P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

J

John

yes Boeing is soon setting up a maintenance facility in India which will cater to a lot of new Boeing aircraft coming in the future for Indian airline and Air India and also current operators all across Asia and middle east.

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
Is it possible to take out nuclear submarine?
Oh sure why not?
It's the best platform to conduct ASW, SIGINT, ELINT & long range patrols.
The Indian Navy has made the right choice. But i feel that only 8 planes are not enough; they should order atleast 5-8 more.
Regards, E1

Country flag
enlightened by the time the orders are filled and the planes delivered another platform may have been developed.

enlightened1

enlightened by the time the orders are filled and the planes delivered another platform may have been developed.
Hi Lethalforce,
The P-8a will enter service with the USN in 2013 & the IN will take delivery of its last P-8i in 2016. The contract also provides an option for India to order four to eight more such planes. Operating the same kind of aircraft will keep the maintenance costs relatively low. Only Airbus is planning to develop a new ASW platform & it is only on paper as of now, ...No prototypes, no IOC, no FOC no customer yet whereas the US Navy is expected to buy more than a hundred of P-8As. Infact Airbus had offered the plane to the IN but it was rejected in favor of the P-8I. So it will make better sense for the navy to go for the additional P-8i's.
Regards,
E1

enlightened1

http://publication.samachar.com/pub_article.php?id=6857404&nextids=6854866|6857404|6857405|6823684|6857406&nextIndex=2

New Delhi: US aircraft manufacturer Boeing Co said on Monday it has started sourcing equipment worth more than $600 million from Indian firms for anti-submarine warfare planes that it is manufacturing for India.

"We have started to place contracts worth over $600 million with Indian companies for supply of indigenous equipment for manufacturing the P-8I planes," said India country head of Boeing's Integrated Defense Systems Vivek Lall.

India signed a $2.1 billion contract with Boeing in January to procure eight P-8I aircraft for its navy.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Boeing sources wares from Indian firms for maritime aircraft

BY :Economictimes
Boeing has tied up with four Indian firms to source electronic equipment to meet a part of the offsets obligations as part of its sale of eight P8-I multi-mission maritime aircraft (MMA) to the Indian Navy.
Boeing is on schedule to meet its deadline for supplying the aircraft to [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]India[/COLOR][/COLOR] by 2013, Vivek Lall, vice president and country head for Boeing Integrated Defense Systems (IDS), was quoted as telling India Strategic defence magazine.
The company will meet its commitments in terms of timeline and offsets obligations, he added.
Boeing had recently signed agreements with three Indian public sector companies and one private sector firm to source some avionics and electronic equipment, but Lall gave no specific details.
“Boeing has released purchase contracts to the Electronics Corp of India Ltd (ECIL), HAL Avionics Division, Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) and Avantel Softech Ltd,” he said.
Equipment and software from the Indian suppliers will be taken to Seattle, where the world’s largest factory makes Boeing’s commercial [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]airplanes[/COLOR][/COLOR], for integration with the systems supplied by US companies.
The $2.1-billion deal, signed after a global tender, entails a 30-per cent offsets commitment for Boeing, envisaging much more worth of investments back into India and some transfer of [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]technology[/COLOR][/COLOR].
Boeing, however, is supplying only aircraft built on a modern Boeing 737-800 platform, and Harpoon Block II anti-ship/submarine missiles. The onboard combat systems supplied by other companies are part of the deal but being acquired through the US government under its foreign military sales programme.
The P8-I deal is a package of the Boeing 737-800 hybrid aircraft, Raytheon’s advanced AN/APY-10 synthetic aperture radar (SAR) for tracking ships, submarines and small coastal vessels even on high speed.
Also included is Northrop Grumman’s electronic warfare self-protection suite, BAE [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Systems[/COLOR][/COLOR]‘ countermeasures dispenser system, Smith Aerospace’s flight and stores (or weapons) management system, and GE-SAFRAN’s powerful CFM 56-7 engines.
Besides the crew, the aircraft can have up to seven operator consoles to tackle various threats.
Official sources indicated that the initial payment in accordance with the contract towards its implementation had been made by the Indian defence ministry.
India will be the first country to get this sophisticated technology, and nearly around the same time when the US Navy, which has paid for its development, gets it. The aircraft is under test now.
Though the onboard technologies are the most sophisticated developed so far, there is scope for future technology insertions due to the aircraft’s open architecture, said Lall, a distinguished Indian origin aerospace expert settled in the US.

Boeing sources wares from Indian firms for maritime aircraft IDRW.ORG

pankaj nema

Country flag
what about CISMOA which is nothing but a mechanism to spy on our naval reconnaissannce activities . should we really trust all the gadgets that would be installed
in the planes after we have signed CISMOA

THE GOI is delaying signing this agreement maybe having second thoughts on the whole thing.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Friday, February 05, 2010

On Navy Demand, Indian P-8 To Have Aft Radar, Air-to-Air Mode

The eight Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaisance and anti-submarine warfare (LRMR-ASW) aircraft for the Indian Navy will be fitted with aft radars following a demand by the Indian Navy, Boeing has revealed at the Singapore Air Show. In addition, the P-8I's primary sensor, the Raytheon-built AN/APY-10 radar will be given an air-to-air mode -- something the Indian Navy has insisted on. The Navy has asked for the aft radar based on the fact that the APY-10 provides only 240° forward coverage. The US is also making available to India the new RaytheonFish Hawk GPS-guidance wing kit along with MK-54 anti-submarine torpedoes as part of the weapons package.

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/02/on-navy-demand-indian-p-8-to-have-aft.html

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Boeing outlines further slip to P-8 programme

BY : Flight International
Boeing expects to fly its first P-8 multi-mission maritime aircraft to a US Navy test site in the third quarter of this year, following a fresh schedule delay.
Director of business development for airborne battle management Tim Norgart says development aircraft T1 and T2 are now in Seattle undergoing flight tests, and that the first will to be moved to NAS Patuxent River in six months.
Boeing had planned to ferry the test aircraft to the Maryland site last September, and then delayed the event until the first quarter of this year. Norgart says both aircraft could be moved sooner, but that the USN needs more time to prepare its test facilities.
The USN plans to order 117 of the 737-based type, while Boeing is also working to sell a P-8I version to the Indian navy.
Speaking at the Singapore air show, Norgart revealed that the company is “in the process of integrating an aft radar” with the P-8 to meet Indian requirements for 360° coverage and an air-to-air surveillance capability.
The work is being conducted with Raytheon, which already provides the APY-10 radar for the P-8. The nose-mounted sensor currently provides a coverage of 240°.

http://idrw.org/?p=429#more-429

s_bman

Boeing in $4.5 mn deal with HAL for P-8I weapons bay doors

New Delhi: The Boeing company said on Thursday it had inked a USD 4.5 million (Rs.225 million) deal with state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for weapons bay doors for the eight maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine aircraft the Indian Air Force (IAF) is purchasing from the US aerospace major.

"A contract has been signed with HAL for the delivery of weapons bay doors and the first delivery will be by the end of 2010," Vivek Lall, country head Of Boeing Defence, Space and Security, told reporters here.

The deal for the eight P8-I aircraft is worth USD 1.1 billion, of which Boeing has to reinvest USD 640 million in India as part of its offsets obligations

"Although HAL provides other equipment for the P-8I through its avionics division in Hyderabad, this is the first P-8I offset package that Boeing has directly executed with India's largest aerospace company," Lal added.

"HAL's consistent performance in quality, cost and delivery in manufacturing aerostructures and composite assemblies is the key to securing further orders from Boeing, with whom we share a strong relationship," said Soundara Rajan, HAL's director for corporate planning and marketing.

The P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the US Navy. India is the first international customer for the P-8. Boeing will deliver the first P-8I to India within 48 months of the original contract signing, which took place in January 2009.

"The P-8I is a true multi-mission maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) that features greater flexibility and a broader range of capabilities then MPAs currently in service," a Boeing statement said.

"It can operate effectively over land or water while performing anti-submarine warfare missions; search and rescue; maritime interdiction; and long-range intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance," the statement added.

HAL has alredy begun supplying fuselage parts for the formidable Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet combat jet in what is seen as global recognition for the Indian aeronautical industry. The F-18 is one of the six aircraft contending for an IAF order for 126 jets.

HAL has already sent five sets of the F-18's gun bay doors (GBDs) to Boeing and 13 more are under manufacture as part of an initial contract.

Lall, said this contract was not tied to India buying the F-18 but was part of a Boeing initiative to source $1 billion worth of parts and services from HAL.

http://www.zeenews.com/news603321.html

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
BAE Systems to Provide Mission Computer Systems for Indian Navy Patrol Aircraft

01 Mar 2010 | Ref. 049/2010
GREENLAWN, New York - BAE Systems is developing the mission computer system suite for the P-8I aircraft for the Indian Navy. The aircraft is a variant of the U.S. Navy's P-8A Poseidon.

Developed by a Boeing-led team, the P-8I is a multi-mission maritime patrol aircraft with a broader range of capabilities to operate over land or water while performing anti-submarine warfare; search and rescue; and long-range intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, and reconnaissance.
"Maritime surveillance and patrol is becoming more and more important to effective defense," said Donna Linke-Klein, director of mission computers and antenna solutions for BAE Systems. "The P-8I mission computer system provides superior interoperability for the future battle space."
BAE Systems' mission computer system suite for the P-8I is a flexible and ruggedized processing platform that can be configured to meet the general purpose, input and output, video, voice, and graphics processing needs for modern military battle management requirements.
The P-8A Poseidon is a long-range; anti-submarine warfare; anti-surface warfare; intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance aircraft. The Indian government selected Boeing to provide eight P-8I aircraft to fill its maritime patrol needs, replacing Tupolev Tu-142M aircraft.
BAE Systems will begin deliveries to Boeing in 2011.

http://www.baesystems.com/Newsroom/NewsReleases/autoGen_1102118581.html

Agantrope

Dynamatic Tech inks deal with Boeing for P8I

Dynamatic Technologies today announced that it has signed a contract with Boeing for the manufacture of cabinets to house critical power & mission Equipment for the P81 program.
The P81 is a maritime surveillance aircraft from Boeing, customized for the Indian Navy, for which the ministry of defense in India has placed an order on Boeing.
The contract which was signed on Mar. 19, 2010, is significant for Dynamatic as it is the first instance of the company receiving a direct order from Boeing, one of the largest aerospace companies in the world.
Dynamatic and Boeing are working towards having the First Article ready for inspection by October 2010.
Shares of the company gained Rs 36.4, or 3.31%, to trade at Rs 1,135. The total volume of shares traded was 1,842 at the BSE

http://idrw.org/?p=919

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Dynamatic Aerospace, Boeing sign deal for P81 cabinets
19 March 2010

Dynamatic Aerospace, a part of Dynamatic Technologies, today signed a contract with Boeing for the manufacture of cabinets to house critical power and mission equipment for Boeing's P8I maritime surveillance aircraft.
Boeing is customising the P8I maritime surveillance aircraft for the Indian Navy, for which the ministry of defence has placed an order on Boeing, Dynamatic Tech said in filing with the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
The contract is significant for Dynamatic as it is the first time the company is receiving a direct order from aerospace major Boeing, the release said, adding, "Dynamatic and Boeing are working towards having the first article ready for inspection by October 2010."
Dynamatic Aerospace, a division of Dynamatic Technologies, is in the fabrication of parts required for the Russia-made Su-30 MKI fighter plane for the Indian Air Force.

Last week, Dynamatic Aerospace received the Boeing quality management system (BQMS) approval, and, is now a Boeing-approved supplier.
Dynamatic Aerospace was conferred the BQMS on the basis of the recognition documentation from UL DQS Inc, which the division had submitted to Boeing.
Dynamatic is already an Airbus-approved supplier, and now, with the BQMS approval in hand, the aerospace division of Dynamatic is uniquely positioned to further augment its leadership position in the Indian private sector by collaborating with international aerospace majors on export initiatives, a company release said.

http://www.domainb.com/aero/aero_general/20100319_dynamatic_aerospace.html

plugwater

Indian-designed Data Link II delivered to Boeing

NEW DELHI: US defence major Boeing on Wednesday announced receiving in April the first Indian-made technology enabling exchange of tactical data and messages between aircraft, ships and shore-based assets for Indian Navy's P-8I surveillance aircraft from Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).

The Indian-designed Data Link II, delivered by BEL one month ahead of schedule, is the first Indian-manufactured item delivered to Boeing as part of the P-8I program, Boeing officials said in New Delhi.

India had signed a deal worth $2.1 billion in 2009 with Boeing for procuring eight P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft to augment and replace its Russian-origin fleet.

The Data Link-II will be installed on the P-8I during its final assembly at the Boeing facility in Renton, Seattle.

"Our deepening partnership with Bharat Electronics Limited endorses our ongoing initiative to build and strengthen the aerospace supply chain," Boeing India President Dinesh Keskar said.

Noting that Data Link II represented the first P-8I industrial participation project by the company in the area of avionics systems, Boeing Defence, Space and Security, India head Vivek Lall said, "Boeing contracted BEL in August 2009 to build this critical communications technology, and they have done an outstanding job by delivering on their commitment."

Speaking on the occasion, BEL Chairman Ashwani Kumar Datt said the milestone was a demonstration of BEL's capability to deliver cutting-edge work in avionics, software and structural components.

BEL will deliver the last of the Data Link components in late 2011.

Boeing is expected to deliver the first of the eight P-8I aircraft to the Navy by 2013. India is the first international customer for the P-8 programme of the US.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...I-delivered-to-Boeing/articleshow/5921211.cms

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles