PC Hardware, Desktops, Laptops and building a Gaming Rig

DingDong

Country flag
I had a very strange experience that I wish to share.

Few months ago I purchased a low profile keyboard (Logitech Pebble 2 K380s). The major reason was the limited desk space and I require multi-device connectivity.

Immediately after, I started experiencing this strange stiffness in some of my fingers (trigger finger) and moderate to high joint pain during the morning. I was wondering about the cause. Medical intervention did not help much.

I decided to stop using the new keyboard, gave it a break, just in case. And within a day or two the pain and stiffness was gone completely.

I have switched over to a low profile mechanical keyboard (red switches) ever since.

Please be careful while getting a keyboard and a mouse, buying a good ergonomic keyboard and mouse even though it costs lot of money is a worthy investment.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

Few months ago I purchased a low profile keyboard (Logitech Pebble 2 K380s). The major reason was the limited desk space and I require multi-device connectivity.

Immediately after, I started experiencing this strange stiffness in some of my fingers (trigger finger) and moderate to high joint pain during the morning. I was wondering about the cause. Medical intervention did not help much.

I decided to stop using the new keyboard, gave it a break, just in case. And within a day or two the pain and stiffness was gone completely.

I have switched over to a low profile mechanical keyboard (red switches) ever since.

Please be careful while getting a keyboard and a mouse, buying a good ergonomic keyboard and mouse even though it costs lot of money is a worthy investment.
yes it's quite possible to face it,
i think it's called Carpel Tunnel Syndrome - although docs and all medico community generally call it a myth that using computer for prolonged time is responsible for causing it, but...yeah 🤷‍♂️ there is a loose correlation at least

what you need to check from now on, is this data here; of course very reputed brands would be giving these numbers out
this is from Logitech's official website on that particular model of keyboard that'd been giving you troubles
1706871040122.png

there are also details like 'snap ratio' - amount of tactile feedback one could get from using the keyboard etc

in general the lower travel distance and actuation force is desired in keyboard meant for office-style moderate to high typing requirements ; but perhaps this little form factor of the keyboard is causing issues due to overall travelling distance between keys being less; as they might be quite up closer to each others, causing your fingers to land precisely on desired keys and in turn making your fingers hit them harder than they are desired for - in turn causing stress on your fingers, you know...
^of course this is my simple hypothesis based on a little experience of using a narrow-style keyboard in past and having faced irritation in fingertips from that; i generally use fullsize keyboard with numpad for typing and all

Blademaster

yeah you did the right thing by switching to a new keyboard. The value of your hands and wrists greatly outweigh the cost of getting a new keyboard.

DingDong

Country flag
Shucks! No linux support for M1/M2 apple silicons 🙁
Has Apple contributed anything? This is Apple's responsibility to provide the kernel patches and the device drivers. Reverse engineering can bring in multi-million dollar lawsuits, hence the open source community will stay as far away as possible.

DumbPilot

Country flag

DingDong

Country flag
try virtualbox or vmware if it works
but mac os is fork of BSD and there's lots of similarity between the two (linux and bsd) so yeah
The similarities are limited to the POSIX compliance (interfaces), in fact Linux is not POSIX compliant, it doesn't comply with the SuS (Single Unix Specification) either.

These superficial similarities doesn't say anything about the actual implementation and the general hardware support.

I am a system programmer, and trust me, there are several major differences between all the three operating systems.

here2where

Thanks for suggestions to take the virtual route. But i prefer to go native and do the multi boot thing. Guess i will hold off till apple supports linux on m1/m2.

Asahi looks very promising, but too bleeding edge for me.

DumbPilot

Country flag
I am a system programmer, and trust me, there are several major differences between all the three operating systems.
Should I be concerned about the amount of time you've probably spent in C and x86 assembly wishing people would switch to Rust? lol

DingDong

Country flag
Thanks for suggestions to take the virtual route. But i prefer to go native and do the multi boot thing. Guess i will hold off till apple supports linux on m1/m2.

Asahi looks very promising, but too bleeding edge for me.
Depends on what are you trying to achieve.

If you have got a spare PC/Laptop then install Linux on it and use it via SSH or Remote Desktop. If you don't have one then you can start with a SBC (Single Board Computer). Linux is not resource heavy.

Another option is to create an instance on your favorite cloud provider. AWS offers free tier compute instances.

Should I be concerned about the amount of time you've probably spent in C and x86 assembly wishing people would switch to Rust? lol
I am old enough to not get swayed by the current trends. Nothing beats C/C++ and the good old GCC.

Last edited:

here2where

Depends on what are you trying to achieve.
Looking for a small, light, powerful lappy with phool linux sappot and a proper monitor like dell ultrasharp for colour accuracy for a good home office setup. Thought will invest in an m1 macbookair and multi boot it with linux for serious stuff and macos for the fun things.

DingDong

Country flag
Looking for a small, light, powerful lappy with phool linux sappot and a proper monitor like dell ultrasharp for colour accuracy for a good home office setup. Thought will invest in an m1 macbookair and multi boot it with linux for serious stuff and macos for the fun things.
These are my personal opinions:

I am assuming that Linux is not your primary or favorite OS. You will still be using MAC/Windows for browsing the internet, listening to your favorite music, playing a game, or editing a document.

Multi-boot setup may severely reduce your productivity because you will frequently switch between the OS for different tasks and while you are using one, the other one will remain unavailable.

It takes a lot of time to get accustomed and comfortable with Linux. It is hard to fall in love with it. Most of the people using a multi-boot setup will lean towards the comfort that (Windows/MAC) offer and start avoiding Linux like a plague. You may corrupt your disk if something goes wrong while fiddling with Linux.

Having a dedicated Linux machine is a safe and convenient option. First, you will have continuous access to it, hence you will use Linux over SSH or Remote Desktop while staying within your comfort zone on MAC/Windows OS. Second, you won't harm your productivity PC, you won't mistakenly erase your disk or loose your documents while trying to install/reinstall/configure Linux. Third, you will be able to multi-task, e.g. listening to music or browsing web while working on your Linux stuff.

You just need a good old, stable laptop/PC for Linux, won't need a very powerful one. I strongly recommend a debian-based Linux distro, Ubuntu Desktop for example.

here2where

has laptops become suddenly expensive or has it always been this way?
14" screen i5 branded ones with 16 gig RAM & 512 gig SSD are going north of 65k+.

makes even the macbook air seem very VFM. never thought i would even say this one day!

another_armchair

Country flag
has laptops become suddenly expensive or has it always been this way?
14" screen i5 branded ones with 16 gig RAM & 512 gig SSD are going north of 65k+.

makes even the macbook air seem very VFM. never thought i would even say this one day!
Macbook Air is indeed VFM given the competition from Dell/HP/Lenovo.

I bought a bunch of refurbished Thinkpads for the office from a place in Rajajinagar for 21k each.

Since it is for personal use, I'd recommend macbook but treat it like a new bride for service is expensive and patchy as my friend found out after spilling coffee on the keyboard.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles