PC Hardware, Desktops, Laptops and building a Gaming Rig

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
All I see is there using path to be downloaded from https://massgrave.dev/get | iex. Are you sure what all scripts they execute are safe? Already there attempt to evade AV is a red flag for me. If you are using your system for making purchases online and storing classified personal identification documents - avoid them
There are two methods they both have been tested thoroughly by r/piracy community and for verifying it check r/piracy megathread you will find everything there it's a gift that community keeps on giving although it's been taken down 2-3 times they always rebuild

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Does anyone know if game companies on steam support actually give a f about customer? I am having problems with a game I bought

SKC

Country flag
mine is 8 years old.

Can still run most games at good FPS.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD R9 390 graphics card

Will run it for couple more years and build a new one.
4th Gen is quite old now.

Upgrade to minimum 10th gen if possible.

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
4th Gen is quite old now.

Upgrade to minimum 10th gen if possible.
true, can't upgrade to win 11 with my set up.

but it does everything pretty good.
Can play Elder Scrolls smoothly.

Anyhow, will upgrade in couple of years and use the current set up for something different.

DingDong

Country flag
Windows is so cheap now a days and comes with free upgrades.
Not sure why anyone needs unlicensed or pirated!
Fortunately for me, my Laptop shipped with hardware-bound Windows 10 home key hence I can upgrade to Windows 11 home edition for free.

I have been seeing frequent advertisements on YouTube selling Microsoft Office Professional 2021 retail license for 599 INR and Windows 11 Professional retail license for less than 400 INR. I am not sure how genuine these offers are.

Reactions: SKC

SKC

Country flag
Windows is so cheap now a days and comes with free upgrades.
Not sure why anyone needs unlicensed or pirated!
MS allows unlicensed use also now. You can keep using without activating for your personal use. They will just put the Activate windows msg on desktop wallpaper.

SKC

Country flag

Anyhow, will upgrade in couple of years and use the current set up for something different.
There are ways to upgrade to Win11 even for system now supported. You will find step by step guide online.

DingDong

Country flag
This costed 1.75L when I built it.
My GPU choice is limited by my UPS (1200 VA / 650 watts), the PSU is 750 watts gold-rated. That is why I am planning to purchase RTX 4060. What sort of UPS do you use for RTX 3080?

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Upgrading to windows 11 is easy af there are 2-3 methods some as easy as changing registery values but I don't recommend switching to 11 I didn't like it I enjoy 10 more

johnj

avoid compact laptops with powerful gpus. heat cooks all. big laptops have clearances for cooling and aren't tightly packed. The trend of blindly following macbook of making thinnest laptops aren't great if you are running laptops for longer duration. Dells too crumble after 5 years. Latest thin dell laptops have heating issues.

Sometimes I think what consumers really need is Powerful Desktop CPU. And Cheap laptop through which you log into CPU when you need performance and respite from Chair. For simple tasks and portability- Laptops should suffice.
Every thing depends on design, build quality and material used
The quality of thermal paste degrade over time

True that, my current laptop is a gaming laptop (i7 8750H, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1050ti) from late 2018 and it's performance is similar to my desktop PC from 2015 (i7 6700, 8GB RAM). I am planning to keep it for at least 3 more years until Intel's new architecture and the DDR5 technology matures.

Previous year, I built a new desktop system around i7 13700K, 32 GB RAM and the difference in productivity is enormous. I save lot of time during compilation of large programs (I am into system development). Programs run up to 5 times faster, everything feels smoother and responsive. The motherboard has got native WIFI and Bluetooth support.

One of the major advantages of the desktop PC is that I can cherry pick and upgrade/replace specific components. e.g. I am not going to upgrade my Power Supply unit and Cabinet for the next 10 years. Desktop PC also provides flexible interfacing and faster storage options.

The next item on my wish list is RTX 4060 for casual gaming.
i7 6700 is a 4 core CPU and i7 13700K is 16 hybrid core
former lack RAID for m2 ssd, current one is extremely powerful and fast
mine is 8 years old.

Can still run most games at good FPS.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD R9 390 graphics card

Will run it for couple more years and build a new one.
MoBo brand and model ??

DingDong

Country flag
Every thing depends on design, build quality and material used
The quality of thermal paste degrade over time

i7 6700 is a 4 core CPU and i7 13700K is 16 hybrid core
former lack RAID for m2 ssd, current one is extremely powerful and fast

MoBo brand and model ??
Majority of my workflow relies on the single threaded performance. i7 13700K is a beast and it does not consume lot of power on idle, which is a big plus in comparison to the comparable AMD Ryzen parts.

My point was slightly different though, while my laptop almost matched the 3 year older desktop pc in terms of performance my new desktop machine outperforms it by a huge margin. It shows that the Laptop-Desktop performance gap is still too significant to ignore.

johnj

Majority of my workflow relies on the single threaded performance. i7 13700K is a beast and it does not consume lot of power on idle, which is a big plus in comparison to the comparable AMD Ryzen parts.

My point was slightly different though, while my laptop almost matched the 3 year older desktop pc in terms of performance my new desktop machine outperforms it by a huge margin. It shows that the Laptop-Desktop performance gap is still too significant to ignore.
Gen don't matter, look at TDP, fab. exclude hybrid ones
i7 13700K is a beast and it does not consume lot of power on idle -thanks hybrid cores, AMD lacks hybrid cores
desktop cpu/gpu are very power hungry compared to laptop ones, their design also differ, there is not way lap can beat desktop in high end.
i7 13700K very powerful in single threaded performance and offer more than twice the bandwidth/lanes compared to your old one, overall at least 3x faster
and you brought brand new DRM M2 SSD also, right ??
Also
Processor Base Power 125 W
Maximum Turbo Power 253 W

omaebakabaka

it is rare to have single threaded apps now a days, have to be somewhat legacy....but you may be meaning multithreaded but per thread performance with in a multithreaded app where one thread requires high clock freq performance.....I don't now how autonomous the 12th gen cpu's are in picking pcore vs ecore...

omaebakabaka

My GPU choice is limited by my UPS (1200 VA / 650 watts), the PSU is 750 watts gold-rated. That is why I am planning to purchase RTX 4060. What sort of UPS do you use for RTX 3080?
I think you may be able to connect two batteries in parallel provided components are rated to handle the charging at same time as there would be more draw.....better would be to get new UPS as 65oW is kind of low.

DingDong

Country flag
Gen don't matter, look at TDP, fab. exclude hybrid ones
i7 13700K is a beast and it does not consume lot of power on idle -thanks hybrid cores, AMD lacks hybrid cores
desktop cpu/gpu are very power hungry compared to laptop ones, their design also differ, there is not way lap can beat desktop in high end.
i7 13700K very powerful in single threaded performance and offer more than twice the bandwidth/lanes compared to your old one, overall at least 3x faster
and you brought brand new DRM M2 SSD also, right ??
Also
Processor Base Power 125 W
Maximum Turbo Power 253 W
I installed two PCIE Gen 4 M.2 SSDs. 500 GB for the operating system and another one 1TB for general storage. I also scavenged a 1TB HDD from my old desktop PC.

it is rare to have single threaded apps now a days, have to be somewhat legacy....but you may be meaning multithreaded but per thread performance with in a multithreaded app where one thread requires high clock freq performance.....I don't now how autonomous the 12th gen cpu's are in picking pcore vs ecore...
Picking up the correct core is Operating System's responsibility. If you are using a recent OS, you are all set.

Physx32

Country flag
I don't use an UPS, just a good surge protector with MOV. My area doesn't get power cuts.

omaebakabaka

Picking up the correct core is Operating System's responsibility. If you are using a recent OS, you are all set.
You are correct but sometimes you do require your software (product not your program) to set flags or optimization hints to the low level calls....OS level stuff is usually updated by first parties to target optimzations based on hardware but not a given for applications though. Although, they are getting smart in cache hits and wordload pattern recognition. Were you comparing your i7 laptop to about same time desktop cpu?

omaebakabaka

I don't use an UPS, just a good surge protector with MOV. My area doesn't get power cuts.
Its just not powercuts, power surges are the killer....general cheap retail grade UPS will not protect you after one hit and if you are lucky then 2 hits and it will not warn you either that something is wrong and the components degrade after 3 to 5 years too.....if you live in lightening heavy or wiring that is not properly grounded at home level then it will take out your UPS as well as anything connected to it....I have seen many failures like this. Also make sure you cable/ethernet cables are also going through UPS. Best way to protect is to have full home surge protection.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles