in ships of this size and tasking. Anyways, lets wait for the RFP and the final design they select. Maybe we should do a point by point comparison of the earlier MRSV RFI and the new RFI to see exactly what new features have been asked for. 16 VLS for LACM and 32 VLS for VL-SRSAM is the most obvious change, along with the focus on UAV and AUV ops. But what else was added? Well-deck size remains the same with a capacity of two LCAC. We should do a detailed comparison, and on the right thread too. @ezsasa Please move these LHD/LPD posts to a new thread.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Moreover just a thorough deck doesn't mean it would be a LHD.
Why don't NDB design it.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Through-deck literally means a full-length flight deck though. You mean it will not be similar in role to other LHDs like Mistral? Well, true that. They will have SSM, SAM and AUV capabilities that Mistral doesn't have.
With 14 helicopters on deck, it would be carrying more then what the Izumu class Helicopter destroyer carries. Leave alone the NSUAS and other UAVs.

A through deck just give it a flexibility to operate this huge load even if its below deck is stocked up.

gslv markIII

Country flag
Agreed. That is why the length limit of 200 meters that Indian Navy has put in the RFI is rather strange, because the only way left is to either start fitting everything a lot more tightly or increase the beam of the ship to levels hitherto unprecendented in ships of this size and tasking.
Is that because of the vessel length restrictions in the Vizag harbour's navy arm?

1630923440258.png

The only other 200 m restriction I know is it's the maximum length of vessel HSL can build (again due to harbour restrictions). But HSL had nothing to do with the original MRSV RFP.

pipebomb

Country flag
Well on a second thought building a clone of IAC-1 with bigger lifts might be far more cost effective for IN than procuring 4 LHDs. IAC-1 & its clone can double up as LHDs if needed. IN should go for 4 LPDs instead, of around 10k weight class which frees up money for cash starved submarine arm.

Not only LHDs built in india would lag behind indigenization percentage of IAC-1 clone. But also building follow on IAC-1 clone would help standardization of indigenous systems/parts across IAC-1 and vikky (because its not economically logical to develop systems/parts for a single ship, but if you have three or more its makes a lot of sense).

Indian Navy have to be innovatively PRUDENT if(more precisely when) they have to take on ccp's navy.
I thought its more suitable for this thread

Super falcon

Country flag

Definitely india in final stages to get mistral class ships must watch video guy has credible soirce lives in moscow works in RT russian channel has links in defence sectors

Super falcon

Country flag
This guy has some links in moscow i know him personaly he meet with me in defence exhibition in pak and airshow in dubai he has some links with indian defence attaches in moscow

India has good relation with france and india have issued tender for buying these ships mistral suits them they can even use russsian helos this freedom of weaponry of their liking suits them

They have also bought usa made lpd ship so definatelyit make sense
Guys sources is reliable he worked in russian RT channel for 3 yrs i learned alot from him i bellieve him
Guys sources is reliable he worked in russian RT channel for 3 yrs i learned alot from him i bellieve him

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This guy has some links in moscow i know him personaly he meet with me in defence exhibition in pak and airshow in dubai he has some links with indian defence attaches in moscow

India has good relation with france and india have issued tender for buying these ships mistral suits them they can even use russsian helos this freedom of weaponry of their liking suits them

They have also bought usa made lpd ship so definatelyit make sense
it doesn’t matter what inside information people have, it’s a open RFI for 4 LPD to be built in India.

since it is a open RFI, we will know which all submitted and qualified via official statements. No hurry.

Super falcon

Country flag
Yes but these mistral ships suits india more than any ship freedom of using russian weapons is only available with these ships usa spain uk wont allow it im sure mistral ships india buying

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Yes but these mistral ships suits india more than any ship freedom of using russian weapons is only available with these ships usa spain uk wont allow it im sure mistral ships india buying
Naa kaakey no mistral for us .
Egypt bought some .
Current focus is on destroeyrs friagtes and submairnes

Global Defence

New threads

Articles