Nirbhay Cruise Missile Development

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Actually not, when missile is sea skimming with 3 times faster speed, the processing speed of the electronic component must be 3 times faster than that on the subsonic missile. Consider other factors, such as background noise, the maneuvering, etc, etc, this kind of weapon is ease to lost their target in the terminal stage (the last 30 seconds)
that's why in terminal stage on board seeker on the missile takes over the control. the seeker of brahmos is having range of 20 km
IMG_20200401_130349.jpg

no smoking

Country flag
I don't think classical mecanical radar can track vertically on a ship. Even AESA radar like Aegis are limited to a max 70°, probably less.
Don't forget the fleet air defense circle is built by several destroyers, when the missile is in the radar blind area of one destroyer, it is actually covered by the radars of other destroyers.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
that's why in terminal stage on board seeker on the missile takes over the control. the seeker of brahmos is having range of 20 km
View attachment 45025

..................................................................................................................................................................

no smoking

Country flag
You don't understand what I am talking about. Every anti-ship got a terminal seeker, the faster the missile flies, the more challenges to the seeker.

One issue is the background noise and enemy's countermeasure. The seeker need to filter all these but the real target. when you travel 3 times faster, however, the speed of filtering need to be 3 times faster as well. It is just like driving in the rain, given the same rain condition, the faster the car is, the more rain drops on your screen in the same period of time. Then you need your winder wiper to move faster.

Another issue is the maneuvor of the terminal stage. Think about the truck running the corner, the faster the truck is, the larger circle it needs to run. Same applies to the missile, so the result would be a larger extent that warhead direct moves away from the target. During this period, the target may move out of seeker's detecting area. When the missile's warhead re-direct towards the target, the seeker will re-lock the target. However, this re-lock need time. But the time is available is reduced again by the speed of the missile.

Craigs

Country flag
You don't understand what I am talking about. Every anti-ship got a terminal seeker, the faster the missile flies, the more challenges to the seeker.

One issue is the background noise and enemy's countermeasure. The seeker need to filter all these but the real target. when you travel 3 times faster, however, the speed of filtering need to be 3 times faster as well. It is just like driving in the rain, given the same rain condition, the faster the car is, the more rain drops on your screen in the same period of time. Then you need your winder wiper to move faster.

Another issue is the maneuvor of the terminal stage. Think about the truck running the corner, the faster the truck is, the larger circle it needs to run. Same applies to the missile, so the result would be a larger extent that warhead direct moves away from the target. During this period, the target may move out of seeker's detecting area. When the missile's warhead re-direct towards the target, the seeker will re-lock the target. However, this re-lock need time. But the time is available is reduced again by the speed of the missile.
Are you saying every Russian Supersonic cruise missile or hybrid missile developed to this day is useless? Only Chinese DF-21 works?

Last edited:

Craigs

Country flag
Why do you think that in all cases truck turning radius will increase with speed? Hint - independent torque distribution.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Are you saying every Russian Supersonic cruise missile or hybrid missile developed to this day is useless? Only Chinese DF-21 works?
No. He just wrote that to find a ship, at a mach2+ speed, on see skimming (ie with clutter, rough sea, maybe rain...) and in a electronic counter measure ambiance is not so easy. But not impossible !

Craigs

Country flag
No. He just wrote that to find a ship, at a mach2+ speed, on see skimming (ie with clutter, rough sea, maybe rain...) and in a electronic counter measure ambiance is not so easy. But not impossible !
His argument seemed to suggest that it was impossible. But why would the Russians waste so much money if their sensor cannot work at Mach 3 speeds? Or require uncontested, calm seas and good weather to work? As far as I know the Russians have been at it since the 70s.

IndianHawk

Country flag
His argument seemed to suggest that it was impossible. But why would the Russians waste so much money if their sensor cannot work at Mach 3 speeds? Or require uncontested, calm seas and good weather to work? As far as I know the Russians have been at it since the 70s.
He is speaking from Chinese experience. Chinese seeker struggle even at subsonic speeds . So he idiotically thinks everyone's seekers are shitty. LMAO.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
At less than 40km range. So most probably LOBL.

At least Chinese sensors work at close range. So why do some people think Russian sensors are no good even though they have been at it longer?
Never underestimate a country that lands rover on the moon....

IndianHawk

Country flag

At least Chinese sensors work at close range. So why do some people think Russian sensors are no good even though they have been at it longer?
bTW this idiocy by china spurred Israel to partner with India to develop lrsam. Lol.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Range of Brahmos is now 450 km, but targeting a moving ship 450 km away is very difficult. We need to find ways to relay real time information of the target ship's location to Brahmos, from long range. I think satellites or aerial surveillance will be the answer.

no smoking

Country flag
Are you saying every Russian Supersonic cruise missile or hybrid missile developed to this day is useless?
Where did I say that? I simply point out such the weakness of such kind of weapon.

Only Chinese DF-21 works?
If you check my past comment about DF-21, you can see that I was always doubtful about the efficiency of DF-21.

Craigs

Country flag
Where did I say that? I simply point out such the weakness of such kind of weapon.

If you check my past comment about DF-21, you can see that I was always doubtful about the efficiency of DF-21.
I don't believe you are pointing out the weakness of the weapon. Rather you are exposing the weakness of your thinking process. Using simple examples to explain complex technology. Ever wondered why there are no wipers on a fighter plane canopy? And yet fighter planes can fly just fine in the rain.

no smoking

Country flag
First of all, Iran's C802 is a sub-sonic cruise missile exported by Chinese in last 1990s, the working environment of its sensor is lot easier than sensor on the supersonic missile. So, there is no direct logic link Chinese sensor and Russian sensor..
Secondly, the Russian sensor is VERY GOOD. But because of the missile speed, it is facing more challenge than others. It is just like a Olympic champion may shoot down 2 of 10 targets when he is running at full speed, while I can shoot 4 target in static status. Who do you think is better?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles