RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

Knowitall

Yes. The previous MRSV RFP was for 20k ton class ship. This time it got doubled.
Wow.

So the first time we released the RFP it was 4 ships in the 20000 ton category then it got revised to 2 ships in 20000 ton category.

But now the new rfp released not only goes back to 4 ships but also increases the tonnage to 40k ton.

Thats a huge upgrade.

how fast can we expect this project to move forward lest it gets bogged down again.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Wow.

So the first time we released the RFP it was 4 ships in the 20000 ton category then it got revised to 2 ships in 20000 ton category.

But now the new rfp released not only goes back to 4 ships but also increases the tonnage to 40k ton.

Thats a huge upgrade.

how fast can we expect this project to move forward lest it gets bogged down again.
First 4 ships were basic LHD which were upgrade over 16k ton INS Jalashwa. The DWT would have been anywhere in between 20 to 30k ton.

Now this RFI is for 40k ton, but we would have to wait till the project gets finalize to know about the exact DWT.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
@Chinmoy @Knowitall
The RFI says:
Length < 200 m.
Beam Commensurate with the length and tonnage of the ship.
Draught < 08 m in full load conditions without ballasting.
Displacement Commensurate with length and draught of ship.
Did I miss something regarding displacement (40k)

Attachments

Starlight

Country flag
How can it be a 40K ton ship when the maximum length is <= 200m??
All 40K LHD are greater than that.
Yes I know that's why I was a little taken aback when I read the tonnage requirement. U.S. LHDs are that heavy, I don't believe if we need 4 then a higher tonnage would be required. A Mistral class LHD will be ideal. Strategically. Heavier, and we are looking at a small Aircraft carrier.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Yes. The previous MRSV RFP was for 20k ton class ship. This time it got doubled.
WTF? When? I didn't find anything to suggest that in the RFI. If anything, the 200 meter length limit means that the tonnage will more than likely be in the 20,000 ton class (at most it will reach 30,000 ton). Specs in the RFI are:-
Length: =< 200 meters
Draught: =< 8meters
Beam: Commensurate with length and tonnage of ship.
Displacement: Not mentioned in requirements.

Chinmoy

Country flag
@Chinmoy @Knowitall
The RFI says:
Length < 200 m.
Beam Commensurate with the length and tonnage of the ship.
Draught < 08 m in full load conditions without ballasting.
Displacement Commensurate with length and draught of ship.
Did I miss something regarding displacement (40k)
No, you have not missed it, you just need to compare sought specs with existing one of INS Jalashwa.

Armament of Jalashwa includes 4 x AK630 M CIWS and equal numbers of 50cal AA gun if I am not mistaken.

Armament sought in latest RFI includes, 4 x AK630 CIWS, 6 x HMG instead of 4 in L41 and 8 x MMG

ASW capability in existing platform is zero whereas it has been sought in latest RFI.

AD system in Jalashwa is just the 50 cals AA, but IN wants 32 x VLSRSAM. On top of that 16 x SSM has also been sought which in all probability would be BRAHMOS to begin with.

On onboard crafts list, Jalashwa could accommodate 1 LCAC whreas IN wants double of it now.

INS Jalashwa could accommodate 6 HLH, but this time IN had gone for just 2. But on other hand IN indicated that the HELI could be of 40 t category or even if we operate 2 Chinooks, it would mean 44 tons against 60 ton of present. Along with that 12 special operation helis and 2 NSUAS is going to trip the scale on much heavier side then 6 UH-3.

Complement of officers and sailors is also on heavier side this time. So with maximum load L41 DWT is at 16600 tons which is easily going to get doubled in the new platform.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
No, you have not missed it, you just need to compare sought specs with existing one of INS Jalashwa.

Armament of Jalashwa includes 4 x AK630 M CIWS and equal numbers of 50cal AA gun if I am not mistaken.

Armament sought in latest RFI includes, 4 x AK630 CIWS, 6 x HMG instead of 4 in L41 and 8 x MMG

ASW capability in existing platform is zero whereas it has been sought in latest RFI.

AD system in Jalashwa is just the 50 cals AA, but IN wants 32 x VLSRSAM. On top of that 16 x SSM has also been sought which in all probability would be BRAHMOS to begin with.

On onboard crafts list, Jalashwa could accommodate 1 LCAC whreas IN wants double of it now.

INS Jalashwa could accommodate 6 HLH, but this time IN had gone for just 2. But on other hand IN indicated that the HELI could be of 40 t category or even if we operate 2 Chinooks, it would mean 44 tons against 60 ton of present. Along with that 12 special operation helis and 2 NSUAS is going to trip the scale on much heavier side then 6 UH-3.

Complement of officers and sailors is also on heavier side this time. So with maximum load L41 DWT is at 16600 tons which is easily going to get doubled in the new platform.
Why are you comparing it with INS Jalshwa? INS Jalshwa is an LPD, these four ships will be LHD. So compare it with Mistral or Juan Carlos. Most of the specs in RFI match up with the Mistral or Juan Carlos.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles