Nirbhay Cruise Missile Development

sathya

Country flag
No news about launch of nirbhay. They said launch will take place in jan

you are asking as if tomorrow is FEB 1. jan started only today.

you should know about our DRDO, when they mean JAN it almost means JAN 31

since this is a cruise missile test, no need for notification of other countries, so there will be announcement only after the test.

HAPPY NEW YEAR :thumb:

WMD

Wondered why would INDIA BUY 1000 AL 31 engines ?

guess what it must be mistaken by reporters for NIRBHAY engine.. :welcome:
both the dimension and weight of AL-31FP engine is too big for Nirbhay.

sathya

Country flag
both the dimension and weight of AL-31FP engine is too big for Nirbhay.
Its not AL 31Fp engine, tthat its what i meant to say..

India has signed so many deals for sukhoi aircraft that includes the engines.
why do have to buy 1000 spare engines ? with 100+ aircrfts with already paid engines are still to be inducted.

Last edited:

WMD

Its not AL 31Fp engine, tthat its what i meant to say..

India has signed so many deals for sukhoi aircraft that includes the engines.
why do have to buy 1000 spare engines ? with 100+ aircrfts with already paid engines are still to be inducted.
in its lifetime an aircraft undergoes 3 engine changes, considering total no. of MKIs to b 272 finally and each having twin engine, well u can do the math.

sathya

Country flag
^^^^ why the heck, we should buy it for its life time, after say two engine changes (including the first fitted) we can go for a newly derived or upgraded engine right?

using same engine type for 4 decades :shocked:

okay last post of myn which has gone off topic..:namaste:

WMD

there's a retired defense professional(IN) on another forum who told me that they had tested Nirbhay in secrecy and when i asked for the source he said for obvious reasons he can't give the source. i'm not sure if its true.
@sathya
the contract for 1000 AL-31FP has already been signed
it's a good engine with good thrust and TVC
we r not buying it for its lifetime its just a contract
and u can't just put any eng. in any fighter so any upgradation has to b carefully planned
all the reports say the contract is specifically for AL-31FP eng. so i'm not sure speculating diff. will take us anywhere

Last edited by a moderator:

Bheeshma

Seriously about time DRDO tested the nirbhay and made it public. 1200-1500 km is good for starters and then increase to 3000km.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
there's a retired defense professional(IN) on another forum who told me that they had tested Nirbhay in secrecy and when i asked for the source he said for obvious reasons he can't give the source. i'm not sure if its true.
@sathya
the contract for 1000 AL-31FP has already been signed
it's a good engine with good thrust and TVC
we r not buying it for its lifetime its just a contract
and u can't just put any eng. in any fighter so any upgradation has to b carefully planned
all the reports say the contract is specifically for AL-31FP eng. so i'm not sure speculating diff. will take us anywhere
all those Lakysha PTA tests :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bheeshma

I hope so. There are so many Lakshya and Prithvi tests. Who knows whats getting tested.

sasi

I am expecting the test this weekend.

JAISWAL

Nirbhay to be test-fired in February

TNN | Jan 19, 2013, 02.46 AM IST
Source-- Nirbhay to be test-fired in February - The Times of India

HYDERABAD: Nirbhay, India's first subsonic cruise missile, will be test-fired by the end ofFebruary, said V K Saraswat, director general of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and scientific advisor to defence minister A K Antony. Saraswat was speaking to the media during a seminar on 'Nurturing, Managing and Institutionalising Innovation' organised by the Defence Research and Develoment Laboratory (DRDL) here on Friday.

While 2012 was an eventful year for the defence organisation with almost a dozen successful launches of various kinds of missiles, this year also promises to be big with many more plans underway. "Nirbhay will be a medium-range cruise missile with advantages like the ability of not being detected and high accuracy. It is also a cheaper option," Saraswat said.

Asked if there were any hitches in test-firing the missile as it was expected to have taken place sometime back, Saraswat said some processes had been developed and there were no hitches.

This year, a major plan of the DRDO is 'canisterisation' of Agni IV and Agni V, which will enable firing of the missile from any platform. Another plan was to integrate Astra-III with Sukhoi. He said four Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would be produced this year and in 2014, the necessary operational clearances would be sought.

The DRDO has also carried out 50 of the 56 modifications sought for the Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun Mark-II variant by the user. The rest of the modifications will be carried out in the next few months. Saraswat said the Long Range Cruise Missile (LRCM) will have all futuristic features.

Saraswat informed that they had got permissions for the missile testing range proposed at Machilipatnam. "It is a barren piece of land and we will turn it into a green area. There will be no environmental issues," he said. Talking about the civilian applications of defence technology, he said that the bio-digesters (toilets) were much in demand and there was a proposal with the tourism ministry on using them in buses.

Another important application would be the kit for detection of dengue. The kits developed by DRDO will take just two hours to confirm a dengue case while the kits available elsewhere take 24 hours. Saraswat said that the technology has already been transferred to manufacturers of the anti-mosquito 'attracticide', which is available in the market.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
good news in CM front is that a part from Nirbhy (MRCM), we will have LRCM.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
India to launch sub-sonic missile, Nirbhay, next month: DRDO

BANGALORE (PTI): India would flight test sub-sonic, medium range cruise missile Nirbhay, next month, a key defence official said Friday.

Nirbhay is being developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a Defence Research and Development Organisation lab based in Bangalore, V K Saraswat, Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister, told a press conference here.

"This is in the final stage of integration and we expect to launch it next month", Saraswat, also Secretary in the Department of Defence (R&D) and DRDO Director General, said.

He said Nirbhay has good loitering capability, good control and guidance, high degree of accuracy in terms of impact and very good stealth features.

ADE Director P S Krishnan said Nirbhay would be launched from Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Orissa.

India to launch sub-sonic missile, Nirbhay, next month: DRDO - Brahmand.com

Reactions: WMD

Patriot

Country flag
good news in CM front is that a part from Nirbhy (MRCM), we will have LRCM.
BMs has been mastered to a great extent now it's turn for the Cruise Missiles. 2013 to 2014 is going to be very interesting from CM development point of view. We can expect to see entire range of Cruise missiles like Nirbhay -I, II, III & of course Nirbhay-V.

My wish to sse one 3500 KM range stealthy CM as our LRCM.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
India to launch sub-sonic missile, Nirbhay, next month: DRDO

BANGALORE (PTI): India would flight test sub-sonic, medium range cruise missile Nirbhay, next month, a key defence official said Friday.

Nirbhay is being developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a Defence Research and Development Organisation lab based in Bangalore, V K Saraswat, Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister, told a press conference here.

"This is in the final stage of integration and we expect to launch it next month", Saraswat, also Secretary in the Department of Defence (R&D) and DRDO Director General, said.

He said Nirbhay has good loitering capability, good control and guidance, high degree of accuracy in terms of impact and very good stealth features.

ADE Director P S Krishnan said Nirbhay would be launched from Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Orissa.

India to launch sub-sonic missile, Nirbhay, next month: DRDO - Brahmand.com
hope no more delays........................

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Nirbhay Cruise Missile Test Next Month: DRDO

India's Nirbhay cruise weapon will be tested in February, DRDO chief Dr V.K. Saraswat said at a press conference last week in Bangalore. This is the first time in over a year that a definite time-frame has been provided on the mysterious programme. Last checked, the missile was to have been tested in July-August 2012.

As I've earlier reported, this will be, without a doubt, the most significant weapon test since, perhaps, the Agni-III. The Nirbhay, shrouded in secrecy for long, is understood to be a two-stage high subsonic cruise missile with loitering capabilities. Sources suggest that apart from the engine (apparently supplied by NPO Saturn), the rest of the system is fully indigenous

Livefist: Nirbhay Cruise Missile Test Next Month: DRDO

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles