Project Kusha - Programme LRSAM/PGLRSAM/ER-SAM/XR-SAM/ERADS Missile Systems

Fatalis

Country flag
DRDO has been working on a very long range Surface to Air missile to meet the demands of Indian Armed Forces.

Previously, the rumors were that it will be known as XRSAM and will have only one missile with ranges upto 300km.

Then the information got updated and it was called as Extended Range Air Defence System having two type of missiles - ERSAM and XRSAM having ranges 150km and 250km respectively.

Recently, there was a news report that this project is now known as Programme LRSAM and it comprises of three different types of missiles called M1, M2 and M3. These three missiles will have different ranges varying from 150km to 350km. Due to this name, the Indian Navy which was previously using LRSAM name for joint DRDO - IAI missile changed the name to MRSAM.

It was also mentioned that Project has gone to the Defence Ministry for approval.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Iron Dome has a very specific purpose; it is to shoot down short-range unguided rockets. This is relevant in the case of Hamas-style terror organizations operating against Israel, but wonder whether it would have any use against Pakistan or China.

PLA Rocket Forces (RF) would make Chinese cities legitimate targets of our long-range guided missiles if they expanded the scope of any future conflict by targeting our bordering cities. They would use standoff but may not go to the extent of hitting the cities. Having a large budget is one thing and being able to use it all in the battlefield is completely another.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
If India wants a s400 like system
First thing should be a universal luncher which will be able to fire different missile s with different range

Fatalis

Country flag
Iron Dome has a very specific purpose; it is to shoot down short-range unguided rockets. This is relevant in the case of Hamas-style terror organizations operating against Israel, but wonder whether it would have any use against Pakistan or China.

PLA Rocket Forces (RF) would make Chinese cities legitimate targets of our long-range guided missiles if they expanded the scope of any future conflict by targeting our bordering cities. They would use standoff but may not go to the extent of hitting the cities. Having a large budget is one thing and being able to use it all in the battlefield is completely another.
Actually, here the Iron Dome title is a bit of mismatch. It should be David Sling or S-400.

Fatalis

Country flag
If India wants a s400 like system
First thing should be a universal luncher which will be able to fire different missile s with different range
If you notice closely you will see there is a gradual trend in DRDO to use similiar type of cannister for different type of missiles like Akash-NG and QRSAM both have same type of cannister. We are already moving towards an universal launcher.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

“Medium-Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM), Akash New Generation missile defence systems, Air Defence System Kusha, Ballistic Missile Systems Pralay are all the contracts we are expecting to sign sometime in the coming year,” he said at the briefing.

Fatalis

Country flag

“Medium-Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM), Akash New Generation missile defence systems, Air Defence System Kusha, Ballistic Missile Systems Pralay are all the contracts we are expecting to sign sometime in the coming year,” he said at the briefing.
Project Kusha has got so much publicity.

Also, please post in the Kusha thread.

Fatalis

Country flag

Jointly developed with Israel Aerospace Industries, Israel’s major aerospace and aviation manufacturers

When did this happen?

Fatalis

Country flag
What we know so far is that there are 3 missiles under Project Kusha having possible designation - M1, M2 and M3. My guess is:
M1 - LRSAM - 150km
M2 - ERSAM - 250km
M3- XRSAM - 350km

IMO, first possibility can be:
M1 - MRSAM (Indo-Israeli dual pulse missile) + Booster
M2 - MRSAM + Bigger Booster
M3 - MRSAM + Much Bigger Booster

Another possibility can be:
M1 - Dual Pulse Missile (MRSAM) + Booster
M2 - Triple Pulse Missile ( New missile under development by DRDO)
M3 - Triple Pulse Missile + Booster

All are just my guess work.

standard snowball

Country flag
What we know so far is that there are 3 missiles under Project Kusha having possible designation - M1, M2 and M3. My guess is:
M1 - LRSAM - 150km
M2 - ERSAM - 250km
M3- XRSAM - 350km

My guess would be the 2nd one with M1 being a AD 1 variant

Last edited:

Blademaster

M1 - LRSAM - 150km
M2 - ERSAM - 250km
M3- XRSAM - 350km

How do they compare to the western, Israelis, and Russian contemporaries?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
M1 - LRSAM - 150km
M2 - ERSAM - 250km
M3- XRSAM - 350km

But using MRSAM is a no brainer when you have got similarly performing akash ng

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
My gues

M1 is MRSAM with 350mm booster weight 350+200kg, = 550kg Range 150km

M2 is MRSAM with 500mm booster weight 350+400kg, = 750kg Range 250km

M3 is MRSAM with 750mm booster weight 350+800kg=1150kg Range 350km, though this configuration looks odd. Can simply be Single stage or two stage AAD

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles