MiG-29/35 Fulcrums

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
A foryh generation plane eith less than 4 th generation electtonics. Had Russia made it low observanility aircraft eith good electronics, it would have been a great plane. It is great in dog fight but lacks in other areas.
Mig 35 ? Nah , it's pretty good

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
While Mig 29 came in, One western think tank had describe it in best way. He told that it is a 4th generation plane with Third generation Electronics. Russina Planes are master pieces of engineering but always lacked on Electronic. Over a period of time they lagged behind in engine and RCS as well. Making a low RCS plane was never on the agenda of Russia till they came out with Su 30. From Su35 onwards, they started focusing on RCS. On the other hand French planes used best electronics. Even Israel is very good in electronics. US is very good in Stealth and Electronics and engine.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
What are the two tiny stubby things on the wing tips?
Luneberg lens probably, to hide real RCS.
Maybe or could be a RWR sensor
They are likely a type of sensor. They can't be the Israeli ELT-568 jamming pods either because it's too small to be the ELT-568. I have seen a photo of a MiG-29UPG with a ELT-568 mounted on one it's vertical stabilizers. It's most likely an RWR or some other pod based sensor as stated by another poster here.

I don't think it's a luneberg lens, actually I don't the MiG-29UPG or any 4th gen aircraft in the IAF or any AF in the world be it the RuAF, PLAAF, USAF, RAF uses luneberg lens on 4th gen aircraft because irrespective of what you do, it's very easy to determine the RCS of a conventional aircraft such as JF-17, F-16, M-2000, Tejas, Su-30MKI compared to a stealth aircraft such as J-20, J-35, B-2, Su-57, F-35 or F-22. For e.g, both Ukraine and Russia have Su-27 so both the countries know the exact RCS of these jets, another example is Turkey and Greece with their F-16s. I have yet to see a photo of a conventional 4th gen aircraft with radar reflectors.

Stealth aircraft are in another league. Their RCS is something that every country fielding them wishes to conceal their true RCS.

Anyways here is an IAF MiG-29UPG with various sensors.
IMG_20240621_132922.jpg

Articles